Drone and gender
1002 17 2019-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Hi folks, just a curiosity I have browsing through the contents of this forum and authors' names/nicknames:

How many of you are men (please answer with a M)?

How many of you are women (please answer with a W)?

... and to be politically correct ... other (please answer with a O)?

Apparently everybody here belongs to the first choice (M). Hence, is drone stuff a masculine only activity? Is the forum participation as well just masculine? Is droning a regression to childhood?

Maybe some droning psycolgists may add something.

Have fun
2019-12-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

I start answering: M
2019-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why don't you start a poll?
2019-12-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

DAFlys Posted at 12-10 06:29
Why don't you start a poll?

too lazy! next time  I'll learn how to do...
2019-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

emaneg Posted at 12-10 06:56
too lazy! next time  I'll learn how to do...

Its the top middle button when you create a new thread.
2019-12-10
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

Although I would have to answer as M, I know there are lot of female drone flyers out there. For example, you can see the website http://thedronegirl.com. The industry is predominantly male, but females do have their place (as in just about everything else).
2019-12-10
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

for me I am M
My fiance loves to fly and for her, she is F.
However, between the two of us, only I use the forum.
2019-12-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day emaneg. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this thread. I hope you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support.
2019-12-10
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

have to answer as M
2019-12-10
Use props
djiuser_Wrq8hvZ0LgZh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10226 ft
United States

W - and have been enjoying flying quads for about 5 years or so.  A couple of girl friends of mine will also accompany me sometimes to locations and enjoy flying - but not enough to purchase their own.

I'm in a STEM field so I'm pretty used to being one of the only women in a group.
2019-12-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'm sure everyday chores like child rising, cooking, housekeeping, churchgoing etc. doesn't leave much time left for such. That's why there's not many ladies playing with drones ...
2019-12-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Italy

djiuser_Wrq8hvZ0LgZh Posted at 12-10 08:44
W - and have been enjoying flying quads for about 5 years or so.  A couple of girl friends of mine will also accompany me sometimes to locations and enjoy flying - but not enough to purchase their own.

I'm in a STEM field so I'm pretty used to being one of the only women in a group.

Thanks STEM lady! I thought that gender equity was more or less there, also in sciences field. I was wrong, hence
2019-12-10
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Have to answer as F. And, we are not alone.
I had a Spark that I grounded because my log files were getting corrupted, along with compass errors, plus I wasn't getting any help from DJI Support. I felt it was a flyaway/accident waiting to happen. While it didn't happen on all flights, it was enough to scare me. I had successful flights but I was too afraid to fly it any distance and was hoping that an update would fix ths issue. Unfortunately, the update never came because the Sparks were being phased out. Since I didn't get the DJI Care Refresh, I probably would not have been able to get a replacement. But, lesson learned -- when I ordered the Mavic Mini, I made sure I got the DJI Care Refresh.

So now I'm starting from fresh again and am looking forward to playing around with this new toy.

I did find some youtube video reviews done by females. The first reviewer wasn't too bright. For some reason, in her review she decided to fly her Mavic Mini indoors -- in Sports mode. . All I can say is that at least she had her prop guards on.

The second video I found was quite good! It was made by someone who calls herself TheWildYam. Her review wasn't so much about how fast and far the mini can fly, it was more about how to fly it safely in everyday situations. So, there are females out there who enjoy flying these things.

2019-12-10
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tervist Posted at 12-10 09:41
Have to answer as F. And, we are not alone.
I had a Spark that I grounded because my log files were getting corrupted, along with compass errors, plus I wasn't getting any help from DJI Support. I felt it was a flyaway/accident waiting to happen. While it didn't happen on all flights, it was enough to scare me. I had successful flights but I was too afraid to fly it any distance and was hoping that an update would fix ths issue. Unfortunately, the update never came because the Sparks were being phased out. Since I didn't get the DJI Care Refresh, I probably would not have been able to get a replacement. But, lesson learned -- when I ordered the Mavic Mini, I made sure I got the DJI Care Refresh.

Thanks for sharing that video. Not only showing there are females that enjoy and use drones, but it's actually a pretty nice and scenic video as well!! Thanks again!!
2019-12-10
Use props
Part107
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Me? I am a "M" but i do follow Womenanddrones on Twitter. Plus there's Dronegirl and a whole lot of other women that fly.
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I have to say Im M.
I think this fact of being mainly a man thing, applies to many other areas of geecky expensive stuff, like sound synthesizers, cars, motorbikes, bikes, 3D printers etc.
Men are more like kids, women are in general more adult thinking (IMHO), but if it has to do with house jobs, kids, that is very unfair... we are slowly evolving in to a more equal world.
I don´t have kids, and my wife still thinks Im too obsessed with drones and other gadjets... lol
2019-12-10
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

Drones are for those who enjoy drones...

To me others here on the forum might be just "faceless internet nicknames", but mainly they are fellow enthusiasts. I don't care of their age, race nor gender, because that's redundant. (Nationality might matter since FCC / CE drone version is quite a frequent topic)

However if you are looking for a statiatical corelation, then the most obvious one to me seems to be: "women are generally more interested in people.
Men are more prone to be interested in things."
you can't assume equal share of anything in anything in this "analog" world full of incomprehensible variables, that are all somehow related in one way or another.

@InspektorGadjet good point, i like phrases like "Men don't grow up, they just get bigger" and "The difference between a man and a boy is in the price of their toys"
... It's funny, because it's true...
2019-12-10
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm an M, my wife flies with me most of the time but doesn't do forums, so count her as a F (calling the wife a F doesn't seem right, make her an A+ )
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules