Do I need to discharge the remote battery for storage?
4019 13 2020-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am unable to fly for some time with the virus lockdown. I have dishcarged my mini batteries to 50% but should I also discharge the remote battery to two lights also for storage?
2020-4-14
Use props
djiuser_oT8gef3LdqYh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 742320 ft
Poland

I also ask for an answer. Do I need to discharge the main batteries up to 50% or how to store them longer. How to put batteries in sleep mode?
2020-4-14
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_oT8gef3LdqYh Posted at 4-14 14:57
I also ask for an answer. Do I need to discharge the main batteries up to 50% or how to store them longer. How to put batteries in sleep mode?

They recommend discharging the drone batteries 40-60% if storing for over 10 days. I'm just not sure about the remote battery.
2020-4-14
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_oT8gef3LdqYh Posted at 4-14 14:57

Waiting for a reply for sure. Thought about this before.
2020-4-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mavic Mini does not have the self discharge.
It is best to store at around 50% if you plan on not using it for a longer (10+ days) time.
That is at least how the Mavic Pro is set by default.

I read others use the batteries as power banks to get to that point.
2020-4-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Here is a thread about it.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-205304-1-1.html
2020-4-14
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 4-14 23:44
Mavic Mini does not have the self discharge.
It is best to store at around 50% if you plan on not using it for a longer (10+ days) time.
That is at least how the Mavic Pro is set by default.

Did you read the topic properly? I'm talking about the remote control battery.

It's very hard to discharge too. I tried last night, once it turns on after a few mins it starts beeping really loud. So mine is on 4 lights in storage while we have these lockdowns. I want to know if that is ok for the remote control battery health.
2020-4-15
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

I don't know what type of battery is in the RC, so I cannot really answer your question. But even assuming it's Lithium-based and it would benefit from being stored at ~50% charge, I would not worry about it, for 3 reasons:
1. discharging the RC takes forever (much less if you have an Android device) and it's impractical
2. if the RC battery loses some capacity over time is not the end of the world (unless you often go through multiple flight batteries back-to-back, and you really need the RC to last that long on one charge)
3. replacement batteries are starting to show up (Bangood sells one for $15 plus shipping) and replacing it seems very simple.
2020-4-15
Use props
djiuser_5hoSuY0HZd5R
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2043392 ft
Australia

I would say that you should discharge the remote controller. One way is to connect to an Android phone, turn on remote, run a power hungry game or app to drain phone/remote.
2020-4-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

deathsquad Posted at 4-15 13:42
Did you read the topic properly? I'm talking about the remote control battery.

It's very hard to discharge too. I tried last night, once it turns on after a few mins it starts beeping really loud. So mine is on 4 lights in storage while we have these lockdowns. I want to know if that is ok for the remote control battery health.

Ah, now I see.
Remote battery.
I mistakenly assumed that was 'spare' battery.
Sorry for that.  
I don't believe my MP has a remote discharge function (at least not that I am aware off).
2020-4-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

It is recommend to refer to the maintenance guideline of Intelligent battery to maintain the RC. If the battery will not be used to more than 10 days, it is recommended to discharge it manually until the battery level is between 39% and 74%. At least fully charge the RC once every three months.
2020-4-16
Use props
siowxsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1952359 ft
Malaysia

yes, To prolong to battery life, it recommend to discharging the drone batteries  (lithium battery) to 40-50% for long period storage. Same to remote control also.
2020-4-16
Use props
raulvolador
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4771427 ft
Spain

I do it.

In fact, I USE remote contoller with batteries at storage voltage level. It allows me up to two entire flights.

After flight I recharge remote batteries only up to 50% (two first leds on, third blinking) and keep them stored that way.

That way, next flight day I has no need to recharge controller.

R.
2020-4-16
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Also LiPo ? ALSO ? Why also ? The batteries for the mini aren't ALSO LiPo. And store it with 50%, then every 3 month full charge and immediately discharge to 50 % again ? Too complicated for me ;-)
2020-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules