Behold the RoboMaster EP!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

I generated the documentation in the SDK project and look what I found! It looks to me this is the same as the S1 but with a robotic arm which might be possible to attach directly to the S1 anyway.

RoboMaster EP

RoboMaster EP
2020-3-7
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

The documentation (which appears to be Chinese only for now) clearnly mentions the Text Mode SDK protocol and I can confirm this works on the Robomaster S1 as is. If you check previous posts I made, you will see there were references to a Robotic Arm on it.
2020-3-7
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

We can finally detect IR hits!

def ir_hit_detection_event(msg):

DJI went all in on this one. Moderators, extend my thanks to the engineers. I was never so glad that a lot of work I did will suddenly become obsolete.

2020-3-7
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

WHen I say all in, I mean it!

9. UART
serial_ctrl.serial_config( baud_rate , data_bit , odd_even , stop_bit )
description:       
Set baud rate, data bit, parity bit and stop bit properties of the serial port

parameter:       
baud_rate -set baud rate, selectable baud rate is 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200
data_bit -set data bit, optional data bits are cs7, cs8
odd_even_crc -set odd parity, see table for detailsodd_even_crc
stop_bit -set the stop bit, optional stop bits are 1, 2
return:       
no

Example:       
serial_ctrl.serial_config(9600, 'cs8', 'none', '1')

Example description:       
Set the baud rate of the serial port to 9600, data bits to 8 bits, no parity check, and stop bit to 1 bit
2020-3-7
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

It appears, if I can trust the Google Translate translation, that it is fully documented in a way that even external accessories can be created for it and controlled by it! Really exciting!
2020-3-7
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

The robot can also be controlled through a USB connection, BTW. Bu I think it is just TCP/IP over USB (or, more specifically, USB ethernet).

2020-3-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day BGA. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Rest assured DJI is doing it's best to give out the best customer experience to all. Again thank you for your valued support and keep on programming. .
2020-3-7
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Many educators will love the Robomaster EP and this may break the resistance to adopt it in so many classrooms. I mentionned to an educator in a school that already has the RoboMaster S1 and his grin split ear to ear!
2020-3-7
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210226 ft
United States

Awesome, great work! This looks amazing.

What’s going on with the running boards / mudguards on the S1 in the background? It looks like 4 additional sensors on there.
2020-3-7
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

Well, I found your post about the SDK, and I think I can answer my question!

The new thing on top of the S1 camera in the background is an IR distance sensor. The four sensors on the “mudguards” are Time Of Flight (TOF) distance sensors.

The M0 port (red) appears to be the connection point for the gripper servos.

The SDK has a whole section dedicated to creating custom UIs!
2020-3-7
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

gpvillamil Posted at 3-7 18:14
Well, I found your post about the SDK, and I think I can answer my question!

The new thing on top of the S1 camera in the background is an IR distance sensor. The four sensors on the “mudguards” are Time Of Flight (TOF) distance sensors.

Yep. I am pretty sure you are correct. That will be great for autonomous driving!
2020-3-8
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

I am excited about the custom UI, it suggests a way of interacting with a running program. Currently both the autonomous and custom skills are “fire and forget” so to speak.
2020-3-8
Use props
JohnnyRobotic
lvl.3
United States

BGA Posted at 3-7 10:46
The documentation (which appears to be Chinese only for now) clearnly mentions the Text Mode SDK protocol and I can confirm this works on the Robomaster S1 as is. If you check previous posts I made, you will see there were references to a Robotic Arm on it.

We may have an arm tomorrow:
https://dronedj.com/2020/03/04/dji-leaks-photos-of-new-dji-robomaster-to-be-released-on-march-9th/
2020-3-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks impressive!
2020-3-9
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

Leaked video from Taiwan. So much to unpack here! At 1:20 it looks like it has an Nvidia Jetson attached!

2020-3-9
Use props
JohnnyRobotic
lvl.3
United States

Just in time. I have a Jetson arriving later this week!
2020-3-9
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

gpvillamil Posted at 3-9 06:30
Leaked video from Taiwan. So much to unpack here! At 1:20 it looks like it has an Nvidia Jetson attached!

https://youtu.be/-9io9SXvd8Y

This reinforces my thesis that it is not a new robot, but an add-on package. Maybe you can buy the EP as a standalone thing but it would be crazy not to make the other stuff available for the s1
2020-3-9
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

If you pay close attention to the narration, esp in the build video which is floating around, they refer to an EP robot which can be built as a "sorter form", a "carrier form" and a "sentry form". In the build video they discuss attaching the arm to the S1.

So I imagine you'd be able to buy an EP which is a complete robot with an arm, and possibly also a kit to retrofit an S1 with all the extra sensors, and also the arm. I personally would happily buy a new EP with arm, and also retrofit my S1 with the sensor package.  (In fact, I'd happily trade most of my existing robots for Robomasters - GJS GEIO and Reach Mekamon, I'm looking at you). The S1 has all the extra ports and mount points that are shown.

The exciting thing about the video is that it really demonstrates a much more cohesive and expansive vision of the product:
  • Arm
  • Enhanced obstacle detection sensors
  • Structured game with multiple robot types at once (engineer, carrier, sentry, aerial)
  • Enhanced SDK with full access to UART
  • Integration with 3rd party compute (Jetson Nano and Raspberry Pi appear in the video)
  • Multi-robot communication
  • Custom UI

That is a lot of stuff, easily a year's worth of work.

Still missing:
  • Teleoperation over the Internet
  • Autonomous self-driving (ie steer between two white lines)

2020-3-9
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

It looks like the S1 is renamed EP Standard, and adds more sensors. Scroll down: https://www.robomaster.com/en-US/robo/teen
2020-3-9
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

gpvillamil Posted at 3-9 08:07
It looks like the S1 is renamed EP Standard, and adds more sensors. Scroll down: https://www.robomaster.com/en-US/robo/teen

Gee! I could barely scroll down passed the announcement of the new RoboMaster Youth competitive robotics league in China.
I can't wait for it to land in North America!
And I already have the RoboMaster Aerial, i.e. the DJI Tello EDU drone. Can't wait to program my S1 and Tello EDU to do some cooperative work together through their respective SDKs.
2020-3-9
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

JohnnyRobotic Posted at 3-9 06:50
Just in time. I have a Jetson arriving later this week!

The controller board shown in the video is actuallt a Raspberry Pi. But I'm sure that any expansion processor capable of communicating via any of the mecanisms put in place for the EP, including Wi-Fi (Direct or LAN), USB or UART.

2020-3-9
Use props
gpvillamil
lvl.4
United States

rhoude57 - YUL Posted at 3-9 13:26
The controller board shown in the video is actuallt a Raspberry Pi. But I'm sure that any expansion processor capable of communicating via any of the mecanisms put in place for the EP, including Wi-Fi (Direct or LAN), USB or UART.

[view_image]

Earlier on in the video is a Jetson.

2020-3-9
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

gpvillamil Posted at 3-9 14:06
Earlier on in the video is a Jetson.

[view_image]

Luving it!
2020-3-9
Use props
Grimmel
lvl.1
United States

This product line is getting more interesting!
2020-3-9
Use props
JB63
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gpvillamil Posted at 3-9 08:07

True, except that they added 4 sensors on top of the 4 wheels, and another sensor on top of the camera.

Their past competitions involved a lot of hardware building + programming. It seems (to me) they're after standardizing the hardware, and possibly have the competitors invest more on software and 'ready-to-use’ electronics (Raspberry PI, .. etc)

I hope they've improved the battery life, and that we can get the EP add-ons to retrofit the S1 ... otherwise that'll be a big disappointment.

Now, the S1 has two degrees-of-freedom on top of the chassis: Rotation of the gimbal (Yaw), and pitch/tilt of the canon. For the EP however, the robotic arm has 3 dofs, 2 for the motion of the arm, and one for the opening/closing the gripper. Well, We can 'consider' the canon shooter as another dof for the S1. I guess the question is how many DOFs one can control with the native RM electronics. Granted, if one adds an RPI/Arduino, the options are limitless. Also, since they're saying the EP can use lego bricks, are they just talking about plastic bricks or possibly even the Lego Mindstorms Suite?
2020-3-14
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

JB63 Posted at 3-14 16:48
True, except that they added 4 sensors on top of the 4 wheels, and another sensor on top of the camera.

Their past competitions involved a lot of hardware building + programming. It seems (to me) they're after standardizing the hardware, and possibly have the competitors invest more on software and 'ready-to-us' electronics (Raspberry PI, .. etc)

From the Banggood RoboMaster EP product Description, the Intelligent Battery will be the same used on the RoboMaster S1.
2020-3-14
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

JB63 Posted at 3-14 16:48
True, except that they added 4 sensors on top of the 4 wheels, and another sensor on top of the camera.

Their past competitions involved a lot of hardware building + programming. It seems (to me) they're after standardizing the hardware, and possibly have the competitors invest more on software and 'ready-to-us' electronics (Raspberry PI, .. etc)

From the Banggood Product Description of the RoboMaster EP, the four sensors on the corners of the RMS EP are narrow-beam IR distance sensors.
The one on top is a Wide-bean Distance Sensor.

The Specs for those sensors are as follows:

Narrow Infrared Units:
Effective Range [1]: 6 m (in indoor lighting conditions)
Effective Area: Varies from 10°to 40°
Effective area decreases as distance from the target increases.

Wide Infrared Units:
Effective Range [1]: 3 m (in indoor lighting conditions)
Effective Width: 360° (in indoor lighting conditions)

I assume the effective width of 360 is because the turret can rotate the entire azimuth range.

And the Banggood Product Descrption doesn't provide an expansion on note [1], probably explaining what DJI means by "Effective Range".
2020-3-14
Use props
JMynes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228012 ft
United States

A recoilless rifle attachment would be nice.
2020-3-16
Use props
FraNCKDJI
lvl.2
Mexico

BGA Posted at 3-7 10:46
The documentation (which appears to be Chinese only for now) clearnly mentions the Text Mode SDK protocol and I can confirm this works on the Robomaster S1 as is. If you check previous posts I made, you will see there were references to a Robotic Arm on it.

Does sdk work on robomaster s1? you have proofs or an example with SDK
2020-3-18
Use props
BGA
Second Officer
Brazil

FraNCKDJI Posted at 3-18 10:51
Does sdk work on robomaster s1? you have proofs or an example with SDK

Only if you have root access to the robot to enable it. Also, asnthe firmware was not updated with the last app release, it is possible it is only a partial implementation.

I am not sure what you mean by proof. I can not prove anything to you and even if I could, it would be useless for the reason mentioned above (unless you happen to know how to get root access on the S1).
2020-3-18
Use props
FraNCKDJI
lvl.2
Mexico

BGA Posted at 3-18 11:51
Only if you have root access to the robot to enable it. Also, asnthe firmware was not updated with the last app release, it is possible it is only a partial implementation.

I am not sure what you mean by proof. I can not prove anything to you and even if I could, it would be useless for the reason mentioned above (unless you happen to know how to get root access on the S1).

My dude is about of SDK, you can use the communication from SDK, how to access on mode root? Are you have an idea?
2020-3-19
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Awesome, great work! This looks amazing.
2020-3-26
Use props
theportalwpg
lvl.1
Canada

Any idea when a Canada release will be?
2020-11-20
Use props
Ruud O
lvl.2

Netherlands

I bought the EP a few months ago....  what a rip off.
No curricilum, no support, no gimbal, no nothing.
All examples are S1 based.

I bought mine in the Netherlands (Europe)

2020-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules