Why our drone videos are terrible.
2353 4 2020-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Unless you are devoid of intellect, you will be an expert in watching videos, films, DVDs or television.
You know what you like to see and if it fails to hold your attention, it is not good enough, poorly-done. You are the final arbiter.

That being the case, why don't we take a fresh look at what we delight in watching and make our own production along those lines. After all, you bought the drone, perhaps have a still camera and have the ability to travel beyond your back yard.

The first mistake is to watch amateur videos. They have nothing to learn from but their mistakes.
Almost every Youtube, Vimeo or drone sites (as we are focussing on drones) pump out the lowest quality productions you can imagine. So why watch them in the expectation of learning anything?

OK, I admit I have done the same, but I have realised my stupidity. I decided to look at professional productions for tips. The BBC in the UK was my first choice. Because I enjoy scenery and most drone videoes take this stuff, here is a link I found. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ep ... -series-8-episode-1
If you play without sound, you will understand how vital it is to have the right sound. Even a pro video is boring without it. In this case, it is a narration.
Narration, music or natural sounds are essential to the production.
To be interesting, the production must be something you, the expert viewer, will like. Some refer to it as a story. Unless you are making Skyfall or the sound of music, it will just be a theme. Those poor quality videoes we all churn out are nothing more than a slide show of video clips.
I understand why we take them, but we shouldn't be surprised at how bad the expert watcher thinks they are. Let's face it, if a TV station were to play that sort of rubbish, they would lose their audience in seconds. Our friends might say they like our videos, but that's because they are friends.

Well, I've bought the damn drone now, what can I do?

You don't need to do anything unless you want to. Just keep doing what you are doing, because it is just a hobby. Actually, true hobbyists want to develop the skills to create something awesome. Something they will be recognised for.

Drone Video production is the hardest creative process I can think of because it requires such a diverse skill set.
1/ You need to plan your production using a 'storyboard' so you have clear goals. A lot of fly-around footage cobbled together in the hope of an epic is misguided. Even a slideshow requires planning to achieve a clear theme. You will also be aiming the production at a small target audience. People who love to explore abandoned castles won't be motivated to watch waves running up a shoreline. Two different targets.
Things like natural lighting, time of day, weather, is important. If your production needs out of sequence shots, will the change in sunlight affect the colour of the edited work?
2/ The ability to fly close to the subject needs to be mastered. In all types of photography, close in on the subject makes the greatest impact. You need to practice all those cute manoeuvres you watched on YouTube tutorials.
3/ To be able to compose the shot while juggling controls is particularly difficult. Many stills photographers can't manage an inspiring shot with an expensive camera and a large zoom lens. They don't have the distraction of flying.
4/ There is editing. There is more to it than cutting off the rubbish and hoping the stunning scenes are going to keep the expert watcher happy. You have to consider the storyboard and objective while exercising artistic skill.
5/ The colour adjustments to the clips and subsequent grading is another major skill. Did you really think you can drop into the seat of a highly paid pro, just because you happened to find a few LUTS?
6/ The sound will make or break the best-executed video. Are you a sound expert? You will have personal preferences but is it the same as your target audience? Does it fit with the theme or story?
7/ How will you start and end your production? The expert viewer has selected your epic and wants to get on with watching it. Why would they give a hoot what youcall yourself or who helped make it? Keep these things unobtrusive and get on with the show. If they are impressed, they will seek you out.
8/ Here is the biggest hurdle of all. Marketing the production. Marketing doesn't just mean selling, it means advertising and attracting the target audience. Your skill at choosing a catchy title, blurb and cover picture is paramount because these are the first clues the expert watcher will see. It has to be compelling enough to get them to watch. Can you do that?

I admit I am as guilty as anyone here about putting my rubbish up for others to see.
That was then!
I have realised my mistake and will concentrate on a production where others with real skills can work with me to create something to be proud of. If that means I don't fly the drone to make the video then so be it. At least I won't be boring you with another slide show of video clips.

2020-2-29
Use props
flashhmob
lvl.1

India

An Interrupt Inside article on how wireless video systems are implemented to give a First Person View (FPV) to the pilot remote controlling the drone.
2020-3-1
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I don't understand what you mean.
2020-3-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-1 22:58
I don't understand what you mean.

Me neither
2020-3-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good point btw.
In my (humble) opinion a drone video is usually not very interesting.
Video is (should be) about a story you want to tell and the drone footage usually only tells a small part of it.
But I love making them
2020-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules