12Next >
3312 70 2019-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63497 ft
Netherlands

Today i was flying my mavic mini like always, i had the low battery warning, so i pressed the return to home button and waited patiently for it to land.
Suddently the drone was acting weird while trying to return to home and was pointed towards me while trying to do so. So i tried to land it manually, the drone didnt respond to my inputs.
The drone started drafting away backwards and landed somewhere in a forrested area. i looked for my drone for 2 hours, couldnt find it.

2019-12-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

if you like upload your flightlog on here, using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Mayby we can help to see where it possible landed.

BTW mooi klo*te zeg...

cheers
JJB
2019-12-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Kayhan Coskun. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight of your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this issue is happening on your DJI Mavic Mini. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to check the said drone and to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to check, assess and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 12-15 08:14
Hi,

if you like upload your flightlog on here, using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Jep bedankt voor de sympathie.

Hereby the flightlog.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/V3HQSXPBRFAGRM92CCYU
2019-12-15
Use props
dronego
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55820 ft
United States

Fly away happened to me today too. Had it right above my house, a high wind warning so I pressed return to home. It starts acting REAL weird. Starts going away from me, I cut back to manual control, sticks don’t work it’s still moving away. I re-updated the homepoint to try to get it to remember where to come, still keeps drifting off. Now the altitude stick stops working. Ends up landing in a golf course 2500ft from my house, I got VERY lucky. Will he talking to DJI myself. Never happened before the new firmware.
2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

dronego Posted at 12-15 08:51
Fly away happened to me today too. Had it right above my house, a high wind warning so I pressed return to home. It starts acting REAL weird. Starts going away from me, I cut back to manual control, sticks don’t work it’s still moving away. I re-updated the homepoint to try to get it to remember where to come, still keeps drifting off. Now the altitude stick stops working. Ends up landing in a golf course 2500ft from my house, I got VERY lucky. Will he talking to DJI myself. Never happened before the new firmware.

jep this never happend to me either the RTH was enabled also tried manual control didnt do anything exactly a simmilair issue.
2019-12-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

while you were looking for it, could you hear it beeping loudly from the locator beacon you attached to it?
2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

The Saint Posted at 12-15 08:54
while you were looking for it, could you hear it beeping loudly from the locator beacon you attached to it?

unfortunatly not its landed next to a motorway.
2019-12-15
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

wow very scare with these 2 cases
2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-15 08:15
Hello and good day Kayhan Coskun. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your previous flight of your DJI Mavic Mini. Since this issue is happening on your DJI Mavic Mini. I would recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to check the said drone and to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to check, assess and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.

i send you a message on personal.
2019-12-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Kayhan Coskun Posted at 12-15 09:01
i send you a message on personal.

Thank you for the quick reply Kayhan Coskun and for sending me a PM. Let me please check. Thank you.
2019-12-15
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

Hi Kayhan Coskun,

the mavin mini is here https://goo.gl/maps/ZzQM3vAhFqMReh8x5

the wind was at a speed of 31.6 km / h

you started with a 30% battery

2019-12-15
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about your blow away.
You only had 30% battery when you started the flight.

It was way to windy to be flying your MM and when you switch to RTH the max speed of the MM is 18mph and the wind up there at about 250 feet was about 29mph.

What you should of done is canceled the RTH then lowered your height and switched to S mode and pushed full forward on the right stick.

If you don't think its going to make it back view the camera and land it away from you and then make your way to it.
2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 12-15 09:50

Thanks, appreciate the support.
2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 12-15 09:50
You only had 30% battery when you started the flight.

i did cancel and tried to land it manually but the drone didnt respond to it.
2019-12-15
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

Have a look for it around the drop pin titled MM

2019-12-15
Use props
Kayhan Coskun
lvl.2
Netherlands

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 12-15 10:13
Have a look for it around the drop pin titled MM

[view_image]

will give it a try thanks
2019-12-15
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Woaw Now i understand that flying over streets and flying near streets are prohibited here in germany. Maybe the drone crashed into someone's windshield
30% battery, sportmode, strong wind are 3 very bad conditions...but nevertheless I hope you find the drone.
2019-12-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kayhan Coskun Posted at 12-15 08:50
Jep bedankt voor de sympathie.

Hereby the flightlog.

All has been said already....(happy to see FRAP in use)

Landings spot MM more or less my guess.
Hope you will find your MM.

After RTH always check the distance in te app!  if its not decreasing take some action.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2019-12-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

jonny007 Posted at 12-15 10:31
Woaw  Now i understand that flying over streets and flying near streets are prohibited here in germany. Maybe the drone crashed into someone's windshield
30% battery, sportmode, strong wind are 3 very bad conditions...but nevertheless I hope you find the drone.

shouldn't you be concerned about wild animals, birds, dropped rocks from overpass, debrie falling from other cars, drunk drivers, distracted driver on their mobile, and a bunch of other things that, you know, actually cause property damage, and injury, and death on the highway?  but instead you support a ban to prevent 249g mavic minis from possibly crashing into a windshield will have never hurt anyone and probably never will....how about you support a ban to prevent 5 tons vehicles from pointing towards your car just in case something happens to the driver.  how long are you going to continue to watch car accidents before you do something about it?  before the first drone accident, you passed a ban so you prevent the horrible carnage that will ensue, ban the trucks instead.  one truck at a time, one per hour....to keep the other motorists safe.

look, a mavic mini going down on the highway is not the horrible accident you make it out to be.  even if is smashing into the windshield at 30mph head on in high wind.  all these mini's flying away have hurt nobody.  stop worrying about them, motorist don't need to keep looking up in the air for falling drone.  if you're afraid, instead a net overhead the length of the entire motorway to catch falling drones.  in some areas, they won't even put an wire barrier between the north and southbound lanes to prevent cross-overs.  but we support a ban on drones near the highway?  ridiculous.  when the government finds his drone, they should fine him 50,000 euros, right?  not directed to you, just the thought.

2019-12-15
Use props
tcg550
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

It was really windy be me today but I was bored and thought I'd go fly and see what happens.

I had GPS lock so I took off, went up to about 10 feet and hoovered.

Wouldn't you know it, it started to "fly away". It was not the remote or the Mini malfunctioning, the wind actually caused it to start rising and moving away from me. I immediately tried bringing it straight down but it really struggled. I did move it with the wind toward some shelter near my house where the wind wasn't as bad. I held the down stick, it took a while but finally brought it down from just 10 feet.

Point is, that's not a malfunction or "fly away" it was a user attempting to fly the thing in really bad conditions. My bad.
2019-12-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll agree with the others, this looks like a clear cut case of the wind overpowering the drone.  

From my perspective, it looks like the drone was handling the wind pretty well while in Sports mode, but once RTH was invoked, it wasn't able to muster up enough power to be able to overpower the oncoming wind.

I'm going to copy/paste some details and advice I typed up in a similar thread (https://forum.dji.com/thread-204212-1-1.html) from the last couple of days:

---------------------------------
Some recommendations for future flights:
  • Set your RTH height to the lowest possible height to clear any surrounding obstacles (and no higher)
  • When wind is blowing hard on the ground, it is blowing significantly harder the higher you go
  • When you notice the wind making it drift, switch to Sports mode ASAP to allow it to use more power, lose altitude ASAP to get down out of the strongest winds, and bring it directly back home.
  • When wind is blowing hard outside, try to plan your flight so that you are starting out flying into the wind so that if anything happens, it gets blown back in your direction rather than getting blown further away.
  • Don't give up on it, fly it until its on the ground
  • If it gets away from you, chase after it immediately so that you can hopefully be able to get its signal back before the battery dies.

Sports mode allows a faster descent speed than other modes to allow to get down out of the faster winds at higher elevations.  Sports mode also allows the drone to tilt to a higher angle than in other modes.  In rotored aircraft, speed is a function of tilt and motor speed.  

---------------------------------
One of the issues with relying on RTH in a high wind scenario is an issue of altitude.  I don't think the scenario I'm about to point out relates to the original post because they were already at 660ft and I can't imagine their RTH altitude was set higher than that.  However, in many cases, the RTH altitude has been set to a height that is higher than the drone may currently be flying.  

There are 3 problems with this:
  • Firstly, it wastes additional time going higher while it is getting pushed further away from the home point
  • Secondly, it wastes additional precious battery power in the ascent
  • Thirdly, the wind is faster the higher it goes, so it will be getting pushed away further, faster

As I mentioned, this isn't always the case because the flight might be occurring at a height above the RTH height.  So these points I raise here are a non-issue in that scenario.

Lastly, as JJB* had pointed out, Sport mode enables a greater tilt than is enabled in all the other modes.  In a rotored aircraft, speed is a function of motor speed and tilt.  If you want to see an extreme example of this, check out the first video I made about the Mini where it had a flyaway and reached a max speed of about 65mph.  In this case, you can see the tilt of the drone far exceeded the capability of the Mini's gimbal and allowed it to reach an insane speed.

The RTH feature is a fantastic feature and can save you in many cases, but in many high wind scenarios, I still say Sport mode is the better option to allow you to lose altitude quicker to get out of the faster wind and to unlock additional speed to be able to over power the wind.  

-----------------------------

Also, I think some have briefly mentioned here, but if something like this happens, the first point is to take action to see if you are able to bring it back home.  But quite often, the better answer is to actually look for a suitable alternative safe landing location and divert to that.  Once its on the ground in a safe location, then go to it to retrieve it.

In the nearly 1000 flights I've conducted, I've actually done this 2 times due to unexpected issues that arose.  Thankfully, both times I was able to safely retrieve my drone.

Never give up on it, fly it until its on the ground!  If it gets beyond your signal, chase after it ASAP in a safe manner to try to close the distance on it and regain the signal before the battery dies.
2019-12-15
Use props
Good guy Biker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459144 ft
Canada

so did you find it ?
2019-12-15
Use props
RBI
Second Officer

Philippines

Wasn't there any wind warnings in the APP?

Are warnings not shown in the PhantomHelp LogViewer?
2019-12-15
Use props
Dakar Enduro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
Senegal

Wow 30% to start a flight with.  Why?
2019-12-15
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Did you find it? With all the help from people here seems quite doable, if I've lost my Mavic and had this info. I will go straight away to look for it.

Like many say, lesson learned, 30% battery is good to land not take off, below 25% batteries suffer and degrade so... also wind has proven to be an issue, specially with auto RTH.
I hope you find it soon!
2019-12-16
Use props
kayhan66
lvl.2
Netherlands

Good guy Biker Posted at 12-15 18:00
so did you find it ?

No I didn't find it back
2019-12-16
Use props
kayhan66
lvl.2
Netherlands

RBI Posted at 12-15 21:06
Wasn't there any wind warnings in the APP?

Are warnings not shown in the PhantomHelp LogViewer?

No wind warnings that's the strange part
2019-12-16
Use props
kayhan66
lvl.2
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-16 01:28
Did you find it? With all the help from people here seems quite doable, if I've lost my Mavic and had this info. I will go straight away to look for it.

Like many say, lesson learned, 30% battery is good to land not take off, below 25% batteries suffer and degrade so... also wind has proven to be an issue, specially with auto RTH.

30% to take a picture and Land it back should have been more then enough for what I wanted to do, see the yellow line and back in the flight log. The thing is when the rth kicked in it was all fine where It suddenly started acting weird near the home point.

It started hovering and spinning see flightlog where the red lines begin, then it took off.
2019-12-16
Use props
kayhan66
lvl.2
Netherlands

i have been looking for it again today for 2 hours now, the area is not easy to look for.
2019-12-16
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

It does seem to be a pattern with these fly away posts that it’s usually on windy days where the drone just can’t beat the wind speed to rth. I guess people forget that wind speeds at 120m in the air are different to ground level etc.
2019-12-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

kayhan66 Posted at 12-16 01:41
30% to take a picture and Land it back should have been more then enough for what I wanted to do, see the yellow line and back in the flight log. The thing is when the rth kicked in it was all fine where It suddenly started acting weird near the home point.

It started hovering and spinning see flightlog where the red lines begin, then it took off.

I read everywhere make sure you have full battery in phone, controller and drone before take off, other wise, things can happen.

I´m not saying that to take a picture you need a full battery, I had a battery at 60% from a short flight I had where birds got too close and I had to land, and discarded it for other flights.
I guess having the combo with 3 batteries help a lot.
2019-12-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

kayhan66 Posted at 12-16 01:45
i have been looking for it again today for 2 hours now, the area is not easy to look for.

Sorry for the loss, hope you find it.
Did the ¨find my drone¨ thingy showed you a similar location to the fly log?
2019-12-16
Use props
kayhan66
lvl.2
Netherlands

Yes but the controller never picked up a signal, Also in the log it never showed that it landed
2019-12-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Question on 30%

Why would drone reject canceling of RTH and go crazy as OP described when battery still has enough power to fly?

From what OP describes, drone suffered some other problem after going in to RTH.  Perhaps strong wind overcame drones ability to keep its heading.   Leaving it spinning while loosing ground?
2019-12-16
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The Saint Posted at 12-15 15:18
shouldn't you be concerned about wild animals, birds, dropped rocks from overpass, debrie falling from other cars, drunk drivers, distracted driver on their mobile, and a bunch of other things that, you know, actually cause property damage, and injury, and death on the highway?  but instead you support a ban to prevent 249g mavic minis from possibly crashing into a windshield will have never hurt anyone and probably never will....how about you support a ban to prevent 5 tons vehicles from pointing towards your car just in case something happens to the driver.  how long are you going to continue to watch car accidents before you do something about it?  before the first drone accident, you passed a ban so you prevent the horrible carnage that will ensue, ban the trucks instead.  one truck at a time, one per hour....to keep the other motorists safe.

look, a mavic mini going down on the highway is not the horrible accident you make it out to be.  even if is smashing into the windshield at 30mph head on in high wind.  all these mini's flying away have hurt nobody.  stop worrying about them, motorist don't need to keep looking up in the air for falling drone.  if you're afraid, instead a net overhead the length of the entire motorway to catch falling drones.  in some areas, they won't even put an wire barrier between the north and southbound lanes to prevent cross-overs.  but we support a ban on drones near the highway?  ridiculous.  when the government finds his drone, they should fine him 50,000 euros, right?  not directed to you, just the thought.

I think you have absolutely no idea what you are saying.
When a 249g drone hits a car's windscreen, which is travelling on a motorway with 100 km/h
it will be a desaster!!! What if it was a biker?

2019-12-16
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 12-16 02:36
I think you have absolutely no idea what you are saying.
When a 249g drone hits a car's windscreen, which is travelling on a motorway with 100 km/h
it will be a desaster!!! What if it was a biker?

Agreed.  A small pebble flicked up can crack your windscreen..
2019-12-16
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

In addition to the sagacious input so far, I believe the drone will auto land when low battery is registered.
And I hardly think the drone pointing towards the pilot while attempting to RTH should strike anyone as odd.
To fly in such hostile conditions is plainly reckless , and this incident, like most others, is no more a blow away or flyaway, any more than crashing into a house is a wall attack.
2019-12-16
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-16 02:22
Question on 30%

Why would drone reject canceling of RTH and go crazy as OP described when battery still has enough power to fly?

That´s what I think, just look at the battery cell levels in the log.
After three minutes they go in red levels, at some point the speed shows 1 mph, definitely struggling with wind, not enough juice to RTH. Probably wind was in opposite direction to RTH.
Also the drone started an auto landing when it knew it wasnt going to make it back to HP, and last data is at 200ft height, 60 meters, I guess it didn´t make it and landed a bit further in the wind direction.
2019-12-16
Use props
Tervist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

tcg550 Posted at 12-15 16:40
It was really windy be me today but I was bored and thought I'd go fly and see what happens.

I had GPS lock so I took off, went up to about 10 feet and hoovered.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's a good example of what the wind can do. It's too bad you didn't get that on video. With yesterday's sunny weather, I was SO tempted to go and fly but we had 30 mph wind gusts here so it was out of the question. Today, we are getting snow and freezing rain.

Quite frankly, I shudder at all the videos that boast about how well the mini behaves in the wind. And, it's clear that it did in their cases but, that's not going to apply to everyone who's going to fly.  You need to respect nature and what it can do to something that weighs less than 250 grams. Best advice I've gotten from someone here on this forum was to get the UAV forecast app to tell me about weather and wind conditions in my area.
2019-12-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules