Fly away problem
1775 13 2019-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dkaff
lvl.1
United States

Hello all,

Has anyone had any problems with the drone flying away on its own?  I received my Mavic Mini on 11/12/19 and was really anxious to fly it.  I live a few miles from an airport but had the Spark for awhile and was always able to fly it.  Anyway, every time I attempted to fly the mini I always received the "cannot take off" message.  It said that I lived in a restricted area.  Funny, because when I use the B4UFLY app it gives me the all clear.  Well, last Friday I was trying to get a screenshot of the message (for DJI) and oddly enough was able to take off, so I did.  As soon as I got it off of the ground though it started to head toward my house (there was no wind).  I was able to clear the house though and took it on up.  Instead of going straight up though, it was heading West and climbing rapidly  After a few seconds I got the "restricted zone" message again and the app said that it was landing.  Well, it was totally out of my line of site by this time and I had no idea where it was landing.  I hopped in my car and was able to find it, via the find my drone feature.  It had landed in a center median of a busy street.  It was upside down, had some plant matter wound around one of the props, the cover was coming off and one of the plastic clips on the gimble had snapped.  Of course I was really disappointed.  Yes, I should have had the prop protectors and didn't.  Luckily I had purchased the care refresh package.  It seems like if it allows you to take it up then it shouldn't decide it has to land.  A bit frustrating.
2019-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You really need to post your flight log, if this was some malfunction you shouldn’t have to use your care refresh.
If you follow link below you will get instructions how to post.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-11-19
Use props
that_HMMWV_guy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59511 ft
United States

I live in a authorization zone and the app won't let me take off. If I hurry and launch the drone before the satellites connect I can take off and fly, but I get a notice that I'm in a restricted zone and it tells me it will auto land in 60 seconds. It allows me to maneuver however I want and it auto lands after the countdown is up. Mine has never tried to fly away. Did you calibrate the compass and IMU?
2019-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident with your DJI Mavic Mini. I would recommend you to contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) for further assistance.  We have the professional team who would do their best to  assists you with regards to this matter. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for a swift resolution.
2019-11-19
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like it took off before getting a gps lock; so in attitude mode, right? Only way to take off in an authorization zone right now is in attitude mode.
2019-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alan E Posted at 11-19 13:32
Sounds like it took off before getting a gps lock; so in attitude mode, right? Only way to take off in an authorization zone right now is in attitude mode.

Agree, sounds like Atti mode,  but if he posted the log we can tell for sure.
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 01:02
Agree, sounds like Atti mode,  but if he posted the log we can tell for sure.

Is there no way to disable ATTI mode completely?
2019-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-20 01:25
Is there no way to disable ATTI mode completely?

Atti mode kicks in when you loose GPS,  what would you expect it to do instead.
2019-11-20
Use props
dkaff
lvl.1
United States

Thanks all!  I will find the log file and post it here.
2019-11-21
Use props
dkaff
lvl.1
United States

Hi again!  I have my flight log.  How can i upload it?
2019-11-23
Use props
Elias22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105180 ft
Finland

dkaff Posted at 11-23 14:56
Hi again!  I have my flight log.  How can i upload it?
I recommend uploding to google drive or dropbox and then sharing the folder link here.
2019-11-23
Use props
dkaff
lvl.1
United States

Elias22 Posted at 11-23 15:10
I recommend uploding to google drive or dropbox and then sharing the folder link here.

Will do, thanks!
2019-11-24
Use props
dkaff
lvl.1
United States

Well, after looking at the flight log, it appears that it was entirely my error.  I took off without a GPS lock, then flew around a bit.  The GPS lock was eventually obtained at a point not too far from where I was at.  Then it must have triggered the no fly zone thing, which put it into auto land mode.  It just so happens that when it landed, it must have hit something.  Then, because I didn't know where it was I attempted to get it back up, which probably resulted in it hitting something again.  So, it was user error.  Terrible.  It feels pretty awful knowing that it was all my error.   I'm still not sure why it took off so fast and headed toward my house, but maybe in a panic, I tried to over correct it.  Thanks again everyone for your help.  I will still post the flight log.
2019-11-24
Use props
dkaff
lvl.1
United States

dkaff Posted at 11-24 07:27
Well, after looking at the flight log, it appears that it was entirely my error.  I took off without a GPS lock, then flew around a bit.  The GPS lock was eventually obtained at a point not too far from where I was at.  Then it must have triggered the no fly zone thing, which put it into auto land mode.  It just so happens that when it landed, it must have hit something.  Then, because I didn't know where it was I attempted to get it back up, which probably resulted in it hitting something again.  So, it was user error.  Terrible.  It feels pretty awful knowing that it was all my error.   I'm still not sure why it took off so fast and headed toward my house, but maybe in a panic, I tried to over correct it.  Thanks again everyone for your help.  I will still post the flight log.

Oh, and which format should I download the flight log in?  The options are KXL and CSV.
2019-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules