least expensive android device
1121 24 2020-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wolff
lvl.1
United States

I have a Mavic Mini and need a device that has the enough battery power for three 20 minuet flights. (60 minuets).
I'm using an old Iphone 6 (borrowed) with NEW battery but it's only good for about a half hour max! I really don't want to fork over $400 for an ipad mini.

Any recommendations would be GREATLY  appreciated!!!

Thanks
2020-1-10
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

You might buy used android phone, for example A series may be enough for you. Some models have good battery life, instead of buying new, buying used will bring you more powerful phone.
2020-1-10
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

Btw, the RC already charges the connected phone, why do you need extra phone?
2020-1-10
Use props
wolff
lvl.1
United States

For some reason the iphone i'm using seems to discharge at a very high rate. I was not aware that the controller is supposed to charge the phone while it is connected. (I wish I had an inline ammeter to verify this?)
2020-1-10
Use props
Eka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1293625 ft
Serbia

Xiaomi Redmi 4x with 2GB RAM works perfectly. It has 4100mAh battery. New one probaby no way to find, but used shouldn't be more than 50 EUR
2020-1-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendations that you may need from our fellow DJI members here in Forum. Also, I will highly recommend you to use a mobile device that was listed on our compatible devices below. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your support!

2020-1-10
Use props
wolff
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone have small tablet recommendations?
THANKS AGAIN!
2020-1-10
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

S6 is what I'm using. Works perfectly and wasn't expensive at all. My daughter had it in kitchen drawer
2020-1-10
Use props
German DroneTV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 741864 ft
Germany

I had big problems to find a working android tabletb.
Had to be 64Bit, Android 6+, ...
I never got a working one (64Bit CPU but 32Bit Android, Android 10 not working, no video while flying ...)
Bought me an iPhoneX as dedicated „display“ for the mini.
My Smart Controller doesent work with mini.

Try to get an used iPad mini 2, cheap & perfektly working, but to big for the original mount under the controler.

If you love your Drone, fly with iOS
2020-1-10
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

From what I've read, android devices charge from the RC, but iOS devices do not.

It seems like most people would rather their phone or tablet did not charge from the RC.  But there are probably advantages to each way.

You can replace the battery in an iPhone.  It's sort of a pain, but with one of those kits that gives you a battery and some tools, it's not that bad.  There are videos on YouTube that show how to do it.  That might be a viable option in your case.
2020-1-10
Use props
wolff
lvl.1
United States

Sigmo Posted at 1-10 12:39
From what I've read, android devices charge from the RC, but iOS devices do not.

It seems like most people would rather their phone or tablet did not charge from the RC.  But there are probably advantages to each way.

Thanks!... Yes i have replaced the battery in the iphone. Still it (fly app) runs the battery down FAST!
2020-1-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Xiaomi redmi note 7, brand new, payed 120€. Works fine
2020-1-10
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Even in Russia, the iPad mini 4 + Cellular 128Gb costs 330 USD, in the US, used one can probably buy even cheaper...
2020-1-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a used Samsung S6 for $72 and it works perfectly. The screen size is a bit smaller than some but it lasts a long time on one charge even though I have the screen intensity maxed out.
2020-1-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wolff@slowwbe.net Posted at 1-10 10:19
For some reason the iphone i'm using seems to discharge at a very high rate. I was not aware that the controller is supposed to charge the phone while it is connected. (I wish I had an inline ammeter to verify this?)

Have a new battery put in the iPhone... It is not that expensive. You can even do it yourself if you are brave.... Lots of videos on youtube showing how
2020-1-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The App does not work properly with the Ipad Mini. It is a stretched phone app not a proper iPad App
2020-1-11
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-11 00:18
The App does not work properly with the Ipad Mini. It is a stretched phone app not a proper iPhone App

It's not stretched in anyway, it's still in the 16:9 format

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the screen on the Ipad Mini is inadequate when using DJI Fl
It can't go any wider because of the camera and home button and your only missing a 1cm at the top and bottom.

Mavic Mini DJI Fly screen - Copy.jpg
2020-1-11
Use props
raymacke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

lannes Posted at 1-11 00:25
It's not stretched in anyway, it's still in the 16:9 format

That is correct. It is not stretched. I am an android fan and really dislike the Mini as a tablet BUT it works very well with the MM.
2020-1-11
Use props
AmericaWestCMH
lvl.1

United States

LG V20 would be the perfect choice - has a removable battery and under $100.    You just have to find one with Android 7 since it the Fly app doesn't work with the V20 Android 8 upgrade
2020-1-12
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8117 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Buy a second hand Android phone. But make sure it is on the dji list of phones.
Samsung phones have better batteries
S6, S7, S8, S9, S10
Android devices will be using 0,5A to make the USB connection work.
So your transmitter will charge the phone.
0,5A is not that big of a deal.
BUT: your mobile device will still discharge during operation. The discharge current is higher than the 0,5A charging current. All depends on your settings (specially the screen light setting)
For tablets: I have the new Samsung Tab A 8 inch tablet on the way. It is the version with S-pen. model SM-P205. 3 Gb ram. The cheaper version without S-pen is only 2Gb ram...
Hope this will work.
For the moment I use Samsung S9, perfect.
2020-1-12
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

wolff@slowwbe.net Posted at 1-10 11:32
Does anyone have small tablet recommendations?
THANKS AGAIN!

I have Samsung Tab A 8 inch on the way (model SM-P205) Hope this works. But it is a gamble...
Will report if it works or not.
8 inch screen looks like perfect size between small mobile phones and large Ipads.
2020-1-12
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

fans461cbed1 Posted at 1-12 14:06
I have Samsung Tab A 8 inch on the way (model SM-P205) Hope this works. But it is a gamble...
8 inch screen looks like perfect size between small mobile phones and large Ipads.

Hi I have a huawei mediapad m3 lite 8 tablet for my mavic Pro works very well, the go 4 app works well on my wife's tab A. 10.1 but dji fly is not available for the Tab A just not showing on Google play
2020-1-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

raymacke Posted at 1-11 20:46
That is correct. It is not stretched. I am an android fan and really dislike the Mini as a tablet BUT it works very well with the MM.

The App you are running on the Ipad Mini is indeed a Phone app. That is why you have to click on the x2 button. I say again it is not an app designed for the Ipad Mini..... It is a stretched iPhone app.

What do you think you are doing when you click on the x2
2020-1-12
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

I have Samsung Tab A 8 inch on the way (model SM-P205) Hope this works. But it is a gamble...

My new tablet Samsung Tab A 8" with S-pen model SM-P205 arrived today and works with Fly App and MM!
Hallelujah!
20200113_171155.jpg
2020-1-13
Use props
fans461cbed1
lvl.2
  • >>>
Belgium

My new tablet Samsung Tab A 8" with S-pen model SM-P205 arrived today and works with Fly App and MM!
Hallelujah!
20200113_171155.jpg
2020-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules