LG G6 Android version for DJI Fly and Mavic Mini?
5893 13 2020-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BorisTheSpider
lvl.1
United States

I just got the Mavic Mini and still use my LG G6 for connecting via the DJI Fly app. Currently, I have Android 8 (aka OREO) on there and am able to get it to work with the USB Debugging workaround silliness. I have heard that running Android 7 (aka Nougat) on the LG G6 works well but I'm not sure I want to downgrade. I have seen that Anroid 9 (aka Pie) works with other devices. I just want to know if anyone has had luck using Android 9 with their Mavic Mini, or if there is some other solution to Android 8 not working? It's especially confusing because the LG G6 is listed as a recommended device by DJI and it still has an awful lot of problems. I'd hate to see what using a device that's not recommended does...

Thanks!

2020-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day BorisTheSpider. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. I hope that you will get the best feedback from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-1-5
Use props
Marc Alexander
lvl.1
United States

Had mines since Friday, flown several times, but it's a pain in the you know what to connect. But today, the app is acting funny and when I hit go fly, it briefly goes to the next screen, but then blacks out. Order a new cable, maybe that's the reason, just not sure. I also have a LG G6 Android 8...
2020-1-5
Use props
BorisTheSpider
lvl.1
United States

I read one post where someone said it worked fine once upgraded to Android 9. But that is only one report. I don't really even want to upgrade unless I have to. I was just really hoping at least one other person had experience with it.
2020-1-5
Use props
killertek78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168369 ft
Canada

I use a G6(LG-H873) with Andriod 9. Haven't had any app, or connectivity issues.
2020-1-5
Use props
BorisTheSpider
lvl.1
United States

killertek78 Posted at 1-5 20:46
I use a G6(LG-H873) with Andriod 9. Haven't had any app, or connectivity issues.

Awesome thanks. I went ahead and did the upgrade. So I can now confirm it works well with Android 9. If I encounter any problems with it, I'll update y'all here.

BTW - if you need to update and you can't do it over the air or with LG bridge, there is a tutorial for another method here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6/how-to/lg-g6-updating-to-9-0-pie-using-t3997557

2020-1-6
Use props
Bob OD
lvl.1
United States

BorisTheSpider Posted at 1-6 21:00
Awesome thanks. I went ahead and did the upgrade. So I can now confirm it works well with Android 9. If I encounter any problems with it, I'll update y'all here.

I have an LG G6 H872 which doesn't have an update to Android 9
Does anyone have a workaround to make it work with Android 8? I've not been able to get it to connect.
All fully charged. I tried turning on USB debugging.
Nothing.
2020-1-25
Use props
Marc Alexander
lvl.1
United States

Bob OD Posted at 1-25 18:40
I have an LG G6 H872 which doesn't have an update to Android 9
Does anyone have a workaround to make it work with Android 8? I've not been able to get it to connect.
All fully charged. I tried turning on USB debugging.

Me too and then I gave up a purchased a used Iphone 6s because with the LG G6 it only connected for me a few times, but even when I did get it to connect, it too several attempts...
2020-1-25
Use props
BobO01
lvl.1
United States

Marc Alexander Posted at 1-25 19:12
Me too and then I gave up a purchased a used Iphone 6s because with the LG G6 it only connected for me a few times, but even when I did get it to connect, it too several attempts...

As a new customer of DJI, I am quite disappointed with their total lack of response to this. I also sent a note to support and got no response.
2020-2-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried an LG G6 when I bought my first Mini but I never got it to work well with Android 8. It was very intermittent so I gave up and bought a Samsung S6. Too bad because the G6 has a bit larger screen. I have read the some users have had good luck with the G6 and Android 7, but I wasn't knowledgable enough to revert the O/S back.
2020-2-14
Use props
djiuser_o8QUvQ0wBrEO
New

United States

I have an LG G6 android 8 and purchased the mavic mini ~45 days ago. I have had to send it in to repair because of the 4 times I attempted to fly since purchase, I was only able to connect twice. Quite frustrating! They say nothing is wrong, however, I just got the drone back and still am not able to get it connected to the RC. I see my phone on the list of compatibility, but no connection. I have tried with the Dev app open for the USB connection, but no connection. I connect the cable and the phone constantly just dings at me trying to figure out what to do when connecting the USB. I am not in the process of uninstalling the app and trying again. If it does not work, I may request a refund.

If anyone else has any options - I am open, but at this point, I am truly disappointed.
2020-3-14
Use props
djiuser_o8QUvQ0wBrEO
New

United States

djiuser_o8QUvQ0wBrEO Posted at 3-14 20:06
I have an LG G6 android 8 and purchased the mavic mini ~45 days ago. I have had to send it in to repair because of the 4 times I attempted to fly since purchase, I was only able to connect twice. Quite frustrating! They say nothing is wrong, however, I just got the drone back and still am not able to get it connected to the RC. I see my phone on the list of compatibility, but no connection. I have tried with the Dev app open for the USB connection, but no connection. I connect the cable and the phone constantly just dings at me trying to figure out what to do when connecting the USB. I am not in the process of uninstalling the app and trying again. If it does not work, I may request a refund.

If anyone else has any options - I am open, but at this point, I am truly disappointed.

Just an update. I uninstalled the DJI fly app, turned off the Developer mode, power cycled the phone and then reinstalled the DJI app. I was able to connect first time without issue. Powered everything off and tried to connect a second time and it fails to connect to the RC. power cycled the phone once more and still the phone will not connect to the RC. USB doesn't know how to connect, keeps asking: power, file, media, photo. Enabled Developer mode to enable USB debugging, but still no RC connection.
2020-3-14
Use props
djiuser_zy3YjKdVN7WK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2478852 ft
United States

I have an LG G6 VS988 which is running both Android 9 and has USB Debugging on. Controller will not connect with the phone (DJI Go 4 app).
2021-5-14
Use props
djiuser_NJut2nUrBx3y
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43025 ft
Germany

djiuser_o8QUvQ0wBrEO Posted at 2020-3-14 20:42
Just an update. I uninstalled the DJI fly app, turned off the Developer mode, power cycled the phone and then reinstalled the DJI app. I was able to connect first time without issue. Powered everything off and tried to connect a second time and it fails to connect to the RC. power cycled the phone once more and still the phone will not connect to the RC. USB doesn't know how to connect, keeps asking: power, file, media, photo. Enabled Developer mode to enable USB debugging, but still no RC connection.

Hey man! Any lick with this? I'm having the same problem, android 9, rc not connecting to phone, it's driving me nuts, I've tried everything already and even bought a new cable. Nothing works! It does work fine in my gf's I phone, but it used to work just fine in my phone before and is not now.
2022-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules