Skewed/slanted horizon issues after crash - any tips?
5269 15 2020-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ErikB_Sthlm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60791 ft
Guadeloupe

Hi,

I had had crash the other day, as reported here
https://forum.dji.com/thread-207174-1-1.html

Since then I've had issues with keeping the horizon level.

First, I had quite severe issues, but after doing a IMU calibration, it is just slightly off.
I've done several IMU, compass and gimbal calibrations, but the horizon is slightly off, and it varies with the direction of the heading.
So it is not constantly leaning in the same direction.

Here is a short clip where it is obvious that when the Mini is turned, the horizon tilts back and forth.

Any advice on what to do?
Do I need to utilize my Care Refresh and send it for repairs?

Thanks for any help.
2020-1-20
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Maybe the gimbal is actually bent? You might have to send that one in.
2020-1-20
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

If you dont see any obvious damage or rubbers loose in the gimbal, it may be damaged, gimbal motors are quite sensitive so maybe is time for care refresh...
I guess a gimbal calibration, compass and IMU would solve the problem, try reset camera settings too.
2020-1-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you crashed it will be known so maybe you need to send in get quote and see which option is best to use.
Before that check all mountings for the gimbal in case it just slipped to one side .
2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ErikB_Sthlm. I am sorry to know that you are having trouble with your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out. Since there was a crash that happened before. I would highly recommend to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to assist you further with regards to this issue.  We have the team who would do their best to fix the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
2020-1-21
Use props
ErikB_Sthlm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60791 ft
Guadeloupe

Hi and thanks,
actually, I reopened the mavic mini and upon thourough inspection, it seems like there is a small tear in one of the Gimbal rubber bands.

Could this small damage cause the displayed effects?

I've started a online repair request with DJI..
2020-1-21
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Let us know what dji saying? Good luck
2020-1-21
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can adjust the gimbal orientation manually in the DJI Fly control menu

Control / Gimbal calibration / Manual

You have the choice to change the gimbals horizontal or yaw position
2020-1-21
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

ErikB_Sthlm Posted at 1-21 12:53
Hi and thanks,
actually, I reopened the mavic mini and upon thourough inspection, it seems like there is a small tear in one of the Gimbal rubber bands.
https://i.imgur.com/lvb2NcP.png[/img]

That could be the cause for some jumps or jello, but not sure if would affect the horizontal adjustement, it clearly could be the case.

Let us know if you get it fixed or what DJI says.
2020-1-22
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Hope you get this sorted to your satisfaction
2020-1-22
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully DJI will get it fix!
2020-1-22
Use props
wictor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79436 ft

Germany

Any update on this? Is it possible to order those rubber dampers as spare parts?
2020-3-25
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

For what I've seen the gimbal can also be manually adjusted. If it doesn't cause a major wobble I'd surely go ahead and manually calibrate to be level.
2020-3-25
Use props
kamrog
lvl.1

Poland

Did you manage to get it fixed? I have exactly the same issue, replaced the cable, replaced rubber bands and still the same. Calibration of IMU, compass and gimbal doesn't help
2021-8-9
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

ErikB_Sthlm Posted at 2020-1-21 12:53
Hi and thanks,
actually, I reopened the mavic mini and upon thourough inspection, it seems like there is a small tear in one of the Gimbal rubber bands.
https://i.imgur.com/lvb2NcP.png[/img]

Quite an interesting video, I’m glad you managed to get it home though, as to the gimbal rubber crack and the horizon being slightly off, it wouldn’t surprise me if this is what has caused the horizon to be offset a little, I wonder though, more out of curiosity, if say maybe you used a little dab of lock title on the rubber crack, I’m wondering if this would have helped the calibration reset the gimbal to the correct position.

Still, as some have said, it’s great material for people who are new to drones.
2021-8-9
Use props
kamrog
lvl.1

Poland

Personally I have replaced all the rubbers, cable and when I calibrate gimbal on a flat surface it calibrates perfectly. The higher I fly the more horizon gets slanted. I tried to calibrate gimbal during the flight but as I rotate the drone horizon is tilting left and right and I have to calibrate every few seconds. Surprisingly when I fly down it gets sorted. Also I noticed that if the drone is facing same direction but I move it left and right keeping the view horizon is tilting as well but randomly, sometimes left, sometimes right. Nothing helps really. I am wondering if gimbal needs to be replaced. IMU calibration, compass have been done 100 times and still nothing helps.
2021-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules