Using Mini as handheld gimbal
2057 7 2020-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edmaj37
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hello,

Flying a drone in a National Park is not allowed in the US and Canada.  I'm intending to use it as a handheld gimbal.  However since I'm not flying do not want to unfold it but simply remove the gimbal cover.  Same with the controller, there is no point in attaching the control sticks or unfolding the antennas.  I can still start/stop the recording and control the up/down movement of the camera.

So here my question: is there a problem with powering up the mini still folded up but with the gimbal cover removed?

Andre

2020-2-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see any problem by turning it on and not unfolding it.
2020-2-8
Use props
edmaj37
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks, much appreciated!
2020-2-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shouldn't be a problem,  for other drones there are people making mounts to use it exactly this way.
2020-2-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. As advised by both Lucas775 on post  #2 and DAFlys on post #4 that you can power on the DJI Mavic Mini even if the arms are folded. just a friendly reminder to please always remove the gimbal cover before turning on the said drone to avoid any gimbal issues or gimbal overloaded message in the future. Thank you.
2020-2-10
Use props
edmaj37
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks guys!  I figured it was OK but still wanted to verify.  Understood on the gimbal (and not turning on propellers my mistake!!), lol

Andre
2020-2-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

edmaj37 Posted at 2-10 15:57
Thanks guys!  I figured it was OK but still wanted to verify.  Understood on the gimbal (and not turning on propellers my mistake!!), lol

Andre

You are more than welcome. If you have other concern or inquiry, please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum, we are here to help. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-2-10
Use props
whickey15
New

United States

I tried this in Zion National Park. I wanted to capture the mountain tops, so i was holding the mini by hand, aimed it toward the sky and the gimble autocorrected back to a level plane (as it should).

Anyone know what setting I could toggle to allow me to manually capture video above the y-axis threshold?
2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules