Any FPV quad owners?
1407 5 2020-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bezik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 420646 ft
United Kingdom

After buying my mini last month ive been getting more interested in the FPV drone world, I recently purchased the Jumper T16 RC as my first purchase and have been putting in practice daily on velocidrone. Just wondering if any FPV pilots on here might be able to give me some advice on which drone and goggles would be a good start, so far im looking at the FatShark Scout goggles or possibly pushing the boat out and getting the DJI digi goggles?? as for the drone im unsure and would appreciate any advice.
2020-4-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

To start out with the eachine goggles are really good and are a lot cheaper.
As for the drone, it depends on what your looking to get out of it. I use the
Goggles Re's now but tried fat shark and others. I mostly fly micro racers, but
fly larger racers when flying with friends. Also that jumper T16 is awesome.
Are you looking long range or something to get your feet wet?
2020-4-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 4-21 10:42
To start out with the eachine goggles are really good and are a lot cheaper.
As for the drone, it depends on what your looking to get out of it. I use the
Goggles Re's now but tried fat shark and others. I mostly fly micro racers, but

Ive been looking at the new tinyhawk 2 race as a starter micro, but im also considering jumping straight into the deep end with a 5" rtf or diy, i did a bit of research and the new hall sensor t16 pro seemed like a good place to start my journey with the possibility of maybe adding the tbs crossfire unit in the future. I grabbed a copy of DRL, velocidrone and liftoff, ive found velocidrone has been amazing at slowly gaining some flying skills (im hoping its at least close to the real thing??) I spent a few days using angle mode on the micros and now im using rate mode and finally moving onto the 5" quads and getting used to the inertia and how to handle it.
Im not so bothered about massive range at first but was maybe looking at a rtf with gps built in and maybe something with crossfire just to future proof? I always have the attitude that id rather spend a bit more out the gate to get something that has some longevity rather than buy cheaper stuff that needs upgrading quickly. have you used the tinyhawks? ive watched a lot of really glowing reviews over the last few months but would love to hear your input on the bigger quads too as there seems so much choice and no real winners that are jumping out watching the recent reviews.
2020-4-21
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Get something decent like Fatshark goggles. If you get cheapies you will end up having to upgrade anyway and like most things you get what you pay for. You also need to know a fair bit about the quads. They crash a lot and you need to be able to repair them. A lot of fpv guys I know make their own builds and drones they fly have parts from old and new. They aren't overly complicated but unlike DJI drones where you buy it and fly it without any issues (for the most part) the fpv quads crash quite often so you are better off getting something you can actually replace parts for. As someone above mentioned, eachine make some good cheap entry level fpv quads if you just want to get right into it. Fatshark also have a beginner bundle which is entry level goggles, drone and rc. Some things like tinyhawk are good but be aware some don't have any recording (if you want to record footage) so just look into it before you commit. Maybe start with some small bundle to get used to flying them and see if it's for you before committing to more expensive goggles, rc and drone.
Also, be aware of local laws regarding fpv. I know here in Australia it is basically illegal to fly fpv. You can fly with a spotter (i've been told) but the air laws here say you have to be within line of sight and looking at your drone and because you aren't looking at the drone rather through goggles it falls into this grey area legally. I don't know about the UK laws but look them up.

2020-4-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

deathsquad Posted at 4-21 13:37
Get something decent like Fatshark goggles. If you get cheapies you will end up having to upgrade anyway and like most things you get what you pay for. You also need to know a fair bit about the quads. They crash a lot and you need to be able to repair them. A lot of fpv guys I know make their own builds and drones they fly have parts from old and new. They aren't overly complicated but unlike DJI drones where you buy it and fly it without any issues (for the most part) the fpv quads crash quite often so you are better off getting something you can actually replace parts for. As someone above mentioned, eachine make some good cheap entry level fpv quads if you just want to get right into it. Fatshark also have a beginner bundle which is entry level goggles, drone and rc. Some things like tinyhawk are good but be aware some don't have any recording (if you want to record footage) so just look into it before you commit. Maybe start with some small bundle to get used to flying them and see if it's for you before committing to more expensive goggles, rc and drone.

yeah the fatshark scout is top of my list for goggles at the moment, i have a weak right eye so im a bit cautious about getting the double lens style and think the big single screen in the scout will work best. Im pretty confident with electronics and soldering so the diy side of the hobby kinda interests me too, as ive already got the t16 pro and will probably go for the scout goggles (unless i can maybe try the other style before buying to see how they work with my eyes) my main dilemma is the quad. The tinyhawk 2 has been high on the list of starter drones but like you mentioned not having a camera mount or HD recording is an issue that might need upgrading quickly so im wondering if the £90 might be better spent on parts for a 5", any good frames and ESCs/Flight controllers you or your friends rate? 4s/6s? with the bigger quads theres so much choice its hard to know which route to take

IMG_20200421_224954.jpg
2020-4-21
Use props
Bezik
lvl.4
United Kingdom

bought the dji FPV system and a kopis 2 HDV
2020-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now