IMU Attitude Error
14634 25 2019-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChicagoPoy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17799 ft
Philippines

I am getting an IMU attitude error on my screen whenever I handheld my Mini. This does not happen with my Mavic Pro so I am a bit concerned. I tried refreshing the firmware but It always fails. It is taking forever to refresh the firmware even if I have good internet connection.
2019-12-19
Use props
ChicagoPoy
lvl.1
Philippines

Forgot to mention that I've already recalibrated IMU,Compass, Gimbal several times but IMU attitude error still persist.
2019-12-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi ChicagoPoy, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. Could you please provide a screenshot of the error prompt? We'd like to help you check it.
2019-12-19
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

If it's just when you hold over 30 deg from level that's normal.
2019-12-19
Use props
K.B.O.7029
lvl.2

Tunisia

Bright Spark Posted at 12-19 23:02
If it's just when you hold over 30 deg from level that's normal.

hi,

30deg when he is on or off?
when you put it in the case, its almost vertical, 90° deg, right??

thx
2019-12-20
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Doesn't matter when switched on or off. Only when taking off.
2019-12-20
Use props
fansef4ae8a7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

I always put mine on the ground or a flat surface when initially connecting, as soon as I pick it up to do a hand launch or move it I get errors.

As soon as I launch or put it back down the errors go away.
2019-12-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansef4ae8a7 Posted at 12-20 04:11
I always put mine on the ground or a flat surface when initially connecting, as soon as I pick it up to do a hand launch or move it I get errors.

That's probably normal. If you pick it up, it's going to become unlevel and throw an IMU error until it get's leveled back out.
2019-12-20
Use props
ChicagoPoy
lvl.1
Philippines

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-19 19:45
Hi ChicagoPoy, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. Could you please provide a screenshot of the error prompt? We'd like to help you check it.

Hi Natalia, here's the screenshot. Hope you can have a look at this. If this is just normal when handheld, than good. But why are other Mini users don't get this error? Thank you
Screenshot_20191219_153746_dji.go.v5.jpg
2019-12-20
Use props
ChicagoPoy
lvl.1
Philippines

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-19 19:45

Hi Natalia, here's the screenshot. Hope you can have a look at this. If this is just normal when handheld, than good. But why are other Mini users don't get this error? Thank you
Screenshot_20191219_153746_dji.go.v5.jpg
2019-12-20
Use props
fansef4ae8a7
lvl.4
United States

ChicagoPoy Posted at 12-20 07:19

I'm a Mini user, I get that same error when I pick up my Mini.

Put your Mini on a flat surface, does the error go away?
2019-12-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Exactly what I said earlier and what fansef4ae8a7 just said. If you pick it up it will cause an IMU error. Does it give the error if it's just sitting level on a flat surface not being moved around?
2019-12-20
Use props
ChicagoPoy
lvl.1
Philippines

fansef4ae8a7 Posted at 12-20 07:25

Aha good to know that.
2019-12-20
Use props
ChicagoPoy
lvl.1
Philippines

JodyB Posted at 12-20 07:32
Exactly what I said earlier and what fansef4ae8a7 just said. If you pick it up it will cause an IMU error. Does it give the error if it's just sitting level on a flat surface not being moved around?

I see. No, error goes away when placed on flat surface. So this error is normal? Is it safe then to fly the Mini? Thanks
2019-12-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ChicagoPoy Posted at 12-20 07:51
I see. No, error goes away when placed on flat surface. So this error is normal? Is it safe then to fly the Mini? Thanks

Yes, that is normal. The drone isn't expecting to be moving around before take off and that's what messes with the IMU. If that is the only issue you are seeing you should be good for flight. Just make sure to do your preflight checklist before lift off.
2019-12-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ChicagoPoy Posted at 12-20 07:18

Hi, thank you for providing the screenshot, I'll confirm it with the related team. If there is an update, I'll let you know.
2019-12-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansef4ae8a7 Posted at 12-20 07:25

Hi there, could you please provide us with a screenshot for better assistance? We'd like to help you confirm it with the related team. Thanks.
2019-12-21
Use props
fansef4ae8a7
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-21 05:16
Hi there, could you please provide us with a screenshot for better assistance? We'd like to help you confirm it with the related team. Thanks.

It's the same as above. It happens whenever I pick up the drone and move it. The error goes away as soon as I place it on a level surface. I assumed it's because I was carrying it upside down or on it's side or under my chin so I can open the door to get outside.
2019-12-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Understanding IMU for those who may not know .

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

Best way I can explain my thinking around IMU.

An example should make it clearer.
Imagine an X shaped quadcopter, if the desired tilt is horizontal to the ground and the nose of the quad tilts forward, the IMU will recognize this, the IMU will feed this error to the flight controller. The flight controller will send an instruction to the motors on the front of the quad to speed up and so lift the quad back to horizontal. As the error is being corrected the IMU is monitoring and registering the reducing error, the reduced error message is sent to the flight controller and the speed of the motors is adjusted accordingly until the quad is back at its desired tilt. Millions of these instructions are sent per second .
2019-12-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansef4ae8a7 Posted at 12-21 07:40
It's the same as above. It happens whenever I pick up the drone and move it. The error goes away as soon as I place it on a level surface. I assumed it's because I was carrying it upside down or on it's side or under my chin so I can open the door to get outside.

Hi fansef4ae8a7, sorry for the late response. May we confirm that have you solved the issue or not? If there is any further problem, please feel free to contact us via http://www.dji.com/support, we'll do our best to help you. Thanks.
2019-12-25
Use props
Mudassar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 76391 ft
China

fansef4ae8a7 Posted at 12-20 04:11
I always put mine on the ground or a flat surface when initially connecting, as soon as I pick it up to do a hand launch or move it I get errors.

i think its normal ... same happens with me ... i think when you pick it up and it got little tilted .. so that why the error
2019-12-25
Use props
fansef4ae8a7
lvl.4
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-25 00:51
Hi fansef4ae8a7, sorry for the late response. May we confirm that have you solved the issue or not? If there is any further problem, please feel free to contact us via http://www.dji.com/support, we'll do our best to help you. Thanks.

It's not really an issue. The error only shows up when picking up the drone and moving it or just holding in any position other than flat.

It goes away immediately as soon as the drone is placed on a flat surface.
2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansef4ae8a7 Posted at 12-25 06:24
It's not really an issue. The error only shows up when picking up the drone and moving it or just holding in any position other than flat.

It goes away immediately as soon as the drone is placed on a flat surface.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Should there any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
2019-12-26
Use props
BC71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35394 ft
United States

Received this error for first time but this makes sense.
2019-12-31
Use props
Dianaroger
New

Pakistan

I don’t have an attitude! Well, I just have a personality you can’t handle.

Source attitude caption for girls and boys .http://www.attitudestatus.org/best-attitude-captions/

2020-7-17
Use props
djiuser_0HyxNbBVyAtU
New

India

DJI Natalia Posted at 2019-12-25 00:51

I am facing no gps issue in my new Mini2 drone.
I even tried flying under clear sky ....free space...and update the firmware and safe mode ..also calibrated imu and aircraft....but still showing me no gps .
What is the issue...is this the faulty product I received in which gps device is not working.please suggest
2021-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules