My Mavic Mini dipping down unexpectedly with log of Confirm_Landing
2558 18 2020-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NaG8toR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404075 ft
Ethiopia

My MM dipping down usualyz This Happened to me 4 time, 3 times i was lucky to catch it when it start dipping down fast and the other time it crashed but everything seems fine because the prop guard was on. The error message I saw on the DJI fly app was "Navigation System Error" but checking the log, this all i can find the second it start dipping down "Not Enough Force/ESC Error Mode changed to Confirm_Landing."
I think the ESC error is forcing the MM to force land but that doesn't matter even if the area is safe to land since is its coming down too fast.

this is from airdata

Mavic Mini Dipping Down confirm Landing Log

Mavic Mini Dipping Down confirm Landing Log

Any idea why this is happening?

2020-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day NaG8toR. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried to refresh the firmware of the said drone and may I know if the said drone had a hard landing or a crash before this issue happened? Please keep us posted for us to assist you further. Thank you.
2020-1-13
Use props
NaG8toR
lvl.2
Ethiopia

Hello, good day. No I haven't refreshed firmware and what exactly is that? googled it and what came up is updating the firmware.
Yes, it kind of had a hard landing. It was at 0.5 meter height from the ground and it hit a leaf and fell but I had issue with it before that. It happened the second day I tried to fly just after I got my Mavic mini. No issue the first day or third day. Each time this happened, the prop guard was on and after I remove it it was fine each time. I have stopped using the prop guard but i'm still worried to fly it a few feet away from me because the issue start out of the blue.
what do you think? Thank you .
btw 2 of the 4 time this happened, it was the same location. looking at the log, GPS Sat were low(9 Sats) and also one of the flight coordinate data was off by 300 meter. if that useful info
2020-1-13
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-13 13:52
Hello and good day NaG8toR. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out. Have you tried to refresh the firmware of the said drone and may I know if the said drone had a hard landing or a crash before this issue happened? Please keep us posted for us to assist you further. Thank you.

Same happened to me Stephen, all firmware on drone and batteries up to date.  Please see what happened at around 11 minutes into this flight.  Something is faulty, the drone or the battery.  I have opened a case and am awaiting shipping instructions to send it back.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NGMSJ9UDIRFHIYE43O3W/

2020-1-14
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Mavic Dave Posted at 1-14 01:44
Same happened to me Stephen, all firmware on drone and batteries up to date.  Please see what happened at around 11 minutes into this flight.  Something is faulty, the drone or the battery.  I have opened a case and am awaiting shipping instructions to send it back.

Others in the forum repoorted the 50% battery SOC problem, related to fw not updated: is your battery firmware updated and consistent with the other fw (RC anc AC)?
2020-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

This has hapened to other users, including me and we all provided flight logs which proved it.
DJI must be looking in to it. I hope...
2020-1-14
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I'm sorry Stephen but considering the huge amount of reports for this exact identical issue, it is getting insulting to hear you keep asking these same generic questions. When is DJI going to acknowledge there is an issue with the Mini? Every single report of this issue sounds the exact same way, why do you keep responding every single time like you're surprised by this? Seriously, this is insulting!
2020-1-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

if you like  post your flightrecord on this forum (for better analysis), use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2020-1-14
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

This is a long tale, so bear with me.  

Before I even bought my Mini, I saw a couple of YouTube review videos where the YouTuber found that his Mini dropped towards the ground while he was trying to fly at a high elevation up in the mountains somewhere.  Supposedly DJI worked with him and, after investigating the problem, supplied him with some new-style props AND new firmware.  With the new props and firmware, he did more testing, and was able to fly well at a bit over 10,000 feet.

After I got my Mini, I've always wondered if it might have come with the "early style" props that are not as good at high elevations.  I got mine fairly early, so it seemed possible.

Further, some people have reported that swapping out all of their propellers seemed to cure their "dropping" problems.  So that adds to the evidence that "bad" or "old-style" props can be the cause of the infamous "dropping" problem.

I live at about 5150 feet of elevation.  I have flown a lot indoors due to nasty weather here for the last couple of months.  Naturally, I use the prop guards.

But the prop guards add considerable weight.  And at this elevation, the Mini struggles anyhow.  So the poor thing is on the edge of being able to fly at all at its best.  I get only about 13 minutes max flight time with the prop guards installed, so that's good evidence that at my elevation, with the prop guards, and with the original props, my mini is really struggling just to fly.  But it flies reasonably well, and I've had a lot of indoor flying with it, mostly where I work because it's a fairly large buiding.

So while the flight time is limited, I haven't had any serious trouble flying.

However, recently, I noticed that when I updated my phone, RC, and drone to 1.00.0400, the next two flights flew OK until around 50% battery level when the drone dropped down to right above the floor and was unable to rise up at all for the remainder of the battery's charge.  The poor thing could barely hold itself a foot off the ground, maybe a bit less.  I figured this was because "ground effect" was helping to hold it up.  I could fly it forward and backward, left and right, and spin it ccw and cw, but nothing would make it rise up.

So this seemed a LOT like all of the "dropping" I've seen reported on this forum and looked exactly like what was shown in the YouTube video that was made at high elevation with the "old" props and "old" firmware.

But I didn't realize at that time that you are supposed to update the firmware in your batteries whenever you update the firmware in the Mini.  And I didn't realize that ONE of my three batteries DID have the new firmware because the Mini automatically updates the one battery that's in it at the time you update the Mini itself.  So I had ONE batery with the new firmware and two with something older.

So I replaced all four propellers because I've always been suspicious of whether or not my drone came with "old style" props.  And lo and behold, with the new props, the drone flew just fine (considering my elevation and the weight of the prop guards) like it always has before.  However, that flight also used the one battery that DID get updated!  (But I didn't realize this at the time).

So THAT test made me think that it was the propellers at fault.

However, I THEN found out about the battery firmware thing.  So then, as I thought about it, I felt that a reasonable cause for the sudden appearance of the "dropping" syndrome in my Mini, which coincided exactly with me updating to 1.00.0400, might be that I had NOT updated the two batteries that I used with the old props.

So because the drone flew OK with the new prop blades wasn't necessarily the cause because I was also then flying with the one battery that had happened to get updated.  Crazy confusing, right?

So I theorized that if the battery firmware doesn't match that in the drone, some miscommunication or incorrect assessment of battery charge, etc., might cause the drone to lower power to the motors suddenly, even though the batteries were reporting a reasonable level of charge.

Several folks said that wasn't likely, but I thought I had this figured out.  But to test it, I'd need to try with various firmware revisions, and with and without the batteries having matching firmware AND I'd want to test with the old prop blades and the new ones.

To add to the confusion, my old props did have some damage.  This damage had happened on one of my first flights when the drone crashed.  It had the prop guards in place, but it still managed to ding a couple of the blades a bit.  It didn't look too bad to me, and I had flown it ever since then (at least 30 full-battery flights indoors with the prop guards and two outdoor flights without the prop guards).  And it never flew funny or displayed any of the "dropping".  So that was strong evidence that the prop damage was not the cause of the "dropping" that I saw after updating to 1.00.0400.

After all, how could I fly with those same slightly damaged blades for 30 flights with no issues, but then suddenly have the dreaded "drone drop" immediatly after doing a firmware update?  That seemed highly unlikely.

Nonetheless.  My testing showed that the problem was, indeed, the prop blades!

The only way I can explain this "dropping" being coincidental with the firmware update is that it really was a coincidence.  And that for whatever reason, one of the blades split a bit more, perhaps with a crack forming and propagating back from a ding in the blade right during the first flight I made after doing the firmware update.

Swapping back and forth between the old and new blades, the issue follows the bad blades, and doesn't match with any firmware OR with any firmware mismatch between my batteries and the rest of the system.  The only possibility that I can't test is if a battery with a firmware previous to 1.00.0200 might cause problems when used with firmware 1.00.0400 in the drone and controller.  I can't test any firmware lower than 1.00.0200 because I don't see it available in the DJI Assistant 2.

Anyhow, what I've taken away from this is:

Do make sure to update the firmware in ALL of your batteries when you do a firmware update to the drone and RC.  It might not be terribly important, but why risk it?  It's not obvious that this needs to be done, but do it anyhow.

Do not fly with damaged blades.  It may be OK, but then again, assuming my one blade did split from ding in it while flying, and that split then rendered the lift too low to allow the drone to fly well, that could be catastrophic if you're flying outdoors.  I was lucky that it happened to me indoors with the drone close to me and under controlled conditions.

Also, if you're experiencing poor flight characteristics, you might want to swap out all of the blades that came on your Mini for new ones in case you did get "old style" blades, and they don't give as much lift as the "new style" blades do.  Of course, it may well be that NOBODY has ever gotten the "old style" blades on their production Mini.  But what if?  The guy who posted the YouTube videos that talked about this issue has removed those two videos and replaced them with different ones.  That seems sort of suspicious to me, but who knows?

Nonetheless, as cheap as replacement blades are, it makes sense to check that out if you're having problems.  The blades are still hard to get from DJI, but I did get some from a large US vendor, and they came today.  So I think DJI may be catching up on production of the blades.

Sorry for the long post.  But this was a long set of experiments for me, and I want to set the record straight for everyone about what I found.

Check your prop blades.  

2020-1-14
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

emaneg Posted at 1-14 02:17
Others in the forum repoorted the 50% battery SOC problem, related to fw not updated: is your battery firmware updated and consistent with the other fw (RC anc AC)?

All updates complete.

If you look at my flight log around 11 minutes, you will see the drone drop and recover.  It only recovered when the bottom sensor detected the water and it bounced up.  At that point it was recording minus 11ft in altitude.

It ignored my left stick input until the bounce.  You will also notice its return to home position changed from 74ft to 91ft.  So its positioning was all over the place.
2020-1-14
Use props
NaG8toR
lvl.2
Ethiopia

Sigmo Posted at 1-14 03:51

Before I even bought my Mini, I saw a couple of YouTube review videos where the YouTuber found that his Mini dropped towards the ground while he was trying to fly at a high elevation up in the mountains somewhere.  Supposedly DJI worked with him and, after investigating the problem, supplied him with some new-style props AND new firmware.  With the new props and firmware, he did more testing, and was able to fly well at a bit over 10,000 feet.

I did change all the props after it crashed because like you, some had dent and one other had invisible split. I also update the batteries firmware for 2 of my battery but I didn't get a prompt for the 3rd one. Is there a way to check what version my batteries are on and also to do a manual update.
2020-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Sigmo Posted at 1-14 03:51

Very interesting indeed, since blades have codes, it would be relatively easy to narrow down the issue...
Are new blades different "part number" than old ones? Only DJI can answer that.

I would lobe to know this too.

One thing I noticed is that many users  complained about the "not enough force" error, and my guess is that DJI turned the power of the motors slightly down, many of us have experienced longer flying times, and less stability while hoovering which make sense if the power have been reduced.

I also never noticed any drops from sky until FW upgrade 1.0.4, which again make sense if the power has been somehow reduced, or at least even if maximum power still is the same, the "ramp" that the motors follow to go from hoover to maximum throttle is longer, being less responsive to fast movements.

That is my conclusion after testing.
2020-1-14
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

emaneg Posted at 1-14 02:17

There are at least three threads going on this, all with different titles.

The bottom line is that we have experienced the the drone being unresponsive to control inputs.  I have been flying the Spark and Mavic Air for over two years and never experienced this.  The worst I ever had was yaw on the Mavic Air with no input.  That was eventually resolved with the RC being replaced (cause it constantly beeped).

All firmware updates have been done on the Mavic Mini, its batteries and RC prior to this failure.
2020-1-14
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just got the shipping label from DJI the Mini is going back with its batteries. (DJI can't explain what happened to my flight either).

Will update everyone when they conclude what is wrong (although they will probably ship replacement and we will never know)
2020-1-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Mavic Dave Posted at 1-14 07:52
Just got the shipping label from DJI the Mini is going back with its batteries. (DJI can't explain what happened to my flight either).

Will update everyone when they conclude what is wrong (although they will probably ship replacement and we will never know)

It is annoying that this keeps happening, before OS 1.0.3 many users including me had gimbal problems, DJI asked users to return their units, but it was fixed with FW update...
Not having an official response is quite annoying.
2020-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Mavic Dave Posted at 1-14 01:44
Same happened to me Stephen, all firmware on drone and batteries up to date.  Please see what happened at around 11 minutes into this flight.  Something is faulty, the drone or the battery.  I have opened a case and am awaiting shipping instructions to send it back.

Hello and good day Mavic Dave. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Can you please provide me the case number via PM for me to be able to check and assist you further. Thank you.
2020-1-14
Use props
NaG8toR
lvl.2
Ethiopia

what did you say about my issue?
2020-1-14
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

NaG8toR Posted at 1-14 12:06
what did you say about my issue?

Did you refresh firmware using Dji assistant for Mavic on a PC?
2020-1-14
Use props
NaG8toR
lvl.2
Ethiopia

TDZHDTV Posted at 1-14 12:31
Did you refresh firmware using Dji assistant for Mavic on a PC?
No I have not
2020-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules