Taking DJI Phantom abroad
1819 7 2015-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bilal.khan
New

United Kingdom

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so be gentle ;-)

I am going to Turkey later this year and would love to take my drone abroad.

On the forums, a few people have said they have taken it on flights as hand luggage and just said this is a "toy" if anyone asks.

This is fine, but I do not want to lose my drone if I get someone awkward on my flight. So, wanted to get official confirmation from them that it is ok.

So, I called Thomson Airways and asked if there are any issues. They said you cannot take it into the cabin. I am trying to speak to them ( but not getting much response) about more detail.

Anyone sent (checked-in) their drone/remote controls woth the rest of their luggage? Seems more dangerous to me, especially as I cannot remove the batteries of the remote.

Or is it always best to take it in as hand luggage?

Thanks,

2015-6-15
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i've done two international trips and several in the US.  I always check one drone and put one drone in my hand luggage on American Airlines.  Here's what I know:

1. pack all batteries in carry on luggage
2. TSA loves to play with drones and show them to everyone
3. They swab batteries which is fine.  I want a safe flight.
4. There is no real purpose to have the drone in the plane unless you have to have it as soon as you land.  My drone rides in a GPC backpack which is then placed inside a larger suitcase for protection.
2015-6-18
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

Just finished a trip to the Dominican Republic.  As per TSA guidelines, any batteries you carry should be discharged.  I then wrapped each in a plastic bag so that no cross over stuff would happen.  Put it all in the Drone Suite case which has the foam all inside.  At the luggage scanner, I just said what it was.  They scanned it and let me go. Both in  Virginia and DR.  All carryon. Batteries are not allowed in the cargo hold. Could explore from pressure.
2015-6-18
Use props
3zoozq8i
lvl.2
Kuwait

Well I just carry my drone with me and I didn't have any problems. But, if you want to check it in its really up to you (Id rather to carry it on), batteries are not allowed, which basically means that you will have to carry them with you.
2015-6-18
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Carry-on battery and phantom in backpack that will fit in the overhead.
Pack screw drivers/tools into your check-in luggage as sharp tools are forbidden in carry-on.
If you have waterproof hard cases and checking as luggage, make sure you release the air valves. This prevents the case from expanding/collapsing from pressure changes which can ultimately crush the phantom.
Research the country you taking it to and see if they have laws and restrictions. Apply in advance if you have to.
Compass calibrate in open field as the X-ray machines may cause errors in the compass (yet proven, but best to compass dance in new country to realign the magnetic declination).

2015-6-18
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

and get to the airport early just in case.
2015-6-19
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

You need to be careful about taking electronics into Turkey. I have been there several times throughout my years in the Air Force. I would check with the consulate before you take it. Before going over there we had to provide a list of equipment we were bringing several weeks in advance. Then once we got there it was a few days later before they would release it. It may be different now, that was several years ago. But again, it may be worse. Of all the countries I visited in Europe and Eastern Asia, Turkey was one of the hardest get in and out of. The people are nice and the food is good but their government does not mess around. We had some equipment one time that was not on the list that was provided and it did not get returned to us for several months. Again, things may be better there but they may be worse. I would double and triple check before you take your Phantom.
2015-6-19
Use props
bilal.khan
New

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been trying to get into touch with various organisation in Turkey and UK. There is not much consistency in the information they provide.

I'll certainly update this post with my plan and outcome. I think backpack and sending it into the cargo hold seems the best approach. I will hold onto the batteries and controllers.

I was just a bit apprehensive that they might think its odd that I have controllers but the thing it controls is not with me. I don't want people to be alarmed by that. I cannot take the battery out of the controller as I think the battery is fixed into it.
2015-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules