4464 14 2020-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

I finally had the chance to fly with the Pgytech CPL filter today. Pretty happy with the results. I really wanted to get the set with the ND filters but saw no point until we get manual video control. I was not sure but can confirm that the filter can be put on before start up. I plan to post a video with and without the filter soon.
DJI Mini W CPL Filter (2).jpg

Not sure why this older picture of the M2P is showing up on my post.
djim2proe.jpg
2020-1-1
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Wonder if there's adifference in weight, When I put their ND filters on my mini, I get gimbal shakes and ended up returning them
2020-1-1
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wiz33 Posted at 1-1 19:47
Wonder if there's adifference in weight, When I put their ND filters on my mini, I get gimbal shakes and ended up returning them

I was told not to accept them that the gimble would shake. However I did not see the message before I took delivery. I did not have any issues what so ever. I think I saw it was an issue that was resolved by the third firmware update. I was also using their extended landing gear. I also did not get the warring when taking off so that maybe fixed too.
2020-1-1
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

If the CPL filter doesn't do any harm, I think I may have to get one of those, too.  It does look like you're getting good CPL effect in the photo you attached.  Looks good!
2020-1-1
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Pgytech have recalled the CPL filters as the damage the gimbal

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... s.76980/post-871951

https://www.reddit.com/r/djimavi ... _set_nonfunctional/

The PL filter has been removed from the Pgytech store on their site

2020-1-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

As an FYI for Mavic Mini droners.

Tiffen announces ND filter kits for the DJI Mavic Mini drone

"The kits come in sets of 3 and 6 ND plus ND polarizing filters. Each  filter features multilayer and hydrophobic coating. Surfaces are  waterproof and boast scratch prevention technology, according to Tiffen."
2020-1-1
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

Is it a rotating filter?  Circular polarizers for cameras usually get rotated once you frame the shot to get the best colors or remove reflections. It's also best to use them at a 90 degree angle to the sun.

How do they work for the drone camera? Seems like a ND filter would be more useful than a CPL filter because once up in the air you would need to orient the drone and gimbal to be 90 degrees from the sun to get the best effect whereas a ND filter would work no matter what the orientation. A CPL filter just ends up being a ND filter if you don't orient it correctly.

I understand two different filters for two different effects but I'm just trying to figure out if I want to pop for an entire set of both ND and CPL filters or just go for the ND filters.

Just curious how everyone is using these filters.

2020-1-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

I just dont see the need/use of this before we can manually control more parameters. In photo maybe but it already allows some shutter speed control.
Regarding video, I guess MM will adjust ISO.
2020-1-2
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 1-1 22:14
Pgytech have recalled the CPL filters as the damage the gimbal

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... s.76980/post-871951

This was corrected after the third firmware release. They wanted me to send them back. I had zero issues.
2020-1-2
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 1-2 05:41
Is it a rotating filter?  Circular polarizers for cameras usually get rotated once you frame the shot to get the best colors or remove reflections. It's also best to use them at a 90 degree angle to the sun.

How do they work for the drone camera? Seems like a ND filter would be more useful than a CPL filter because once up in the air you would need to orient the drone and gimbal to be 90 degrees from the sun to get the best effect whereas a ND filter would work no matter what the orientation. A CPL filter just ends up being a ND filter if you don't orient it correctly.

On my Mavic 2 Pro I use Moment filters. They rotate as you describe. You have to set them before you put them on. On the Mavic Mini it does not rotate however it works more like a linear polorizer or like sun glasses. It works out to being the max effect if you hold it up to your eye and rotate. I can say it does create more contrast and makes some colors pop more. It does darken a bit like a ND but probably like a ND4.
2020-1-2
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 1-2 05:41
Is it a rotating filter?  Circular polarizers for cameras usually get rotated once you frame the shot to get the best colors or remove reflections. It's also best to use them at a 90 degree angle to the sun.

How do they work for the drone camera? Seems like a ND filter would be more useful than a CPL filter because once up in the air you would need to orient the drone and gimbal to be 90 degrees from the sun to get the best effect whereas a ND filter would work no matter what the orientation. A CPL filter just ends up being a ND filter if you don't orient it correctly.

Definitely with ND filters but should be using polerizers and or UV filters. ND filters can be useful for photos.
2020-1-2
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-1 21:09
If the CPL filter doesn't do any harm, I think I may have to get one of those, too.  It does look like you're getting good CPL effect in the photo you attached.  Looks good!

Its not rotatable filter to get the best effect but I do think it helped with color and contrast.
2020-1-2
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-1 21:09
If the CPL filter doesn't do any harm, I think I may have to get one of those, too.  It does look like you're getting good CPL effect in the photo you attached.  Looks good!

This one was take in the same direction about 10 minutes before.
2020-1-2
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Shantok Posted at 1-2 17:13
[view_image]

This one was take in the same direction about 10 minutes before.

One thing I've learned from years of photography is that sunsets and sunrises are incredibly fleeting.  A minute or two can change things tremendously!  If you want to get a good sunset, you have to be there, ready to shoot, at exactly the right moment.  
2020-1-2
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-2 22:33
One thing I've learned from years of photography is that sunsets and sunrises are incredibly fleeting.  A minute or two can change things tremendously!  If you want to get a good sunset, you have to be there, ready to shoot, at exactly the right moment.

Very true. I got home yesterday after work hoping for a little flight time. By the time I ran in the house to grab my one of my Mavics all of the colors were gone. I didn't  miss it by much. I knew as soon as the down facing lights came on. Still fun to try.
2020-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules