real time orientation display
4699 17 2019-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

I use a Redmi 5 plus as control display. It should be the same as the Redmi Note 5.
The real time orientation display does not work at all. It shows the aircraft in a fixed position behind the controller. It does also not change the arrow direction regardless of the orientation. I can fly wherever in whichever direction and the real time orientation display remains frozen. The compass in the phone works correct and is proper calibrated.
Bug or compatibility issue?  
Except for live video which stutters badly when caching option is selected everything appears to work ok.

2019-11-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused, With regards to the said issue. Prior from encountering this issue. Was there any firmware update done on the drone? And with regards to the compass calibration have you tried to calibrate the compass of the drone in a different location. I would also recommend please try refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 to isolate the issue. In addition, I will be posting a link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads ) for the DJI Assistant 2 and an official DJI Tutorial Video for the firmware refresh. Please keep us posted for further assistance Thank you.

2019-11-21
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-21 16:37
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused, With regards to the said issue. Prior from encountering this issue. Was there any firmware update done on the drone? And with regards to the compass calibration have you tried to calibrate the compass of the drone in a different location. I would also recommend please try refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 to isolate the issue. In addition, I will be posting a link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads ) for the DJI Assistant 2 and an official DJI Tutorial Video for the firmware refresh. Please keep us posted for further assistance Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZE-fP28htI

thank you for responding. I have calibrated the phone compass and verified its performance. I have also rebooted the phone, cleared all caches and finally reinstalled the app. The problem persists however.
I made an error in observation
The live orientation display is not frozen and responds fundamentally. But it gives wrong readings. When the AC is in front of the controller the display shows it is behind and vice versa. Turning the phone up so that it is reversed and I look from underneath it shows front and back right but wrong sides. My guess is that the app interprets the compass data from the phone not appropriately. Of course I can use the map display but it is very irritating to have a gauge on the screen that works wrong and erodes confidence.
2019-11-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

oldhasbeen Posted at 11-21 17:56
thank you for responding. I have calibrated the phone compass and verified its performance. I have also rebooted the phone, cleared all caches and finally reinstalled the app. The problem persists however.
I made an error in observation
The live orientation display is not frozen and responds fundamentally. But it gives wrong readings. When the AC is in front of the controller the display shows it is behind and vice versa. Turning the phone up so that it is reversed and I look from underneath it shows front and back right but wrong sides. My guess is that the app interprets the compass data from the phone not appropriately. Of course I can use the map display but it is very irritating to have a gauge on the screen that works wrong and erodes confidence.

Hi. Thank you the additional information. For better assistance. Kindly please provide a sample video of the said issue. Thank you.
2019-11-22
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

this is very annoying. i have just spent half an hour to compose a description and to upload three pictures to illustrate things. where my whole message just disappeared after importing the first pix.
I do this now in three installments.
First of all I have verified that phone compass does work properly when used in the DJI Go 4 app with my P4p. The "Radar" display works correct ant the north point is following correctly the phone compass. Phone compass works also correct with some long trusted apps I have been using for many years now on different phones with different android versions. AlpineQuest, GPS Test plus are amongst the proper working apps.
One inclinometer app shows the compass needle wrong way round and here may be a hint.
The first pix shows the placement of the ac on the ground.
IMG_20191124_080818.jpg
2019-11-23
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

screenshot taken with ac in front of controller antennas facing ac rear.
app shows falsely ac as behind the controller.

screenshot same location as 1 where controller is turned horizontally by 180 degrees and antennas face away from ac.
App shows falsely that ac is in front of controller and operator assumes that moving forward will bring ac towards homepoint. In fact would this take the ac away from the homepoint until connection was lost. Disaster in waiting.

please note that the pix below are uploaded in reverse order and understand that this is only a sequential error. The false orientation display is real and fully repeatable.
I guess this could be immediately understood by the relevant software engineer.
AC in front.jpg
Controller behind .jpg
2019-11-23
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

Hi DJI Paladin
I did not get any further "response" from you even though I try hard to get this issue straight.
Do I not provide the right cue to trigger your response algorithm?
Or do you operate already on a 128bit platform and won't correspond with a lowly 64 biter?
Please don't abandon me HAL.
HAL? ..... HAAAAL !!!!!
2019-11-28
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

Having noticed that the real time orientation display is absent if the AC has no gps lock it sort of indirectly clicked.
I usually have my phone location set to off.
Powered AC on - DJI Fly up and running - AC has gps lock - phone location is off: real time orientation display plays up as described.
Set phone location to on and after phone gps has locked the real time orientation display snapped around and bingo - it works!
Missing in the operators manual is the need to have the phone location service enabled.
Missing in the app is to activate the phone location service.
I have spent many hours fiddling helplessly around and web searching and "chatting" with the DJI help service (your phone is not on the DJI tested list) to end up with such a simple explanation.
Very unhappy with the information/help culture at DJI.
Happy that things do work now and that I know what caused the problem. Confidence in the technical side of the MM is restored
2019-12-2
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Yes you need phone gps or app can't tell where you are in relation to mavic.
When you're close  at start up  it's confused depending on whether it's behind  you so to speak.
I think it always expects you to be facing the mavic.
Also , before gps is acquired, the semi circle round the display is a flashing red broken line.
2019-12-2
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

My "guess" is that it is intended as an aid for the operator to optimize the alignment of the transmission systems.
However its function and required components have to be  e x p l a i n e d.
No useless references towards DJI assistant/firmware/software refresh/phone incompatibility and "video please" is appropriate.
Competent information is - and this is where DJI fails to the extent of end user contempt.
2019-12-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Now the USB connector of the phone is at the right, the orientation shows correctly as long I keep my body in the same position, that means let say I take off with my body facing north, I have to keep my body in that direction for the whole flight duration or the orientation is wrong.
Hope it helps!
2020-1-4
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

oldhasbeen Posted at 2019-12-2 14:36
Having noticed that the real time orientation display is absent if the AC has no gps lock it sort of indirectly clicked.
I usually have my phone location set to off.
Powered AC on - DJI Fly up and running - AC has gps lock - phone location is off: real time orientation display plays up as described.

Me and InspecorGadjet have gone deep into the problem.

On my point of view (android phone, at least) it depends on the presence of magnetic components inside the RC. Hence, when you approach the phone to the RC, the built-in magnetometer (in the phone) is affected and gives wrong information for the radar indicator of drone position.
A workaround may consist in calibrating the phone compass after it has been inserted in the RC clamps.

Of course the indication will be reliable if drone GPS is active and the drone itself is reasonably far from you.
2020-1-4
Use props
patdig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276099 ft
United States

I have spent 7 days trying to fix the same issue, with my Samsung S8 phone and my iPad mini 4. I plan on selling it now. I was so hoping to use it on my next trip to the Philippines in February. I just don't feel comfortable not knowing the orientation/location for safety reasons. 2 thumbs down to DJI not having a fix by now..
2020-1-20
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

patdig Posted at 1-20 15:21
I have spent 7 days trying to fix the same issue, with my Samsung S8 phone and my iPad mini 4. I plan on selling it now. I was so hoping to use it on my next trip to the Philippines in February. I just don't feel comfortable not knowing the orientation/location for safety reasons. 2 thumbs down to DJI not having a fix by now..

The Taal volcano may make it difficult to travel there.
2020-1-20
Use props
patdig
lvl.2
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 1-20 15:29
The Taal volcano may make it difficult to travel there.

I'm glad I always get travel insurance. I have been in one typhoon, and one severe tropical storm. I leave Feb 7th for 2 months...
2020-1-20
Use props
patdig
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-11-21 16:37
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused, With regards to the said issue. Prior from encountering this issue. Was there any firmware update done on the drone? And with regards to the compass calibration have you tried to calibrate the compass of the drone in a different location. I would also recommend please try refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 to isolate the issue. In addition, I will be posting a link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads ) for the DJI Assistant 2 and an official DJI Tutorial Video for the firmware refresh. Please keep us posted for further assistance Thank you.

I followed the instructions, .....green light has been flashing for 1 hour...oh well...another disappointment.
2020-1-20
Use props
patdig
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2019-11-21 16:37
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble your DJI Mavic Mini has caused, With regards to the said issue. Prior from encountering this issue. Was there any firmware update done on the drone? And with regards to the compass calibration have you tried to calibrate the compass of the drone in a different location. I would also recommend please try refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 to isolate the issue. In addition, I will be posting a link ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads ) for the DJI Assistant 2 and an official DJI Tutorial Video for the firmware refresh. Please keep us posted for further assistance Thank you.

2020-1-20
Use props
djiuser_vo7IwwJ20sAs
New
Flight distance : 25633 ft
Australia

Can someone please help me my orientation display isn’t showing up at all I’m using an iPhone 11 I have used DJI assistant 2 for Mavic I have done all the refresh updates I have cleared cache deleted and reinstalled DJI fly app I’ve hit a stump and don’t know what to do.  PLEASE HELP
2020-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules