First Resolve 16 Video
908 13 2020-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raymacke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

This is the first time I shot footage specifically to edit into a video.  Before I was just flying around, learning to handle the MM and sort of got what I got and cobbled it together.  Also, updated to a more powerful laptop that will handle Resolve so gave that a try too.  Still learning the editing process and trying to find what makes a decent video.

Looking for advice and criticism. (Not going to hurt my feelings) For one thing, after I put this together and watched it, I wonder if the clips are too repetitive/similar.

Any thoughts?
BTW - I realized when editing the Mini had been doing battle with what I guess were bees. You can see them in the last clip. When I landed the MM it had gunk all over it but was puzzled as to what it was. Now I know.....

2020-1-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Not bad for a rookie, not bad at all ! Two things to practice for future projects of this kind:

1. Point Of Interest type flight to create more variety in footage to choose from for final montage.
2. Due to MM's limitations for video (Auto Exposure and WB), try to avoid revealing the sky in the frame as much as possible, particularly during cloudy days. This is visible in backward flights, when sky is gradually taking over, darkening the main object and basically everything below horizon. Try to keep horizon line as high as possible, unless Mother Nature is providing capturing worthy sky features. Good luck ...
2020-1-30
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I have also just started to play with Davinci Resolve and the Mavic Mini and have to say I really enjoyed you video! Really clean and uncomplicated video shots with great timing to the music. I think less is best when it comes to movement in cinematic footage and you nailed it. Cheers
2020-1-30
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 1-30 19:25
Not bad for a rookie, not bad at all ! Two things to practice for future projects of this kind:

1. Point Of Interest type flight to create more variety in footage to choose from for final montage.

Very helpful tips. Thank you! Nice video Raymacke.
2020-1-30
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Very nice for a first time
2020-1-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one.
Resolve is a good editor, especially considering it's price (free).
2020-1-31
Use props
Mortensldk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Nice video
2020-1-31
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Very nice indeed!
I also started using Davinci with the mini, I used premiere and Vegas in the past, and love Davinci workflow, handy, fast and the color page just awesome.

My only criticism would be when music ends and goes silence, better to loop it or used that as the end of the video. Keeping it around 2 minutes helps with not getting too boring.

Other than that, great job, nice shots of that collapsing building, love places like that.
2020-1-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice first attempt,  keep them coming.
2020-1-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice first attempt.  Excellent tips from Matthew Dobrski and InspektorGadjet.  I'm still a newbie at videoing and learning to use Filmora and Resolve.  Hallmark 007 provided me with an awesome source to learn from and I've really taken a liking to video and photography now.  But, I have a long way to go.  Keep up the great work and looking forward to more of your videos.
2020-1-31
Use props
Raymacke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

Thanks for the input. I thought it ended up a little long and repetitive. I agree I needed more distinctly different clips and fewer of them. It is rough though when you end up with all the footage and have to try to weed out and keep it short. Bad footage is easy to dump but sometimes there are good shots that need the delete key. That's harder.

Speaking of hard - I didn't realize there is so much that goes into just shooting the video with drones.  Deciding on a shot, setting adjustments as needed, then trying to fly the MM where I actually want it to go (successful about 25% of the time!)  - all while trying not to run into anything. I was standing between 350 and 500 ft away depending on where on the building I was shooting. I could see the MM but depth perception was a real problem when making low level passes. Almost put in in palm trees twice! No, easy it isn't - but sure is fun!
2020-1-31
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Harder Hall (that is what she said) .  Nice documentation!
2020-1-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice one
2020-2-1
Use props
flcusat
lvl.2
United States

Very nice. I just installed Resolve and keeps crashing on me.
2020-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules