Temp Related to Video Lag
3076 13 2015-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dmurph24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 567293 ft
United States

By solved, I mean I found out what exactly was causing the video lag. I saw in some other posts that the video would be fine for 5-7 minutes and then start lagging behind. I was experiencing the same thing. One day I messed with all the variables while this was happening, i.e. changing the battery, doing a power cycle, changing the location, and none of this solved it. Then I took the bird and controller inside and tried it, still nothing. I left it on for about 3 minutes and BOOM, the lag went away! After further review and some chats with tech support, I found out that the device I was using (ipad mini 2) was actually overheating because it was so hot outside. According to DJI, since the device was overheating it was unable to decode the video transmission at full speed. I tested this again by going outside and flew around the bird and when the device became hot to the touch, the lag started again. I asked DJI if there was any way to solve this, and they said that changing the "Enable Hardware Decode" setting would increase the quality. I have not tried this out yet.
I've seen many people complain about the lag more often now, thinking that its the firmware update, but what if its just because the warm weather is arriving? Just a thought... let me know what you guys think.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, many users don't seem to realize there were many other factors at play other than just their firmware upgrade...these include warmer weather, android bloatware, more time spent with the machine (you often don't notice things the first couple of flight), buildup of video and other caches, etc.

2015-6-14
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

I did not see any warnings on the package saying DO NOT OPERATE IN WARM TEMP or ABOVE 80 degrees Fahrenheit, nor it said that it will operate better on IOS than android.

The product is not ready for consumers and we should all get a refund and when they are ready to deploy the product then we will be happy to buy it when it works.

Have you ever went to buy a TV and then when there is no air conditioning in the house the picture starts to stutter and you try to return it they tell you oh you can't because it is warm weather now so it might do that ?

The fact is there is a THERMAL PROBLEM in the design of the phantom 3 which no firmware update will solve it, and this is a serious problem that will affect EVERYONE very soon and will ristrict the operation of it, the inspire 1 has more heat venting locations not like the phantom where the controller and the battery are close to each other, and the battery gets hot and heats its surroundings which is the controller and the ESC's are on the the same board so heat radiates all over with little help of cooling it down, the gimbal controller gets really really hot to around 100F plus i am not sure where the light bridge transmitter is and that is another source of high heat.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-15 03:17
I did not see any warnings on the package saying DO NOT OPERATE IN WARM TEMP or ABOVE 80 degrees Fah ...

If aircraft and TV's were in any way related, you would have a point.

But even a $1000 high-RAM Iphone 6 Plus will shut off in heat.

All aircraft have criteria they operate under. Yes, your 100 million dollar airbus may have a problem taking off when it's over 130 degrees in Phoenix. A boeing 737 cannot land or take off over 8,000 ft altitude (but your P3 can).

If you purchased in the last month or so check your cc terms and/or paypal terms. Chances are you can return your unit if you wish.

Is that what you want to do?
2015-6-14
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-15 03:25
If aircraft and TV's were in any way related, you would have a point.

But even a $1000 high-RAM I ...

I WANT to keep the phantom as i am getting killer video and kick ass photos with it.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-15 03:28
I WANT to keep the phantom as i am getting killer video and kick ass photos with it.

Ah, so you would complain then if they insisted on taking them all back - yours included.....
2015-6-14
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-15 03:29
Ah, so you would complain then if they insisted on taking them all back - yours included.....

I would be happy if they took it back, that means i know i will get something better back and it would be flawless.

Its not a parrot AR drone (which since day one did not have wifi video feed problems even it was an arduino board) that if crashed it would be easy to recover the damage, we are talking about an over heating issue that could creep up on the main controller and shut it down causing a fall from the sky at any moment as the video stutter is just the begining of thermal slowdown of the phantom to a screaching HALT.
AT this moment i personally tested the thermal limit which i advice others not to fly above 82 F outside temperture with only IOS devices which have an A7 chip or above, otherwise you are just asking for a crash or a sudden fall from the sky with a failed overheating battery.
2015-6-14
Use props
alessio.pac
lvl.2
Italy

Please, could you change the subject title? something like IOS temp and LAG or similar. Unfortunately Android users have serious lag, and it's not due to temp.
Thank you
2015-6-14
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

alessio.pac@gma Posted at 2015-6-15 03:48
Please, could you change the subject title? something like IOS temp and LAG or similar. Unfortunatel ...

Well, this time of year in Florida it seldom gets below 82 - mostly either indoors or when it's dark outside!

And - what makes you convinced it's NOT heat that's causing lag problems with Android devices?
2015-6-14
Use props
Dmurph24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 567293 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-15 06:35
Well, this time of year in Florida it seldom gets below 82 - mostly either indoors or when it's da ...

That was my thought as well. Android devices can overheat too...
2015-6-14
Use props
jadebox
New

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-15 06:35
Well, this time of year in Florida it seldom gets below 82 - mostly either indoors or when it's da ...

Temperature doesn't seem to be a factor with my Android tablet (a Samsung Tab S).  
The app works well at the start of a flight,  then gets worse throughout the flight - usually resulting in a crash near the end of the flight.  Occasionally when it crashes, it will restart itself and run fine.  The problems always start at about the same time and progress at about the same rate regardless of whether or not the tablet was running or was in the heat before the flight.  I actually tried cooling my tablet down in an electric cooler between flights on Saturday to see if it had an effect.  It didn't.

In any case, the app and Tab S tablet used to work well with the Inspire - and, I think with the P3  - so even if heat is a problem, if is not the main problem.  I am going to try an earlier version of Android on my tablet since a few people have reported that it works better.

-- Roger
2015-6-15
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

what are you using?
Android or iOS?

And where do you find the "enable hardware decode?

I'm on Samsung Tab S 8.4 and I have the same problems as the fly progresses.
2015-7-3
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Yep, figured that one out awhile ago. Here is what I did to fix it.  I have flown 4 batteries back to back with the OAT as high as 105°F no lag and the iPad did not exceed 75°F.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-22240-1-1.html

-Dog
2015-7-3
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

GALAXY LOLIPOP IS RENOWNED FOR OVERHEATING TENDANCIES COULD THIS BE A FACTOR
2015-8-3
Use props
Advanced