How long to update Home Point
1091 11 2019-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dean01
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

How long does it take for your home point to become updated?

I came across a thread on this forum where it shows that the pilots home point was updated in about 7 seconds.

I was surprised to see that because i dont think it has ever taken so quick for me. I live in south africa and perhaps that has some thing to do with it?

I never actually timed how long it takes to establish links and record the Home Point but i know it is never quick (or so seldom that i do not remember).
Typically (despite years of flying) i am still often surprised how long it seems to take.
In fact on my very recent 1000th flight i actually turned all my equipment off and restarted everything again because Home Point was taking soo long that i thought there must be some problem.

Recently i was doing flight distance tests on my original old batteries (and new ones) and with each flight test it pained me (because i had set out to try improve my distance record and the time it takes to establish HP eats into the potential flight distance) to have to wait so long for satelite connection and for home point to become updated.

2019-12-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

It takes anywhere between 15 to 30 seconds to update...
2019-12-24
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
South Africa

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 12-24 02:47
It takes anywhere between 15 to 30 seconds to update...

cool - thanks -
i
2019-12-24
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

If things are working normally, and the device has a clear view to the full sky, the time to first fix (TTFF) is dependent upon time and distance from the last time it had a fix on its location. If you just finished one flight and are just swapping batteries, the ephemeris data is fresh and accurate, so the TTFF should be nearly immediate or within a few seconds. However, if it’s been a few days or you’ve traveled some distance since the last fix, the ephemeris will need to be inaccurate, and it will take a bit longer, but generally not longer than about 30 seconds unless you’ve moved it a long distance it it’s been a really long time since it last got a fix on its location.  

I’ve got a few different drones and they all work as described above.  The Mini seems to maybe be an exception. It seems to sometimes take a bit longer than I would normally expect to acquire a fix on its location even when just swapping batteries. But nothing crazy like what you describe.

Have you timed it?  Is so, how long?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix
2019-12-24
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
South Africa

KlooGee Posted at 12-24 03:09
If things are working normally, and the device has a clear view to the full sky, the time to first fix (TTFF) is dependent upon time and distance from the last time it had a fix on its location. If you just finished one flight and are just swapping batteries, the ephemeris data is fresh and accurate, so the TTFF should be nearly immediate or within a few seconds. However, if it’s been a few days or you’ve traveled some distance since the last fix, the ephemeris will need to be inaccurate, and it will take a bit longer, but generally not longer than about 30 seconds unless you’ve moved it a long distance it it’s been a really long time since it last got a fix on its location.  

I’ve got a few different drones and they all work as described above.  The Mini seems to maybe be an exception. It seems to sometimes take a bit longer than I would normally expect to acquire a fix on its location even when just swapping batteries. But nothing crazy like what you describe.

thanks kloogee for concise explanation.

I fly mostly from the same location ontop some hills with no trees to obscure skyward - or any other infrastructure, electric or other wise which may other wise have some influence.

I am going to pay proper attention today and see how it goes and how long it takes.
2019-12-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine varies up to a minute.  I also wait for 11 satellites too.
2019-12-24
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

The home point is almast instant the problem for the delay is the gps takes somw time to become active
2019-12-24
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

Yes after gps locks on up to a minute then home point records, if not reboot both controller and craft.
2019-12-24
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
South Africa

DAFlys Posted at 12-24 03:53
Mine varies up to a minute.  I also wait for 11 satellites too.

thanks - thats about how long i sometimes wait - i also wait for  stable 11 satelites minimum
2019-12-25
Use props
Dean01
First Officer
South Africa

RK7dronzy Posted at 12-24 08:46
Yes after gps locks on up to a minute then home point records, if not reboot both controller and craft.

thanks , yes, on the odd occassion it takes longer than normal then i shut all equipment down and restart - has worked properly again every time after a restart
2019-12-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this inquiry. The time it takes to update the Home Point of your DJI Mavic Pro will depend on the strength of the signal and how fast you can connect to multiple satellites ( at least around 10 satellites will be good ) to successfully register the Home Points and take off. Thank you,
2019-12-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

On the Mavic Mini once i get GPS lock it takes upwards of a full minute for the home point to record.  This is in an open field with full view of sky.
2020-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules