Best Filters for Mavic Mini (Manufacture)
25544 24 2020-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tim UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

What are the best Filters (Manufacture) for the Mavic Mini?

Has anyone tested them?
Had problems?
Recommendations Etc.

I have read that adding a filter to the Mini’s gimbal is problematic due to the weight. Does that mean filters are not advised for the Mini? DJi do not sell them, is it because they don’t advise using one.

I am considering Tiffen, FstopLabs and maybe Freewell
Have read bad or problematic reports on Pgytech, JSR and Sunnylife.

Let’s get to the bottom of this question before we spend our money.

Tim
PS – Dji please respond to this question regarding ‘Adding a filter to Mini - OK or Don't’.
2020-3-22
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I have the SunnyLife ones which are in my book one of the most comprehensive set and the best bang for your buck purchase.

For what I have seen filters on the MM gimbal are pretty well tolerated. In rare very windy conditions they could cause some electronically induced gimbal shake, probably because the Electronic Control Software isn't expecting the additional wait causing an unusual response from the gimbal.

DJI will surely advise you don't... as they haven't developed the MM gimbal and lens with add-ons in mind.
2020-3-22
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I have Sunnylife, for video there ok, if you switch to photo mode you can see vignetting in the corners
2020-3-22
Use props
Tim UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I think I am looking at a more professional lens. The Sunnylife are at the cheapest end of the market and the polarizer filter is fixed. If you can't rotate it to the angle required, it is pretty useless.
2020-3-22
Use props
Tim UK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Just found this on YouTube and it has made me think again about filters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgdmhrQ8NKU
2020-3-22
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

What they usually fail to tell you is this:

Gathering the light at a level that's more favourable for the sensor enables you to capture more details, especially in the highlights. Since also the MM has very low NR I find it particularly beneficial using a filter to bring the light level down where the sensor has more dynamic range to capture the light, this means gaining an additional depth in the highlights at a cost of a slightly degraded low lights.

Then again... 24mm (35mm equivalent) camera, what should I do with it ? I like panoramas... I like the idea of capturing especially the sky details, I like polarized skies and I don't mind if they're a bit uneven, I've been congratulated numerous times because the skies were "polarized" but I've never received a spoken complaint about skies being uneven, a PL can possibly add an interesting layer of variation, much like gel filters. Did ever hear anybody say to a landscape photographer that their shot was ruined from a graduated ND filter ? I don't think so... and anyway the Interweb is full of shark jumpers.

More to consider is possible vignetting, since I don't shoot many pictures I didn't even notice bad vignetting with my SunnyLife filters, but if they say so worth checking, for sure.
2020-3-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the freewell set for my Mavic Mini and I have nothing bad to say about them.  I am quite happy with them.
2020-3-22
Use props
fans322fcc83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93120 ft
Netherlands

m80116 Posted at 3-22 14:27
I have the SunnyLife ones which are in my book one of the most comprehensive set and the best bang for your buck purchase.

For what I have seen filters on the MM gimbal are pretty well tolerated. In rare very windy conditions they could cause some electronically induced gimbal shake, probably because the Electronic Control Software isn't expecting the additional wait causing an unusual response from the gimbal.

Which set of sunnylife u have? The ND set (6 filters) or the ND-PL (4 filters)? Hesitating on which to buy.
2FDFB1CD-D37E-481F-8266-6A233C84D623.png
A33E9075-DE22-4EAE-A1E7-B7074802356C.png
2020-4-27
Use props
fans392d9629
lvl.1

United States

So I just tried out my new Freewell filter today. About halfway through 2 flights I experienced gimble shake with a gimble warning. After removing the filter I had no issues each time. Any help would be welcome. BTW, I was filming while moving very slowly going with the wind the first time this occurred. I don't remember circumstances for the second time. Thanks
2020-6-6
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

fans322fcc83 Posted at 4-27 12:25
Which set of sunnylife u have? The ND set (6 filters) or the ND-PL (4 filters)? Hesitating on which to buy.

Hi,

I personally have the second set (without ND-PL filters, only ND) and it works great. No gimbal issue at all even at full speed in sport mode and very nice video since I use them. I use most of the time the ND8 and when it is very sunny, I take the 16 or 32.
2020-6-6
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

i have the pgytech nd set 8 through to 64...all work perfect, colors are perfect, no vignetting nor gimbal issues. Compared shots with without filter - no noticeable difference. Tiffen have to be good but for the price plus delivery not sure it is worth the hassle...round pl/nd sets were tempting me but unfortunately they introduce flickering at certain angles
2020-6-6
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I've been learning/improving with Skyreat's fixed ND8 thru 64 with a UV and a CPL filters. Having to have to climb to 127 ft. to clear tree line around my property. I have found that in my Pandemic wooded Video canvas , the ND 16 has be ideal.
I did have an instance of gimbal shake before take off. By power cycling mini solved, lift off.
2020-6-6
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

Wanted to mention one other thing minimize gimble handling while placing filters, As one example I've seen felt pen marking to assist in vent/filter tang alignment what ever it takes.
2020-6-6
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

3Recon Posted at 6-6 09:12
I've been learning/improving with Skyreat's fixed ND8 thru 64 with a UV and a CPL filters. Having to have to climb to 127 ft. to clear tree line around my property. I have found that in my Pandemic wooded Video canvas , the ND 16 has be ideal.
I did have an instance of gimbal shake before take off. By power cycling mini solved, lift off.

I ordered a set of these from Amazon and they arrived today. Have not tried them out yet.
2020-6-6
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

fans392d9629 Posted at 6-6 08:33
So I just tried out my new Freewell filter today. About halfway through 2 flights I experienced gimble shake with a gimble warning. After removing the filter I had no issues each time. Any help would be welcome. BTW, I was filming while moving very slowly going with the wind the first time this occurred. I don't remember circumstances for the second time. Thanks

I bought the Freewell bright day nd pl, I hope they will be OK because I had ordered Polar Pro for my Spark and the are not useable. Too much shake and jitter. The freewell are supposed to have a gimbal compliant technology as to not impair it at all. Now you got me worried.
2020-6-6
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

Traxx119 Posted at 6-6 11:58
I ordered a set of these from Amazon and they arrived today. Have not tried them out yet.

let us know what you think, I have some ND16 footage I need to put together, enjoy
2020-6-6
Use props
ThalisGr
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tim UK Posted at 3-22 16:00
Just found this on YouTube and it has made me think again about filters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgdmhrQ8NKU

This is an old video, when Mini didn't have manual settings for video shotting. Stewart has posted another video in this matter lately :-)
I think the most expensive and good filters for Mini are the freewell. I have the skyreat myself and so far have no problems (filters weight less than 1grm). In photo mode and 4:3 option there is vignette in the bottom corners...other than this the filters do good job so far and without any problem for the gimbal.

2020-6-7
Use props
Traxx119
lvl.4
Canada

I tried one of my new Skyreat ND filters today. It was very bright and sunny, so i decided to use the ND32. It worked very well, i didn't notice any gimbal shake, warnings or anything weird. Seems like a decent set, happy with them so far.
2020-6-7
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve enjoyed using the Skyreat lenses.  I use them on the mini, air 2 and pocket.  My go to brand, mainly because of value for money.  I've had other brands, and pod more, but these a spot on. Also, their customer service is brilliant.  https://www.skyreat.com/product/ ... i-mavic-mini-drone/.
Highly recommended.
2020-6-7
Use props
djiuser_mMgRUgOwFqwK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18698 ft
Canada

I ordered for myself a 4pack from sunnylife..I am expecting them tomorrow.. within the next days, after I will test them out, I’ll give my opinion also!
cheers Z
2020-6-7
Use props
sv3n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35833 ft
Germany

Daniella3d Posted at 6-6 15:50
I bought the Freewell bright day nd pl, I hope they will be OK because I had ordered Polar Pro for my Spark and the are not useable. Too much shake and jitter. The freewell are supposed to have a gimbal compliant technology as to not impair it at all. Now you got me worried.

I bought recently the bright day, normal day and long exposure set from Freewell, tested not all of them until now, but I had mixed results of usability. As in some flights the gimbal had no issue, in others I heard a noise, in some it was shaking (sometimes even with the same filter, which seems a bit weird to me).
2020-6-7
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

sv3n Posted at 6-7 23:45
I bought recently the bright day, normal day and long exposure set from Freewell, tested not all of them until now, but I had mixed results of usability. As in some flights the gimbal had no issue, in others I heard a noise, in some it was shaking (sometimes even with the same filter, which seems a bit weird to me).

Could it be because if the wind? different wind direction, and stenght, different results?
2020-6-8
Use props
sv3n
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35833 ft
Germany

Daniella3d Posted at 6-8 14:47
Could it be because if the wind? different wind direction, and stenght, different results?

Interesting idea, next time I´ll try to keep in mind this and have an eye on it, if it changes with the wind direction. Yesterday evening when the gimbal was shaking, I turned the MM off and on again - no problems anymore. There was a bit wind, I´m not sure if I held the drone in the wind while turning on.
2020-6-9
Use props
Frank Alonso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

OK - I purchased the Skyreat ND Filters Set for DJI Mavic Mini/Mini 6 Pack.  I will be posting my thoughts next week.  Fortunately I can return them through Amazon if I am dissatisfied.   
2021-6-4
Use props
Frank Alonso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

Frank Alonso Posted at 6-4 12:17
OK - I purchased the Skyreat ND Filters Set for DJI Mavic Mini/Mini 6 Pack.  I will be posting my thoughts next week.  Fortunately I can return them through Amazon if I am dissatisfied.

Well - I am sending them back.  The fit was spot on.   However, I did about 1/2 dozen test flights with the ND filter installed.    What I noticed is that when I yawed the camera would tend to jerk or snap into place.  

I am going to do a bit of research and see what the weight of these are in comparison to the Freewells etc.    Maybe I will try out a different brand.
2021-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules