Bright spot when sun from behind at certain angle
4560 22 2019-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Failure
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135010 ft
Germany

I get a bright spot in my photos/videos when the sun is coming from behind at a certain angle.
Its moving with the picture when I pan the aircraft, so it looks like a natural occurrence on the ground.

DJI_0005b.JPG

Somebody else seems to have the same problem:
Another Panorama
There the bright spot is near bottom right on the tiny road and sun is also coming from behind at a certain angle.

I noticed it after I took the footage and, as a side note, I haven't done any further flights because I also get the 'Not Enough Force/ESC Error' warning in P mode with almost zero wind while hovering. And now I am too afraid to fly because I only see four one-hundred dollar bills with propellers attached to them, ready to fly away any second.

I am quite disappointed in the quality of this product.

2019-12-1
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Germany

I have exact the same issues. The bright spot as well the errors.
2019-12-1
Use props
Bims Bortsch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 400492 ft
Germany

The bright spot is a optical phenomenon and has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your drone.
You can't do anything against physics.
It's called Halo / Heiligenschein.

Wikipedia Heiligenschein
2019-12-1
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Germany

According to the other thread the bright spot is not a Mavic issue, it's a well known phenomenon called "Heiligenschein".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenschein

The ESC errors are a miswording by AirdataUAV, i think it's a false positive and simply means that the motors can't spin any faster because they are fighting too much against the wind.

2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

MikeCH Posted at 12-1 11:04
According to the other thread the bright spot is not a Mavic issue, it's a well known phenomenon called "Heiligenschein".

I've answered this question in another thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D712%26typeid%3D712

Paste from the other post:
I noticed this in many drone shots and videos, when the shadow of the drone fall in the scene,specially over grass and homogeneous foregrounds. It´s an optical illusion created by the edges of the shadow which dissolves in to the surrounding. It´s called Heiligenschein.

I thought it could be caused by the internal camera software compensating, but apparently if you look with your own eyes yo will see it too.

Interesting topic, I found an older thread here talking about this subject.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-109188-1-1.html
2019-12-1
Use props
Failure
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135010 ft
Germany

Thank you kindly for your replies.
The "Heiligenschein" phenomenom is truly crazy physics and I've never heard of it before. Learned something new today.
Regarding the "not enough force" error, I was going south in P mode at about 20 meters height and there was a 10.8 km/h headwind coming from 210 deg. / 2 o'clock.
I'm just really afraid to lose my mini after reading various posts where the mini fell from the sky after showing this warning message.
2019-12-1
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Germany

Failure Posted at 12-1 13:48
Thank you kindly for your replies.
The "Heiligenschein" phenomenom is truly crazy physics and I've never heard of it before. Learned something new today.
Regarding the "not enough force" error, I was going south in P mode at about 20 meters height and there was a 10.8 km/h headwind coming from 210 deg. / 2 o'clock.

In case of failure and crash there will be a warranty replace if it's not related to a pilots error. There are so many circumstances which lead to crashes, it's hard to pinpoint these incidents to this specific error message. More likely these "ESC Error" messages are simply misleading because they are too much generalized. It should be either "Not enough force" OR "ESC Error", but both of them in one message makes the people freakin' out and thinking their drones have a hardware failure.

By the way the DJI FlyApp does NOT have any official "ESC Error" message (at least not in this combination) it was invented by airdata.com. So I take it easy. As long my drone flies proper I'm happy.
2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, the sun does that.
At least, so it seems from time to time.
Not sure if it is caused by your device.
Look at the bottom of the shot starting at 0:12

2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

And this is not the only example I have.
It does occur in grass fields when the sun is behind you at a certain angle.
2019-12-1
Use props
JP Stonestreet
New

Ecuador

Are these issues caused by Heiligenschein? Or is this something different? I had to land and change the battery for it to go away.

2020-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JP Stonestreet Posted at 3-4 12:55
Are these issues caused by Heiligenschein? Or is this something different? I had to land and change the battery for it to go away.

[view_image]

No, that's just caused by condensation in the lens. To avoid it, you need to acclimatise your aircraft's camera to the temperature and humidity of the location.
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 3-4 13:26
No, that's just caused by condensation in the lens. To avoid it, you need to acclimatise your aircraft's camera to the temperature and humidity of the location.

I had this as well not condensation but not sure what it was.
2020-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-4 13:47
I had this as well not condensation but not sure what it was.[view_image]

If you are talking about the bright spot in the lower 3/4 right of the shot, that is Heiligenschein as explained earlier in this thread.
2020-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geebax Posted at 3-4 20:34
If you are talking about the bright spot in the lower 3/4 right of the shot, that is Heiligenschein as explained earlier in this thread.

Oh great nothing like having something that has a long name on it ;+)
2020-3-5
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

JP Stonestreet Posted at 3-4 12:55

[view_image]

This has happened to me a few times when taking of quickly from warm car to cold environment... just leaving the drone out for 5-10 minutes makes it go away.
2020-3-6
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 3-6 10:57
This has happened to me a few times when taking of quickly from warm car to cold environment... just leaving the drone out for 5-10 minutes makes it go away.

ok my bad, those replies are never very clear...
2020-3-6
Use props
MoonDoggie59
lvl.3
United States

sbonev Posted at 3-6 11:11
this has nothing to do with temperature, it is caused by the sun in the back and dew , basically it is light reflection....

OMG, pay attention to the thread sbonev.
They are talking about two different issues.
Post #12 is experiencing condensation due to temp differences and
post #14 is the hell if I know effect.
Post #18 is referring to post #12.Wait, who's on first?????

2020-3-6
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

A little off topic but I’ve just noticed this effect when taking a picture of the moon with my new iPhone - glad to learn that it’s caused by physics and not a fault. Thanks to all who posted the explanation.
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

O Ynot Posted at 3-6 11:35
A little off topic but I’ve just noticed this effect when taking a picture of the moon with my new iPhone - glad to learn that it’s caused by physics and not a fault. Thanks to all who posted the explanation.

You had the sun behind your iPhone when you took a pic of the moon?
I have a hunch that whatever you saw, it wasn't the same thing.
2020-3-6
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-6 13:48
You had the sun behind your iPhone when you took a pic of the moon?
I have a hunch that whatever you saw, it wasn't the same thing.

Hmm.... i think you’re right - sorry.
2020-3-6
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-4 13:47
I had this as well not condensation but not sure what it was.[view_image]

It’s a Brocken Spectre, aircraft pilots see them all the time, if your on a mountain ridge above clouds or mist and the sun is in the right location relative to your body, you’ll also cause this effect.  
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TDZHDTV Posted at 3-7 02:24
It’s a Brocken Spectre, aircraft pilots see them all the time, if your on a mountain ridge above clouds or mist and the sun is in the right location relative to your body, you’ll also cause this effect.

Cheers thank you very much, I now have much greater appreciation for my bright spot now. Great job .
2020-3-7
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

HA-HA! Very funny post My DJI drone also produces strange noise when flying. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...Can you make update to turn this sound off??? I'm not satisfed with quality of product!!!
Than cheaper the drone is than more stupid questions...
2020-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules