Why doesn't DJI put an in flight log/ error log in their app?
3954 16 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_RDpozUn4JhQY
lvl.2
Canada

Why doesn't DJI put an in flight log/ error log in their app? There should be a button on the screen of the app so while you're flying you can read the log live to determine if there are any errors before continuing the flight. It could save a lot of fly aways and crashes. We should have the same data live that DJI asks for when you crash. And there should be a share feature too so we can upload the logs to the internet easier.

2019-11-30
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

id vote for this option! please DJI?
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

The logs are there on your phone - I just find it mind-boggling, that you have to turn to 3rd parties to make it into a human-readable form. Why isn't there an official log viewer, or why isn't there an online viewer of the logs synced to the cloud?
I was looking for those yesterday like it was given, I didn't even consider, that I would have to use a janky way to rip logs from the app data on the phone and upload them to the 3rd party website.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 23:43
The logs are there on your phone - I just find it mind-boggling, that you have to turn to 3rd parties to make it into a human-readable form. Why isn't there an official log viewer, or why isn't there an online viewer of the logs synced to the cloud?
I was looking for those yesterday like it was given, I didn't even consider, that I would have to use a janky way to rip logs from the app data on the phone and upload them to the 3rd party website.

Yeah in a way, I also expected this to be DJI internally, however jt kinds of makes sense and is preferred to use a 3rd party app, cause if DJI had control over what Logs will show, they could hide certain things or just don't give you some data...
2019-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are almost no such thing as flyaways, they are almost caused by pilot error, errors when they occur are shown on screen.
2019-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 23:43
The logs are there on your phone - I just find it mind-boggling, that you have to turn to 3rd parties to make it into a human-readable form. Why isn't there an official log viewer, or why isn't there an online viewer of the logs synced to the cloud?
I was looking for those yesterday like it was given, I didn't even consider, that I would have to use a janky way to rip logs from the app data on the phone and upload them to the 3rd party website.

Not just Mavic Mini, same issue with other DJI drones.  The logs should be available in detail to pilot through a DJI provided App.  

Having to export logs, uploaded them to 3rd party, download the results is PIA.

At issue is 3rd-party log decoder / interpreter is based on what has been discovered by hard work / hacking of drone log to human readable form.  Put another way, DJI didn't help us.  Credit goes to other drone owners.
2019-12-1
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 08:48
Not just Mavic Mini, same issue with other DJI drones.  The logs should be available in detail to pilot through a DJI provided App.  

Having to export logs, uploaded them to 3rd party, download the results is PIA.

Bummer...

Also funny how my forum profile now says "134259 ft" although the real travelled  distance in the mobile app says half of that... I got repeatedly prompted to sync 4 latest flights - and the prompt kept on popping and I kept on syncing - looks like the flights logs synced into the cloud don't have an unique key (flight start timestamp should be a safe ID per user).
2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good suggestion!
2019-12-1
Use props
djiuser_drW4G0BbiMyU
New

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2019-12-1 04:18
There are almost no such thing as flyaways, they are almost caused by pilot error, errors when they occur are shown on screen.

This is false. Just the other day I launched a drone and 20 seconds into it, it literally flew away and went around a building while not responding to my controller at all. I'm not sure how, but the come home button worked and it came close enough for me to grab it from the balcony of the building I was in...
2020-11-29
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

djiuser_drW4G0BbiMyU Posted at 11-29 09:54
This is false. Just the other day I launched a drone and 20 seconds into it, it literally flew away and went around a building while not responding to my controller at all. I'm not sure how, but the come home button worked and it came close enough for me to grab it from the balcony of the building I was in...

I launched a drone and.... If you didn't launch the drone it wouldn't of flown away.

If you post your flight log one of our experienced forum members will look it over and explain why the drone behaved like it did.  

How to upload flight log.
2020-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_drW4G0BbiMyU Posted at 11-29 09:54

It sounds familiar, but post your log and we can tell exactly what happened...
2020-11-29
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

ABeardedItalian Posted at 2020-11-29 10:13
I launched a drone and.... If you didn't launch the drone it wouldn't of flown away.

If you post your flight log one of our experienced forum members will look it over and explain why the drone behaved like it did.  

So using the dedicated launch button on the app causes it to flyaway?? I rarely use it anyway, always throttle up, but to find out that a button intended to have auto take-off  can make you loose your drone is a bit frightening now...
2021-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

doglaboi Posted at 3-7 05:35
So using the dedicated launch button on the app causes it to flyaway?? I rarely use it anyway, always throttle up, but to find out that a button intended to have auto take-off  can make you loose your drone is a bit frightening now...

do not believe it!
Pressing a hard button on the RC or a soft button in the App doesn`t cause a fly away ....

Some compass errors or GPS errors are causing fly-aways, or uncontrolled behaviour of a drone.

cheers
JJB
2021-3-7
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

JJB* Posted at 3-7 05:56
do not believe it!
Pressing a hard button on the RC or a soft button in the App doesn`t cause a fly away ....

I was hoping someone would put my mind at ease. Otherwise it's kinda useless to have such an awesome piece of equipment just to loose it because of a button that doesn't work.....
I love my mini, have owned it for almost a month now but rarely able to use it because of work and weather. I too want to (try to) shoot some awesome cinematic footage.
2021-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

doglaboi Posted at 3-7 08:01
I was hoping someone would put my mind at ease. Otherwise it's kinda useless to have such an awesome piece of equipment just to loose it because of a button that doesn't work.....
I love my mini, have owned it for almost a month now but rarely able to use it because of work and weather. I too want to (try to) shoot some awesome cinematic footage.

Do enjoy your Mini !
Always perform a pre- and after take off checks.

cheers
JJB
2021-3-7
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

doglaboi Posted at 3-7 08:01

You missed the point and this was targeted at the guy who didn't understand that by "taking off" he's responsible.,

It's not about the button or how you take off. As the Pilot aka you, if you press the button/move the throttle stick (YOU) are knowingly sending instructions to the drone to take off/starting the drone. If the drone has any sort of defect that causes it to fly away, it's ultimately your responsibility because you pressed the button/moved the throttle stick to take off.

If you never pressed the button/moved the throttle, the drone simply can't/won't fly away by itself.

Once the drone is launched and beginning to take off and doesn't stop to hover but keeps flying away that sucks, your drone was defective but it didn't flyaway by itself  as you had to "launch" it as the drone can't take off by itself without USER Input.

That's the point I was making, the drone can't/won't fly away on it's own without the user taking off, once in the air and the drone is faulty it's out of your hands but you did launch unknowingly a faulty drone.

As JJB* has said, Please enjoy your mini as it's great Drone but understand it can't flyaway by itself, make good Practice of pre-flight checks you'll be better prepared then the guy I was replying to that never came back for help.
2021-3-8
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-8 03:17
You missed the point and this was targeted at the guy who didn't understand that by "taking off" he's responsible.,

It's not about the button or how you take off. As the Pilot aka you, if you press the button/move the throttle stick (YOU) are knowingly sending instructions to the drone to take off/starting the drone. If the drone has any sort of defect that causes it to fly away, it's ultimately your responsibility because you pressed the button/moved the throttle stick to take off.

Yea gotcha. I never launch if my satellite count isn't in 10+, this to be sure I have a solid HP to return to, should the need arise. Also try storing my mini unfolded on a desk (which isn't always possible for everyone). I'll be making some kind of a hook so I can hang it unfolded on the wall, might look kinda cool too . It always takes me at least a minute or two going over every software setting before I even take off. I live in a country where acquiring something like this Mini is very expensive so I tend to be as safe as I can be. but what use is it if you don't try to push and get more and more familiar with it and what you can do with it instead of just being overly cautious all the time.
2021-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules