Compare "raw" video with the ND/PL
743 13 2020-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

Hi, I made a simple and short video comparison. I want to show you the difference between the original video footage and footage with the ND/PL filter. Maybe someone will find it interesting. The filter I used is Sunnylife ND16 / PL from Aliexpress.

2020-4-10
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

Thanks for sharing
2020-4-10
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

I prefere without.
2020-4-10
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

thank you for sharing, nice to be able to compare
2020-4-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice comparison.  Thanks so much for sharing.
2020-4-10
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Lithuania

In most cases I prefer to use a filter. Image is more vivid and has more contrast.
2020-4-10
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Nice looks better in my opinion, did you have subtitles enable to see what shutter speed you had?
2020-4-10
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Thanks for comparison. It shows imho that without filter it is clearly much better. With filter washed out and too much green / not enough red.
2020-4-10
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I prefer the left, without filter. It's much better!!
2020-4-10
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Lithuania

jonny007 Posted at 4-10 10:46
Thanks for comparison. It shows imho that without filter it is clearly much better. With filter washed out and too much green / not enough red.

Yes, video with a filter is a little bit greenish. The second clips looks washed out because drone is flying near the ground and ND filter do its job. It reduces the shutter speed, so the ground looks blurry. I’m not really saying that it’s always better with a filter. There are situations where it helps, there are some when not...
2020-4-10
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Lithuania

TDZHDTV Posted at 4-10 10:46
Nice looks better in my opinion, did you have subtitles enable to see what shutter speed you had?

Yes I have. The shutter speed in first clip (with ND) is 148, in the second 75. Video is recorded in 1080p60 so the shutter speed is not very correct, but what can I do
2020-4-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nice comparison video, thanks for sharing.
2020-4-10
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

In the first shots, was that greenish look of the ground real? Or was it a side effect of the PL?

As far as the “ND” part of the filter goes, I really like how the ground looks in the last few seconds of your video. The one without filter is “stuttery” while the one with the filter looks a lot more natural, blurred and smooth.
2020-4-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I don't see much difference.
In fact, the ND filter is only useful for lowering the shutterspeed and that is only needed for faster motion.
PL filters might have some effect, but only when they are in the exact direction relative to that of the sun is hitting the lens.
So if you are a bit off , that effect is minimal.
The problem with drones is that they tend to move, so the angle of the sun hitting the glass will change between shots (while you can't change the orientation of the PL filter).
That is my 'issue' with these filters (and why I seldomly use them).
You should fly back between shots and change the ND density if you have different lighting situations to get a good shutterspeed (for example when you include more of the bright sky in your frame)
And with PL filters it is sort of a guess.
When you move the gimbal up or down OR rotate the drone, you should actually check the PL filter to make sure it is in the correct position (which you can't  because the drone is in the sky).
2020-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules