Violent Gimbal or Drone twitch during RTH
2241 24 2020-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

A Glorious day in UK today, so finally got to take the mini out for its first proper spin of 2020.The flight was about 15 mins long & totalled over 3.5 miles.
I was in a rural area (KENT), CE version.  The Mini EASILY got to over 1.2 miles away, still with a very strong signal!! So it felt like it could have easily got to 1.5+ miles.  Most impressive.
To get the drone back i simply hit RTH buttom .   It worked just fine, & the drone returned right over my H pad, 250 feet up, and decended perfectly! Excellent!
BUT,  I noticed upon dowloading & playing the video footage, that the gimbal (or the drone itself) made several( 2 or 3) SEVERE sudden jerking movments, then quickly returned to the position.   This didn't seem to interfere with the RTH process thankfully, but it is concerning none-the-less. -  I Don't recall seeing the jerking on the Phone screen, however during the RTH phase, it did drop the signal momentarily a couple of times..   And it seems that the  jerking motions conincided with when the signal glitches occured..  However this is a guess.
The gimbal/drone  jerking IS a phenomenon i've seen aready in videos from other posters & reported here already..

DJI - What might be going on? -  I am running .0400 Firmware ...  On all previous flights prior to upgrading from 0300,  i had not had this issue happen.
How might you investigate this as a priority?
Al

2020-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day PhasedSpaces. I am sorry to know about the problem and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to refresh the firmware or your DJI Mavic Mini to see if the issue will still persist? In addition are you able to post a short sample video of the said issue for us to see and further assist you. Thank you.
2020-1-19
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 10:45
Hello and good day PhasedSpaces. I am sorry to know about the problem and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to refresh the firmware or your DJI Mavic Mini to see if the issue will still persist? In addition are you able to post a short sample video of the said issue for us to see and further assist you. Thank you.

Here's a link to the video...
Fast Forward to : 6:36 , watch until it happens, then again from:  6:50

This is either the gimbal or the Drone itself twitching..  
Anyone else seen this happen?   
Hope you can resolve this soon DJI. --  I look forward to your response.
Al
2020-1-19
Use props
JeremyFr79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141637 ft
United States

PhasedSpaces Posted at 1-19 16:03
Twitch

Video isn't working for me, but what you're describing seems like an issue that's been brought up quite a bit by users, the gimbal on the mini is small and weak in comparison to many others and as such a gust of wind will knock it "off keel" momentarily, I've personally had it happen as have others, other things that have caused gimbal jerk are thinks like very sudden stops or change of directions that the gimbal is just incapable of compensating for.
2020-1-19
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I believe you're pushing your Mini too much. For my experience the strength and signal warning information system are not reliable. I think you should only use the Mini in visual LoS.

I've lost mine. I think you're pretty lucky to still have one, mine didn't even RtH.
2020-1-19
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JeremyFr79 Posted at 1-19 16:24
Video isn't working for me, but what you're describing seems like an issue that's been brought up quite a bit by users, the gimbal on the mini is small and weak in comparison to many others and as such a gust of wind will knock it "off keel" momentarily, I've personally had it happen as have others, other things that have caused gimbal jerk are thinks like very sudden stops or change of directions that the gimbal is just incapable of compensating for.

I don't think it's wind blowing it..  Both 'twitches' are Identical in how they look..  Its like a muscle twitch / spasm.  This is most probably a software issue, not wind.
2020-1-19
Use props
ItsLunchBOX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39472 ft
United States

Twitch

Your video is set to private.
2020-1-19
Use props
ItsLunchBOX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39472 ft
United States

Twitch

2020-1-19
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 1-19 16:24
I believe you're pushing your Mini too much. For my experience the strength and signal warning information system are not reliable. I think you should only use the Mini in visual LoS.

I've lost mine. I think you're pretty lucky to still have one, mine didn't even RtH.

Very sorry that you lost yours.
But whilst yes, i did push the range, and it could have gone further.   I was very careful with setting up / calibrating and paying attention to the winds aloft.  I didn't push the altitude either.  When you watch the video, the drone is fully GPS locked & knew its home point accurately.
When the glitches occurred, the drone was in a fully autonomous mode, and knew what it was doing.
Being  a new drone to the market, it's pretty much a certainty that there are kinks that still needing to be ironed out.
But i hope DJI do this soon.
2020-1-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12477300 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

if you like post your flightlog using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

log will mayby tell more about what happend.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-19
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I can’t see your video, but does it look like the aircraft is turning on it centre axis? I witnessed mine doing this in RTH with strong winds
2020-1-20
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ItsLunchBOX Posted at 1-19 23:37

Ah ... apologies.. fixed now hopefully.. It was set to be 'scheduled' by mistake..  Should now be live.
2020-1-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I've seen this issue before, it's clearly a software glitch and it's been around since firmware .02. It's clearly the gimbal that's moving, not the drone. You can tell that by how much the horizon is tilting. If it was the drone doing that, you would see it drifting to the right as soon as the image centered back.
2020-1-20
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I think you should not trust or push the range past vLoS w/ CE model. 2.4 GHz is way too busy and many 2.4 GHz signals may intervene along the path, unaware of your MM or homepoint scans.

After my experience I do not trust the MM anymore out of vLoS. I am saddened for your loss.
2020-1-20
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 1-20 01:02
I've seen this issue before, it's clearly a software glitch and it's been around since firmware .02. It's clearly the gimbal that's moving, not the drone. You can tell that by how much the horizon is tilting. If it was the drone doing that, you would see it drifting to the right as soon as the image centered back.

Any word on DJI trying to address the issue?
My Mini is using firmware . .04

Is there any way to force re-load the firmware? - This is what a DJI forum monitor suggested above?
How that might fix it i don't know... you'd think a firmware corruption would render the whole drone as a brick... It's either installed properly or not at all.
In any case.  I hope DJI sort this.
2020-1-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

yeah, I have the same doubts about this firmware refresh, I actually just opened up a new topic about it an hour ago. There was no comment on this issue from DJI afaik.
2020-1-20
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 1-20 01:46
yeah, I have the same doubts about this firmware refresh, I actually just opened up a new topic about it an hour ago. There was no comment on this issue from DJI afaik.

HI Ice,
Just curious, under your profile, you're showing 'Flight Distance' then a number in feet.
How did you get this to show ?  as i can't find it in my account settings here.
2020-1-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

PhasedSpaces Posted at 1-20 02:02
HI Ice,
Just curious, under your profile, you're showing 'Flight Distance' then a number in feet.
How did you get this to show ?  as i can't find it in my account settings here.

I didn't do it manually, I think it's just syncing the flights from my account, 42km seems about right for how long I've been using the Mini. Your account also doesn't show any drones, probably that's why there are no synced flights.
2020-1-20
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Twitch

you've got one glitch also at 6:06
2020-1-20
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

emaneg Posted at 1-20 02:21
you've got one glitch also at 6:06

Ah, good spot....
It's otherwise performing well..  
Also i noticed when i first took off & flew forwards..  There was a 'jolt' ..  but this could have been me switching to S mode & slamming on the brakes too much?
Anyway, the flight out was flawless..    got out to 2290m ---  Still full signal...  Pretty good for the CE version..  I was on 2.4ghz
2020-1-20
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 1-20 02:16
I didn't do it manually, I think it's just syncing the flights from my account, 42km seems about right for how long I've been using the Mini. Your account also doesn't show any drones, probably that's why there are no synced flights.

I actually deleted all my historical flights from within the app, as they were most, me just faffing about indoors, due to the ...e weather we've had for weeks in the UK.
2020-1-20
Use props
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 1-20 01:46
yeah, I have the same doubts about this firmware refresh, I actually just opened up a new topic about it an hour ago. There was no comment on this issue from DJI afaik.

Stupid question, but how DO i extract the flight log?  is it stored as a file on the phone? or on the drone? or both?
How do i access it as a file, so that it can be uploaded to DJI or someone here?
Cheers
2020-1-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

PhasedSpaces Posted at 1-20 02:46
Stupid question, but how DO i extract the flight log?  is it stored as a file on the phone? or on the drone? or both?
How do i access it as a file, so that it can be uploaded to DJI or someone here?
Cheers

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Check the instructions on that page
2020-1-20
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

PhasedSpaces Posted at 1-20 02:46
Stupid question, but how DO i extract the flight log?  is it stored as a file on the phone? or on the drone? or both?
Cheers

it's somewhere in your phone, inside a directory called DJIFly, I guess
2020-1-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

This has happened to me too once in FW 1.0.2, and also but less in latest 1.0.4 when going from hoover to full speed in Sports mode, only quick jump up or down depending on direction, which seems normal due to short and fast acceleration.
The fisrt one was clearly a glitch since it happened while hoovering with no stick input.
2020-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules