white point on the film
1034 23 2019-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WooZie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4485558 ft
Romania

Hello, i have a white point on the film, it replace the shadow when i go up, if i turn the drone in other directions that point does not appear, but only if i have the sun behind, please take a look DJI at my movie, and please i need an opinion from you. Thank you

2019-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day WooZie. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Let me please cascade this issue to the designated DJI department for us to be able to assists you further and for us to give out a proper resolution for this matter. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2019-12-17
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Romania

ok, i am waiting for an answer if is a issue of the drone or maybe a reflection or something, the drone was it just replaced under the warranty
2019-12-17
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is for sure interesting. It almost looks like a flashlight being pointed at the ground, even though I know it isn't. Refraction or even reflection of sunlight comes to mind too. But what is the cause?
2019-12-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

WooZie Posted at 12-17 12:57
ok, i am waiting for an answer if is a issue of the drone or maybe a reflection or something, the drone was it just replaced under the warranty

Thank you for your understanding WooZie. Rest assured that once I have the information needed I will definitely send you a notification as soon as possible. Thank you.
2019-12-17
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Romania

the sun was behind, you see the shadow right? so, nothing in the lens....will see what DJI says
2019-12-17
Use props
Denny-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899875 ft
Germany

From the size, blurriness and visibility when in shadow i'd say it's a small dent in the covering glas of the camera.
2019-12-17
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Romania

Denny-R Posted at 12-17 13:30
From the size, blurriness and visibility when in shadow i'd say it's a small dent in the covering glas of the camera.

it is a new drone, it is untouched, i took off only from my hands, so, how do you explain that in other directions does not appear that effect? and another question...why it is exactly on the shadow ? Thanks
2019-12-17
Use props
Jestered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16112 ft
United States

What's strange is the very end where you're dropping it down to land.  The white spot goes away and the shadow of the drone appears in the exact same place.  It seems very unlikely, but I wonder if it's some auto-exposure going crazy on the shadow of the drone.  It would explain why it's only there with the sun to your back.  I can't imagine that shadow could cause that from the high elevation you were at, but it sure seems odd that when you dropped it at the end, you could not see that shadow at all until the white spot went away and then you're left with the drone shadow.  I'm curious to see what's causing this once it's been determined.
2019-12-17
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Romania

indeed, when is present the white spot, its missing the shadow and viceversa, but only with the sun behind, otherwise the drone is recording perfectly
2019-12-17
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Germany

It's a well known phenomenon called "Heiligenschein" and it has nothing to do with any DJI specific problem. It was already mentioned before here in the forum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenschein
2019-12-17
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

MikeCH Posted at 12-17 14:32
It's a well known phenomenon called "Heiligenschein" and it has nothing to do with any DJI specific problem. It was already mentioned before here in the forum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenschein

Living and learning!
2019-12-17
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MikeCH Posted at 12-17 14:32

Thanks for sharing that information MikeCH!!
I strive to learn something everyday and that was my something!!! Interesting indeed!!!
2019-12-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happens often. If anyone look at the footage they will see this. I have noticed this
with all my drones. There's nothing wrong with your bird.
2019-12-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very odd,  it doesn't look like flare,  more digital.  Have you tried a different SD card?
2019-12-18
Use props
Fre Mo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 803868 ft
France

I also observed this on my mavic 2 pro when using ND Filter
2019-12-18
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I've answered this question in another thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D712%26typeid%3D712

Paste from the other post:
I noticed this in many drone shots and videos, when the shadow of the drone fall in the scene,specially over grass and homogeneous foregrounds. It´s an optical illusion created by the edges of the shadow which dissolves in to the surrounding. It´s called Heiligenschein.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenschein

I thought it could be caused by the internal camera software compensating, but apparently if you look with your own eyes yo will see it too.

Interesting topic, I found an older thread here talking about this subject.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-109188-1-1.html
2019-12-18
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Romania

i understand, thank you all for your explanations, anyway i wait an official answer from DJI
2019-12-18
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

WooZie Posted at 12-18 05:56
i understand, thank you all for your explanations, anyway i wait an official answer from DJI

Good luck getting any more info from DJI.
Did you check the Wikipedia link?

It shows you how this is also perceived from inflated balloons, with naked eye, no camera...  From airplanes... basically this has nothing to do with DJI is an optical illusion.
2019-12-18
Use props
WooZie
lvl.3
Romania

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-18 07:40
Good luck getting any more info from DJI.
Did you check the Wikipedia link?

yes, i did, i understood that effect, it is present on all movies with the drones that had the sun behind, i am just curious what DJI will say. Thank you very much
2019-12-19
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

WooZie Posted at 12-19 04:26
yes, i did, i understood that effect, it is present on all movies with the drones that had the sun behind, i am just curious what DJI will say. Thank you very much

Is not present only in movies, but in real life too... if you are there you see it with your own eyes too.
Is also not only for drones, I repeat, any camera, flying or not, and even without using a camera at all but using your own eyes. Is an optical illusion.

DJI doens't come around to give opinions about optical illusions, or other matters but to assist with certain issues or requests, since this is not a problem with the Mini or any of their products, why should they?

I mean I'm not trying to be a "know it all", but help, the info I provided closes the question or doubt about this phenomenon completely.

You obviously haven't read the links I provided since this old post, asking the same question you did, has an answer from DJI Official : https://forum.dji.com/thread-109188-1-1.html

DJI Susan replied: As discussed above, please try to avoid shooting with sun behind.

That's DJI "Official answer".
2019-12-19
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm glad that we have very knowledgeable folks on this forum that know what they are talking about. Guys like @InspektorGadjet   , this is something I had never heard of, but he knew what it was and provided an explanation. Thankful for his and others knowledge!!!
2019-12-19
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-19 06:30
I'm glad that we have very knowledgeable folks on this forum that know what they are talking about. Guys like @InspektorGadjet   , this is something I had never heard of, but he knew what it was and provided an explanation. Thankful for his and others knowledge!!!

Thanks a lot for your words Jody!
It's a real pleasure to be of help here, I also get tons of help and useful info in this forum
2019-12-19
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Jestered Posted at 12-17 13:56
What's strange is the very end where you're dropping it down to land.  The white spot goes away and the shadow of the drone appears in the exact same place.  It seems very unlikely, but I wonder if it's some auto-exposure going crazy on the shadow of the drone.  It would explain why it's only there with the sun to your back.  I can't imagine that shadow could cause that from the high elevation you were at, but it sure seems odd that when you dropped it at the end, you could not see that shadow at all until the white spot went away and then you're left with the drone shadow.  I'm curious to see what's causing this once it's been determined.

For those of you wondering why when the drone is near the ground the shadow looks normal, this is because the effect only happens when the shadow is blurry, at the edges, if the drone is let say in the floor, the shadow is sharp, so no effect, the further it gets from the reflected surface (floor) the more the shadow edges soften and the more the "Heiligenschein" effect will be noticeable.
All explained in the Wikipedia article.
2019-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules