Crashed Mini, Now What?
4732 26 2020-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_VmB3jUbsvfkD
lvl.1
United States

Hello All,
New to the forum! I need your help! So quick back story. I was gifted this drone for my birthday in February by my fiancee. I have been flying it occasionally and loved how awesome this little drone was for the money. Yesterday I decided to fly the drone again during these quarantined times. It was somewhat windy at the time but decided, hey why not fly low and in between our complex just to get some drone time. Well sure enough as I was flying, there was a wind tunnel vortex and either the wind caught hold of my drone or my own drifting error, the drone crashed. I tried recovering the drone as you can see from the video,  but to no avail he went down. So now the question is, I have warranty and will exchange the drone for a new one. Is there anything I have to do to unlink or unregister the drone for the new one? Or do i get the new one pair as normal, and everything transfers over? Thanks for the help!

Here is the sad video of the crash! I will be posting an follow up video soon. Subscribe!

2020-4-21
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

Now buy another one
2020-4-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That didn’t look like wind, that was interference.
You could just put it in the bin, warranty is no good for that, if you have care refresh then just contact dji and arrange to ship back, if the drone is repairable they will most likely replace, no need to worry about registration that’s tagged to your app not drone.
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Raindizzle
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-21 08:05
That didn’t look like wind, that was interference.
You could just put it in the bin, warranty is no good for that, if you have care refresh then just contact dji and arrange to ship back, if the drone is repairable they will most likely replace, no need to worry about registration that’s tagged to your app not drone.

Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately, stupid of me, I didn't opt for the refresh when I got this drone as a present. Would I still be able to even if I'm past the number of days to get the refresh? Once I paired my drone to the app that automatically registers the drones serial right? Or do I have to manually input my serial for the refresh program? If so, that means I can still technically get refresh right? Thanks! Still fairly new to drones and DJI in general.
2020-4-21
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Another crash and another mini that takes off after crashing, from rocks to walls the mini should fall when crashed and not take off for the hills.

DJI At least give us the option to decide what the drone should do when involved in a crash.
2020-4-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Raindizzle Posted at 4-21 08:18
Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately, stupid of me, I didn't opt for the refresh when I got this drone as a present. Would I still be able to even if I'm past the number of days to get the refresh? Once I paired my drone to the app that automatically registers the drones serial right? Or do I have to manually input my serial for the refresh program? If so, that means I can still technically get refresh right? Thanks! Still fairly new to drones and DJI in general.

as the dji refresh is a kind of insurance policy to protect the drone from accidental damage I very much doubt you will be able to buy it retroactively
2020-4-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Raindizzle Posted at 4-21 08:18
Thanks for the fast response! Unfortunately, stupid of me, I didn't opt for the refresh when I got this drone as a present. Would I still be able to even if I'm past the number of days to get the refresh? Once I paired my drone to the app that automatically registers the drones serial right? Or do I have to manually input my serial for the refresh program? If so, that means I can still technically get refresh right? Thanks! Still fairly new to drones and DJI in general.

I’m afraid getting care refresh is a bit more difficult than that, if you don’t purchase within 48hrs you must submit application which requires video showing drone working and flying as it should along with general condition of the drone.

I think your best and really only compensation is to raise a case with dji , they will almost certainly find pilot error, but it’s usual for them to offer discount off a new craft only of between 15/30% so you won’t have to buy remote control, other than that get a price for repair.
2020-4-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch
2020-4-21
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's what I call a 'SAVAGE' crash. Wow straight for the jugular ! Use the warranty to pick up a new one and get to a wide-open football field instead of that narrow area where is crashed.
2020-4-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for you loss.  How was your GPS status looking just prior to the crash?
2020-4-21
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

I'd put on a bet that you didn't have enough satellites and too much interference in that narrow lane
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Raindizzle
lvl.1
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 4-21 11:59
That's what I call a 'SAVAGE' crash. Wow straight for the jugular ! Use the warranty to pick up a new one and get to an wide-open football field instead of that narrow area where is crashed.

Definitely will do! Yeah seriously kicking myself for this.
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Raindizzle
lvl.1
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 4-21 12:01
Sorry for you loss.  How was your GPS status looking just prior to the crash?

Looking at my flight pattern and reviewing the gps signal strength, it was at 18 and just prior to the crash went down to 8.
2020-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-21 08:24
Another crash and another mini that takes off after crashing, from rocks to walls the mini should fall when crashed and not take off for the hills.

DJI At least give us the option to decide what the drone should do when involved in a crash.

"DJI At least give us the option to decide what the drone should do when involved in a crash."

And how does the aircraft know it has been involved in a crash?
2020-4-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Raindizzle Posted at 4-21 13:12
Looking at my flight pattern and reviewing the gps signal strength, it was at 18 and just prior to the crash went down to 8.

And those 8 might not have had enough spacing deviation for a good constant position fix due to the building on both sides possibly interfering with the GPS signals.
2020-4-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-21 13:31
"DJI At least give us the option to decide what the drone should do when involved in a crash."

And how does the aircraft know it has been involved in a crash?

I would expect at least one "blocked motor" warning.
2020-4-21
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Ehmmm.......... CSC?
2020-4-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Yes... definitely should fall into the ocean should it be attacked by a seagull (very likely possibility if there are in the proximity).

There's already a function for that, it's the Emergency propellers stop. It can be triggered when the drone is out of control and trying to recover itself... but I guess that only works for those that read the user manual.
By the way judging by the pictures that wasn't wind or some alien interference, just poor GPS guidance since the AC had only a very small and elongated patch of sky above its head. Poor GPS guidance with late/no/wrong-response from OP which was expecting the drone to continue straight on.

By the way... this could have a been one of those occasions where the GPS PositionNoMatch could have shown in the logs.

One cannot obtain Care Refresh after the drone has already been activated.

2020-4-21
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

m80116 Posted at 4-21 15:16
Yes... definitely should fall into the ocean should it be attacked by a seagull (very likely possibility if there are in the proximity).

There's already a function for that, it's the Emergency propellers stop. It can be triggered when the drone is out of control and trying to recover itself... but I guess that only works for those that read the user manual.

You can obtain the DJI Care Refresh for an already activated Mini. I did it and my drone is 6 month old.
You just need to send to DJI a video following some procedures. If approved the Care Refresh can be activated.
2020-4-21
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

amferreira Posted at 4-21 15:34
You can obtain the DJI Care Refresh for an already activated Mini. I did it and my drone is 6 month old.
You just need to send to DJI a video following some procedures. If approved the Care Refresh can be activated.

You can do this even after you have crashed it and wrecked it?
2020-4-21
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I had no idea becuase since coming here I've become accustomed to everything being true and the contrary of it being still true.Apparently DJI Italy withdrew the Care Refresh policy page but here's what my MM Fly More box says...

Look for the bottom notice: Unactivated or activated within 48 hours.
15875125724420.jpg
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Raindizzle
lvl.1
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-21 15:16

There's already a function for that, it's the Emergency propellers stop. It can be triggered when the drone is out of control and trying to recover itself... but I guess that only works for those that read the user manual.

Thanks for the info. As far as reading the manual, I am one of those that do read manuals still lol. Using the emergency propeller stop was what actually helped me stop the drone when I wasn't able to control it any longer. Also using the find my drone and using the maps is what helped me find my drone. At least I still have the drone in my posession.
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Raindizzle
lvl.1
United States

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll have to give DJI a call.
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Raindizzle
lvl.1
United States

Well anywho even without refresh or not. I was able to go to best buy to see if I can get a replacement since my fiancee did buy the warranty for it. Unfortunately in order to use the warranty I would have to go through best buy's geek squad. Due to what is going on right now with covid19 I can not go through geek squad at this time and will have to wait until the store opens up again to the public per best buy sales associate. As of now I guess I'm screwed and will have to wait.
2020-4-21
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-21 15:47
I had no idea becuase since coming here I've become accustomed to everything being true and the contrary of it being still true.Apparently DJI Italy withdrew the Care Refresh policy page but here's what my MM Fly More box says...

Look for the bottom notice: Unactivated or activated within 48 hours.

They do offer the option to buy Care Refresh after 48 hours, but, you have to prove that the product is in good condition.

https://repair.dji.com/en/djicare/customerupload

You can't wreck it and then buy it. But, I am sure DJI will give a discount (15% probably) on buying just the drone without remote and batteries.

The day I bought my drone, I just by chance saw something about Care Refresh and bought it immediately, before I even flew. They should advertise it more (although it is plainly visible on their site).

2020-4-21
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

DJI Raindizzle Posted at 4-21 16:00
Well anywho even without refresh or not. I was able to go to best buy to see if I can get a replacement since my fiancee did buy the warranty for it. Unfortunately in order to use the warranty I would have to go through best buy's geek squad. Due to what is going on right now with covid19 I can not go through geek squad at this time and will have to wait until the store opens up again to the public per best buy sales associate. As of now I guess I'm screwed and will have to wait.

Oh, that is great, I mean that she bought the warranty. At least you are covered. I would think you could send them a picture. That sucks you can't get this resolved quickly, especially after buying a warranty!
2020-4-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry about the accident. Please kindly contact our support at the link below to open a case and send the drone in, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause if the drone is under warranty. And we will provide you with the corresponding offer based on the analysis result.
http://www.dji.com/support
Please be advised that due to COVID-19 prevention and traffic controls, product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed.
2020-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules