3753 28 2020-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Molto33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22228 ft
United Kingdom

Hi !
So, yes, I know, I'm going to take a wave of comments from beginners telling me "me it does not bother me", or "Had to buy a racer, not a Mini!", Or "It's for the sweetness plans, you didn't understand anything! ", but I'm going anyway ... Since DJI's customer service seems to fall on deaf ears, and since no solution has been proposed for almost a month that I have my Mini ...

I have, and I'm not alone, a latency, a delay, with the camera movement, the Yaw.
The Mini acts with a half second offset (0.497 seconds according to my editing software), something that does not seem to be present in the original firmware, the factory firmware, the V01.00.001, and was added afterwards. .

Below, two videos, one showing you the difference between using a classic DJI stabilizer (OSMO pocket) and the Mini, which works the opposite, if I had known, I wouldn't would not have updated ...
And the second, from another English-speaking user, who shows the delay, and an alternative solution to remedy it.
Regarding me, coming back in 0.200, the problem seems blurred, not erased, but I would like to do a factory reset while waiting for the problem to be identified and resolved by DJI ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbc44-NXr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1G8-bZhxQ&feature=emb_title

Of course, i'm using a compatible smartphone, and my Mini parameters was set to default, uninstall and reinstall the app does not solve the problem...

Hoping that wakes up DJI, to add us an option to disable this slowness, loudness, of the Mini that should weight 249 grams, what an irony...
2020-1-21
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

Iam not sure whats your Problem here, the Mini rotates first the Gimabl then the drone itself. The result for an flying Camera is the same.
Or do you fly in Sport Mode in the Woods so that the 4m way in 2° different direction makes an big issue ?
2020-1-21
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Christian U Posted at 1-21 03:40
Iam not sure whats your Problem here, the Mini rotates first the Gimabl then the drone itself. The result for an flying Camera is the same.
Or do you fly in Sport Mode in the Woods so that the 4m way in 2° different direction makes an big issue ?

Exactly not !
On a Mavic Air, the drone turns first, and the gimbal follows, and that's how any stabilized camera should works.
I(m use to the Spark, which haven't a third gimbal axe, but, in my tests of the Mavic Air, or Pro, none of them acte like the Mini, they acts like normal, drone first, and the camera follows smoothly.

But, yeah, i understand, it has a option to solves that on DJIGO, if you want, the mavic Pro could act like the Mini, but not the reverse, the Mini, which replace the Spark, should have its reactivity basicly, like all others DJI drones...
2020-1-21
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

Makes sense, understood.
2020-1-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Molto33 Posted at 1-21 03:59
Exactly not !
On a Mavic Air, the drone turns first, and the gimbal follows, and that's how any stabilized camera should works.
I(m use to the Spark, which haven't a third gimbal axe, but, in my tests of the Mavic Air, or Pro, none of them acte like the Mini, they acts like normal, drone first, and the camera follows smoothly.

Hiya

Hi,
Interesting post.

But i did some tests once about this gimbal yawing and i do remember that also on a MA the gimbal yaws first, craft follows.

So i will try this again.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-21
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You have a parameter to solve the gimbal sensitivity on DJIGO, but by default, that sensitivity is none at all, that is better, and much precise for flying.
2020-1-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Molto, just to clarify, the version v01.00.0400 enhances the stability of the Gimbal, or it would sometimes make a low noise during the self-inspection or shake when meeting strong winds since the ultra-light limit the drone's structure.
BTW, the gimbal Yaw is actually not directly being controlled. The controller moves the Yaw of the aircraft then the gimbal follows the aircraft. It is different from Osmo pocket and is not comparable. Thank you for your attention.
2020-1-21
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 1-21 20:18
Hi Molto, just to clarify, the version v01.00.0400 enhances the stability of the Gimbal, or it would sometimes make a low noise during the self-inspection or shake when meeting strong winds since the ultra-light limit the drone's structure.
BTW, the gimbal Yaw is actually not directly being controlled. The controller moves the Yaw of the aircraft then the gimbal follows the aircraft. It is different from Osmo pocket and is not comparable. Thank you for your attention.
I have been tested the Mavic Air and a Mavic Pro recently, to compare it, because my comparative with the spark seems not relevent, in cause of the two axes gimbal in front of three.

And, on the Air or Pro, the gimbal follows the drone, not the opposite, naturally...

To fly at view, without checking the camera, the drone have to be responsive, and now, it's not the case...
The 0.400 firmware slows down the drone reaction, which is uncontrollable...
Maybe it's more stable, but the drone's reaction is more slow, so, not usable.

A stand on 0.200 until this problem is solved by DJI, or an option is available.

Go check the forum in the first comment, people complaining this comportement are a lot ;)
So, it's not normal...
2020-1-22
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Edit: sorry, I was hoping than only my videos should shows the problem, the forum is here: https://mavicpilots.com/#mavic-mini-series.86
2020-1-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

DJI Thor Posted at 1-21 20:18
BTW, the gimbal Yaw is actually not directly being controlled. The controller moves the Yaw of the aircraft then the gimbal follows the aircraft.

I think the OP's point is exactly that, the aircraft follows the gimbal, not the other way around. His first video seems to support that.
2020-1-22
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I've noticed that too; basically it behaves like Mavic Pro when the gimbal is set to follow and it is the same setting I normally use; because of that I found no issue on Mavic Mini.
Could you explain why do you prefer the gimbal follow to be disabled? thanks
2020-1-22
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Mgozer Posted at 1-22 00:46
I've noticed that too; basically it behaves like Mavic Pro when the gimbal is set to follow and it is the same setting I normally use; because of that I found no issue on Mavic Mini.
Could you explain why do you prefer the gimbal follow to be disabled? thanks

Here, in France, we have to fly at sight, with drone in view, so, the camera is just a checking accessorie, for me.
Maybe i've benn use to the Spark, wich is reactive like a charm, with only two axes.
But, i've been tested the Air and the Pro, and none act like that, in case of you have to dodge a branche, or a post, the 0.5 seconds of delay should be problematic.

I havent noticed any trouble with Pro or Air, with the gimbal follows, and the image still crystal clear, without any problem...

Here, are some other video to point the interest to have a reactive drone, instead of a reactive camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_z_4Ff5aas&t

And please, go check the Mavicpilots Forum, which is full of complains about this delay, and full of used pilots from the others produtcs...

Like otherelse, i've been say: If Your car is delayed for hald a second when turning, newbies should be able to use is, but not able to evolve to others car models which don't act like that...
2020-1-22
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Interesting feature... pre-loading the gimbal mechanical stabilization to prepare an even smoother rotation. It's a very nice feature.

I can also understand why the FC responds with more latency in GPS mode. I don't know how much of a problem that could be but I tend to agree... one wouldn't want to see reactions being slowed down during a product firmware upgrade.
2020-1-22
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 1-22 01:56
Interesting feature... pre-loading the gimbal mechanical stabilization to prepare an even smoother rotation. It's a very nice feature.

I can also understand why the FC responds with more latency in GPS mode. I don't know how much of a problem that could be but I tend to agree... one wouldn't want to see reactions being slowed down during a product firmware upgrade.

Sure, it could be useful for some situation, but, forces it, it's not relevant...
2020-1-22
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Is anyone from DJI engenniers came here to see all the problems that are related in this forum (on the Official DJI website) ?
2020-1-24
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Apparently not...
Their are pictures from the Logs of two differents Mini, an a Phantom 4, do you see the problem ?
Let guess ;)

2020-1-30
Use props
fazfarren
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285295 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Mini. On the phantom there is a setting in the advanced gimbal menu “Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow”. It is checked by default. When checked, the gimbal will yaw before the aircraft as the mini does, but you can toggle the feature off and have the gimbal behave as the OP wants, so the aircraft yaws immediately and the gimbal will follow to keep a smooth, stable image. It looks like DJI would need to update both the mini firmware and the Fly app to add this functionality but I can see why both modes are useful.
2020-5-17
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
France

fazfarren Posted at 5-17 11:18
I have a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Mini. On the phantom there is a setting in the advanced gimbal menu “Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow”. It is checked by default. When checked, the gimbal will yaw before the aircraft as the mini does, but you can toggle the feature off and have the gimbal behave as the OP wants, so the aircraft yaws immediately and the gimbal will follow to keep a smooth, stable image. It looks like DJI would need to update both the mini firmware and the Fly app to add this functionality but I can see why both modes are useful.

Yeah, on DjiGO4, WE should set this option on or off, but, not in DJI Fly...

In fact, not in the Mini, the Air2 already had this function... DJI treats its Christmas costumers as they don't exist anymore...
2020-5-17
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 270118 ft
United Kingdom

I do not understand how people think this is not an issue. I never ever had a racer, only basic crafts then camera craft, and what a silly comparison. If these things are not an issue for you, then please do not halt progress for those that see as one by adding useless comments, and belittling what truly is a big issue. What if your car steered that way, would you settle for that? I had my mini 1 day and it is the only thing that really bothers me. That is what led me here. Flummoxed by the remarks. Even worse if is for beginners, what would they learn from that?
And i thought the whole point is for the craft to move follwed by gimbal, that way the gimbal catches up slowly with the craft, not stopping suddenly. That IS the whole point of a gimbal right?
2020-6-5
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
France

addxm Posted at 6-5 16:47
I do not understand how people think this is not an issue. I never ever had a racer, only basic crafts then camera craft, and what a silly comparison. If these things are not an issue for you, then please do not halt progress for those that see as one by adding useless comments, and belittling what truly is a big issue. What if your car steered that way, would you settle for that? I had my mini 1 day and it is the only thing that really bothers me. That is what led me here. Flummoxed by the remarks. Even worse if is for beginners, what would they learn from that?
And i thought the whole point is for the craft to move follwed by gimbal, that way the gimbal catches up slowly with the craft, not stopping suddenly. That IS the whole point of a gimbal right?
Yeah, that's exactly the examples I tell on the French forums: if your car takes an half of a second to turn, it's problematic, exactly like a drone...
But, maybe I had a solution: cover the down sensors with adhesive, and make a tiny hole to not perturb the sensors, and magic, the mini isn't a big truck in the air, but, it shouldn't be at us to do this modification but at DJI...
2020-6-5
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Molto33 Posted at 6-5 16:54
Yeah, that's exactly the examples I tell on the French forums: if your car takes an half of a second to turn, it's problematic, exactly like a drone...
But, maybe I had a solution: cover the down sensors with adhesive, and make a tiny hole to not perturb the sensors, and magic, the mini isn't a big truck in the air, but, it shouldn't be at us to do this modification but at DJI...

You  mean the infra red led sensors? So cover them, leaving a tiny hole so they still work a bit right? ANd what about the middle sensor, it is an optical flow sensor, do you put a hole in tape over that too? I have been covering middle and leaving 2 infra red sensors open, that way it hovers over water without going silly. Also ordered some convexed and concaved small lenses to see if either effects sensors (some that magnify, some that shrink).
Please DJI add something to fix this normally, like in the app.
2020-6-6
Use props
Molto33
lvl.2
France

The two sensors at the back below the mini.
I've seen some videos on YouTube which proves that seems to works.
If you blind it completely, the drone flies up infinitely, with a tiny hole, light come in, but the drone isn't capable to see the floor, and act without delay anymore.
But, yeah... I will prefer too if DJI add something rather adding things for the Air2 and fattening our app for nothing...
2020-6-6
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Molto33 Posted at 6-6 02:28
The two sensors at the back below the mini.
I've seen some videos on YouTube which proves that seems to works.
If you blind it completely, the drone flies up infinitely, with a tiny hole, light come in, but the drone isn't capable to see the floor, and act without delay anymore.

In between those sensors looks exactly like an optical flow sensor. Pretty sure it is one. I have a different drone with optical flow, and the sensor looks the same. The 2 black led sensors (look like black leds) are proximity sensors only, they can not read detailed info, they are just proximity sensors. When i covered them alone, the drone would keep trying to go down into ground when close to it. I only cover middle OFS for now.  

o f sensor

o f sensor
2020-6-6
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

To the best of my knowledge the two lateral LEDs are used as a rangefinder, one casts a light (invisible to the naked eye), the other reads the returning light back and finally the system provides a guesstimate of the approximate distance to ground. The central optic should be a camera, in the visible spectrum, much like those on smartphones, and provide an aerial view of what's underneath. It might not be color filtered (RGB) but should be able to provide a picture good enough to determine if the surface below is suitable for landing and to aid precision positioning.
2020-6-6
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

m80116 Posted at 6-6 04:15
To the best of my knowledge the two lateral LEDs are used as a rangefinder, one casts a light (invisible to the naked eye), the other reads the returning light back and finally the system provides a guesstimate of the approximate distance to ground. The central optic should be a camera, in the visible spectrum, much like those on smartphones, and provide an aerial view of what's underneath. It might not be color filtered (RGB) but should be able to provide a picture good enough to determine if the surface below is suitable for landing and to aid precision positioning.

Thanks. that is interesting, perhaps a + lens on one ir, and a - lens on the other could do something. worth experimenting.  not sure what effect a lens would have on the middle one, again I am going to try them when the time is right.
2020-6-6
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I had a yaw problem. Now i don't, solved it easily. NOW it is spot on perfect and handles like a dream. I refreshed latest firmware, i centred and recalibrated gimble. Then i turned off "Pitch Smoothness". Seriously this thing is good now! Extremely good. Able to fly in fpv like its an xbox game, and get agile with it! Pretty sure Pitch Smoothness did it. Have a slow pitch, and also use the pitch control softly. "pitch smoothness" seems to be making it happen.  

I don't care, I only care that now it handles like a Heffing dream!

2020-6-6
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Update. Sorry, it was not pitch smoothness, It was one of the other things i did above. Maybe because i used the assistant2 to refresh firmware.
I have since played with pitch smoothness and no Yaw issue still.  (hey, we all learn as we go sometimes!)
2020-6-9
Use props
djiuser_267jcyL97zif
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15738737 ft
Bulgaria

If the drone move first and the gimble second we still end up with leggy picture on the phone without knowing the exact fly path even if the controls are not lagging.

I think the app should crop the video a little from left or right, depending on the gimble position to compensate.
2020-6-9
Use props
addxm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I found user height parameters in dh tool. no need for lenses lol.
2020-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules