About limitations between FCC and CE versions, and flight safety ...
4267 30 2019-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gfab71
First Officer
Flight distance : 492874 ft
  • >>>
Italy

When talking about safety, I just don't understand the need to limit the CE version of the Mini,
resulting in frequent dangerous problems of non-connection and loss of signal.
The limitations are already given to us by local laws, we do not also need to have limited connection and stability by the manufacturer itself.
Personally I never fly beyond the allowed distances, i don't need that,  but in the past few days I have had signal leaks already at 50 meters high
or 100-200 meters of distance, and this can't be acceptable, always talking about the safety of the flight itself.
I do not think it is so useful to make European users risk their drones, because of a power between drone and rc is not sufficient enough to cover the normal
distances allowed for the flight in VLOS.
I HIGHLY hope in a better solution with firmware updates, to make sure that even the CE versions can have stable connection, without loss of signal after a few hundred meters,
which make flying dangerous and insecure at every takeoff.

2019-11-25
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

That’s an unfortunate issue for sure.
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FCC AND CE are standards for Europe and US and it would be illegal for dji to sell FCC in CE regions, you are asking dji not to comply with regulations in the EU and risk heavy fines, I don’t think they are going to do this.
If you decide to fly in an area of high interference then expect less signal, choosing your environment is your responsibility.

By placing a CE mark on a product the manufacturer is declaring, on their sole responsibility, that the product conforms to all legal requirements to achieve CE marking.

Prior to placing the product on the European market, a manufacturer performs an assessment of the product against all applicable EU Directives, and verifies compliance with the relevant essential requirements.

2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 11-25 09:00
FCC AND CE are standards for Europe and US and it would be illegal for dji to sell FCC in CE regions, you are asking dji not to comply with regulations in the EU and risk heavy fines, I don’t think they are going to do this.
If you decide to fly in an area of high interference then expect less signal, choosing your environment is your responsibility.

I did not say that DJI must sell FCC drones in Europe where only CE are allowed,
but I wrote that they should just better check the stability of the connection between rc and drone itself, so that by remaining in the CE standard without going against any rules, you can be sure not to lose the signal of a drone  flyng within VLOS limits without any problem.
When I had the signal leaks I was in the open area, without any obstacle or interference , and this has not happened only to me from what I see on the forum.
I think they can stay within the CE limits by improving the connection between rc and Mini anyway, to protect and ensure better flight safety.
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

tomorrow if the weather remains good, I'll be in the open hill around here in the afternoon, where there are no obstacles or sources of interference, and i will see if they will repeat or not (I hope they do not repeat of course..)  these connection losses in flights within the permitted distances.
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

I am extremely satisfied with photo and video quality of my Mavic Mini,
and I would not want to damage it or lose it because of these differences between
the two version, which i think could be significantly reduced with some improvement ,always remaining in the allowed.
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gfab71 Posted at 11-25 09:12
I did not say that DJI must sell FCC drones in Europe where only CE are allowed,
but I wrote that they should just better check the stability of the connection between rc and drone itself, so that by remaining in the CE standard without going against any rules, you can be sure not to lose the signal of a drone  flyng within VLOS limits without any problem.
When I had the signal leaks I was in the open area, without any obstacle or interference , and this has not happened only to me from what I see on the forum.

I’m not sure how you expect this to happen, surely you don’t expect that dji would take every scenario and cater for this, I mean you say you were in a rural area and you lost signal, I was also in a rural area and managed to fly 1350m , what does this mean that dji need to individually set each drone, I don’t think dji are holding back on signal but I think that there must be a qualifying standard they have to meet, it’s surely not in djis interest to upset customers, and those customers who need to fly in areas of interference then they should think about M2.

There are many reasons for loosing signal, on Saturday flying using 2.4ghz I lost transmission signal at 200m but still had perfect RC signal so my WiFi connection was still there and I believe this can be for most users when signal drops, so something effecting transmission, could it be my phone etc or the environment I’m flying in .
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gfab71 Posted at 11-25 09:24
tomorrow if the weather remains good, I'll be in the open hill around here in the afternoon, where there are no obstacles or sources of interference, and i will see if they will repeat or not (I hope they do not repeat of course..)  these connection losses in flights within the permitted distances.

When you say open hill, hills trees etc can effect your signal .
2019-11-25
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

I spent the weekend on my brother in-laws farm. The farm is 15 KM from the nearest cell tower and must have very little electronic interference. One would think the ideal place to fly the Mavic Mini. Well, to my surprise I took the drone up to 10 meters and around 5 meters away from me and lost signal. The drone then starts auto landing, please note not RTH just straight down. At my house in town in a no fly-zone I can  take the drone up to 15 meters and 20 meters away from me with no problems. I am at a loss not sure what the problem with the signal is.
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Droneflier Posted at 11-25 10:01
I spent the weekend on my brother in-laws farm. The farm is 15 KM from the nearest cell tower and must have very little electronic interference. One would think the ideal place to fly the Mavic Mini. Well, to my surprise I took the drone up to 10 meters and around 5 meters away from me and lost signal. The drone then starts auto landing, please note not RTH just straight down. At my house in town in a no fly-zone I can  take the drone up to 15 meters and 20 meters away from me with no problems. I am at a loss not sure what the problem with the signal is.

Not sure what the signal problem is, but the landing is correct procedure.
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 11-25 09:39
I’m not sure how you expect this to happen, surely you don’t expect that dji would take every scenario and cater for this, I mean you say you were in a rural area and you lost signal, I was also in a rural area and managed to fly 1350m , what does this mean that dji need to individually set each drone, I don’t think dji are holding back on signal but I think that there must be a qualifying standard they have to meet, it’s surely not in djis interest to upset customers, and those customers who need to fly in areas of interference then they should think about M2.

There are many reasons for loosing signal, on Saturday flying using 2.4ghz I lost transmission signal at 200m but still had perfect RC signal so my WiFi connection was still there and I believe this can be for most users when signal drops, so something effecting transmission, could it be my phone etc or the environment I’m flying in .

i was flying in a open area in my city, not in a rural area, without buildings or cables nearby and I do not mean that dji should foresee every possible scenario, but it is not normal that the connection is lost at only 50 meters high, without any obstacle in the middle, regardless of day or flight zone.
This definitely does not have to happen, as well as what is ' happened to those who responded before me, to which the signal was interrupted at 10-15 meters, CE or not ...
2019-11-25
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

I'm going to be really un-PC and say it as it is.   Unfortunately a lot of EU clamp downs are nothing more than the Pussification of standards, with the EU acting like an overarching 'nanny' state..  "Granny knows best" So she'll do pussify things like;  Limit the volume your headphones can go to.. becasue you can't be trusted to do it yourself,  or limit vacuum cleaners to a misserable 900watts.. So you spend 2x as long trying to clean your carpets.  Or in the case of drones, cripple the DB power output to Soy-Boy your range, to be little more than a park flyer, instead of a proper video tool...  As 'Nanny' state says your can't be trusted.
Basically you have to suck it up... Their way or the highway...
Now even despite that, the CE version of the mini should still get a respectable 1Km+ range in a light urban environ, as has been seen. .. It has even been proven to reach 3.2Km in a clear area...  Sooooo... Perhaps the poster's drone is faulty, or the signal noise in his area is crazy...
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

If a drone loses the connection at 10-15 meters, or even already at 50, explain to me what it is for? I'm not saying that i'm going to fly at huge distances, but I expect that within the expected ranges, and under normal conditions,  without any sensitive obstacles in between, this flies without any problem.
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

I'm waiting to see how it's going to fly in the open mountains tomorrow and in the next couple of days, where I usually prefer to take panoramic photos.

Surely the lost connection of the past days may have been a coincidence,

I do not mean that it will always be so, indeed I absolutely hope the opposite, because, as I said, the Mavic Mini is

perfect for me, amateur photographer, both as features than as a portability.
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gfab71 Posted at 11-25 10:47
i was flying in a open area in my city, not in a rural area, without buildings or cables nearby and I do not mean that dji should foresee every possible scenario, but it is not normal that the connection is lost at only 50 meters high, without any obstacle in the middle, regardless of day or flight zone.
This definitely does not have to happen, as well as what is ' happened to those who responded before me, to which the signal was interrupted at 10-15 meters, CE or not ...

Exactly while you say people are losing signal at close range but others have little problem a 500m, so either their units are broken or something is wrong with their set up or their environment.
Since dji have been using WiFi there are many who seem to have very little problem but a few who constantly have problems, I don’t have the answer but I’m certain it’s not possible to increase signal for a few, maybe you know how this can be done.
But if you lose signal from 10m there is either a problem with set up or with unit, no increase of signal will make this example much better.
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 11-25 11:25
Exactly while you say people are losing signal at close range but others have little problem a 500m, so either their units are broken or something is wrong with their set up or their environment.
Since dji have been using WiFi there are many who seem to have very little problem but a few who constantly have problems, I don’t have the answer but I’m certain it’s not possible to increase signal for a few, maybe you know how this can be done.
But if you lose signal from 10m there is either a problem with set up or with unit, no increase of signal will make this example much better.

on this I agree, there may be general problems of signal loss, but also many specific problems related only to some units of the drone....
Mine's fine, apart from that couple of times he's lost the connection for a few moments, hopefully it doesn't happen again...
2019-11-25
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Short range signal issues are not solved by increasing the power of a transmitter that is programmed to a set amount of power. For the CE version, it’s 15 dBi. For the FAA version, it’s 30.
If you have a CE version and you lose signal at 20M there’s some other reason for you loosing your connection. Having over that amount of power will not help you at that close range. Given that close range connection issues would be either hardware, environmental or interference by either other WiFi signals or something else.
At my house, I have WiFi security cameras and if someone in my house makes a bag of popcorn in the microwave, it messes with them.
And these two versions came about by laws created by the countries that govern those laws.

2019-11-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-25 18:37
Short range signal issues are not solved by increasing the power of a transmitter that is programmed to a set amount of power. For the CE version, it’s 15 dBi. For the FAA version, it’s 30.
If you have a CE version and you lose signal at 20M there’s some other reason for you loosing your connection. Having over that amount of power will not help you at that close range. Given that close range connection issues would be either hardware, environmental or interference by either other WiFi signals or something else.
At my house, I have WiFi security cameras and if someone in my house makes a bag of popcorn in the microwave, it messes with them.

What about microwaving a bowl of soup or ...?
Only kidding!

I agree there is something else going on when there are short range (20-meters) signal issues.  Likely cause being external interference from another device transmitting at or near same frequency drone is using.  Brings up a question, whether short range signal issues persist when different channels are selected.

Be worth testing communications between drone sitting on ground, and pilot walking away from drone.  Get better idea of distance problem starts at, and whether problem goes away when distance is say 40-meters or 100-meters.  Along with changing direction pilot moves away from drone.

2019-11-25
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

We have this  and  this
2019-11-25
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

A quick update, after a day spent outdoors in the mountains.
The Mavic Mini flown perfectly, no connection drop even from a distance,
so probably the reason for some problems is to the least because of the lower power of the CE version,
but in most it is the fault of the environment in which you fly, between obstacles of various types and
electromagnetic pollution in some areas.
Very satisfied with my Mini !!
2019-11-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gfab71 Posted at 11-27 05:58
A quick update, after a day spent outdoors in the mountains.
The Mavic Mini flown perfectly, no connection drop even from a distance,
so probably the reason for some problems is to the least because of the lower power of the CE version,

Good job sounds like you had fun .
2019-11-27
Use props
gfab71
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 11-27 07:49
Good job sounds like you had fun .

Yes, indeed,
yesterday was a sunny and beautiful day, perfect for flying..
2019-11-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry for the trouble that this has caused you before and thank you for giving us and update. It is great to know that the issue has been solved by flying the drone in a different location. If you have any other concerns or inquiry with your DJI Mavic Mini or with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you.
2019-11-28
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427480 ft
Russia

First flight today. CE drone.
Lost RC connection after 160 meters. I didn't expect miracles from Mini, but I'm somewhat disappointed.
Flying near the trees. The altitude is a little more than 50 meters.

The latest update is installed.
2019-11-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

UltraONE Posted at 11-28 13:15
First flight today. CE drone.
Lost RC connection after 160 meters. I didn't expect miracles from Mini, but I'm somewhat disappointed.
Flying near the trees. The altitude is a little more than 50 meters.

Was in nature?
2019-11-30
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

Yes, flying around and over the sparse forest. Trees are a big problem for our bird's radio control signal. And our big problem (besides this one) is raw software and Extremely low video bitrate. MM is now a pretty strange product with many compromises.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

UltraONE Posted at 11-30 08:17
Yes, flying around and over the sparse forest. Trees are a big problem for our bird's radio control signal. And our big problem (besides this one) is raw software and Extremely low video bitrate. MM is now a pretty strange product with many compromises.

Lets hope it improves soon.
2019-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

UltraONE Posted at 11-30 08:17
Yes, flying around and over the sparse forest. Trees are a big problem for our bird's radio control signal. And our big problem (besides this one) is raw software and Extremely low video bitrate. MM is now a pretty strange product with many compromises.

trees will soak signal, with regards to bit rate, if this was that important maybe you should have checked before purchase.
2019-11-30
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 08:23
Lets hope it improves soon.

Of course lets's hope )
2019-11-30
Use props
UltraONE
lvl.3
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-30 08:56
trees will soak signal, with regards to bit rate, if this was that important maybe you should have checked before purchase.

You're right. To my regret, I did not have such an opportunity. I relied on the experience and reputation of the manufacturer.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

There are SW limitations? I had a feeling I could move sliders up to "unlimited" marks... Anyway had a stable flight up to 900m distance & 120m altitude without any hiccups - (but I also had no obstacles betwen radio and the mini) - I haven't tried yet going further and I am not sure whether I even want to.

Small advice - turn off wifi & bluetooth (or set your phone to the flight mode completely) - select 2.4GHz channel (1 - 13 are 2.4), manually. With 5.8 channels I have lost signal right above my head at 50m latitude...
It would be nice if we had and option to let the device select channel automatically and let us just decide, whether we want to use 2.4 / 5.8 mode
2019-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules