Help on Motor issue
899 11 2020-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AC11
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello, reaching out for help wherever I can get it.

So I have just put in a new holybro kahute f7 hdv into my dji banggod build. I have everything pinned correct and everything seemed to be working fine. I went out to fly and as soon as I armed (I don't even have to raise the throttle) my quad freaked out and flipped. I have been through all the common problems I can think of so far:

- Firstly the props are on the right way
- The FC is facing the correct way and has been calibrated
- The FC has the right firmware on it
- The motors are wired correctly and individually fire up correctly with no issues on betaflight  
- I have correct size nuts attaching motors, so nothing is sticking out that could be catching the  motors
- I have checked the motors are turning in the right direction and they are
- I have checked the endpoints on the receiver which are how they should be

But as you will see on the attached video, when I arm, it seems the motors are stuttering, and when it shows in betaflight, the motors seem to jump up for a split second, then back down again. Could this be vibration affecting the giro, I am using rubber mounts, so I would be surprised?

VIDEO: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ot2gjAwjo3mhLxji0scmpECDw2jWW9VX

Would really appreciate all the help I can get, Its the only thing stopping me from flying right now

Thanks

Arthur

2020-4-22
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Is the ESC facing the right way?  I had to switch the motors around using resources on my kakutef7 HDV so my XT60 was on the left side like I wanted.
2020-4-22
Use props
AC11
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mc54 Posted at 4-22 19:12
Is the ESC facing the right way?  I had to switch the motors around using resources on my kakutef7 HDV so my XT60 was on the left side like I wanted.

My FC is facing the right way and all my motors are wired up right to the right pads on the esc, and are spinning up as they should when I move each slider individually in the motors tab in betaflight.
2020-4-22
Use props
ZhaLinth
lvl.2

Germany

It surely looks like your quad is trying to correct its position.
The most likely reason is the gyro, the mounting doesn't matter much because the gyros nowadays are super sensitive. just look at the gyro graph in the motor tab, even when nothing is happening you should see it twitch.  That's why we need filtering.
Possibilities:
1. The gyro is faulty/busted: you'll need a new FC.
Hopefully:
2. There is something wrong with your filtering, up all your filter settings to the max an see if it fixes the problem, your quad will fly like ... but at least you can work from there by incrementally lowering your filtering.
3. really not sure about this one. But it could be small voltage spikes affecting the gyro, from what I heard it's a somewhat common problem on 6S.
Do you have a cap soldered on? If not you could try that or go with 4S and see if the problem persists.
2020-4-23
Use props
AC11
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ZhaLinth Posted at 4-23 03:15
It surely looks like your quad is trying to correct its position.
The most likely reason is the gyro, the mounting doesn't matter much because the gyros nowadays are super sensitive. just look at the gyro graph in the motor tab, even when nothing is happening you should see it twitch.  That's why we need filtering.
Possibilities:

Yeah I think its mostly likely trying to correct itself, which I thought calibrating the FC would sort, but it didn't

I can try change all the filters, its not my strongest point, so which ones am I looking to put on max exactly?

Its a new FC so hopefully I don't have to buy a new one, but if all else fails...
2020-4-23
Use props
ZhaLinth
lvl.2

Germany

OK I put a bit of thought into it.
First lets see what your gyro puts out:
Connect to betaflight go to your motors tab, top right is a drop down menu for the graph, select Gyro, put your quad on table close to your PC/laptop (this will put a bit of noise into the gyro, that's what I'm doing now and maybe we can compare our gyro output this way). Now click reset. Wait for a bit, and read the numbers in the brackets, that is the maximum amount of movement/noise received.
Mine are around five on all axis with a bit of knocking on the table I get around ten. If you are close or below you should be good on the FC front.

As for the filtering:
Go to the betaflight PID tuning tab, select "filter settings" you should see two sliders, move them both to the left, save an repeat your arming experiment.

2020-4-23
Use props
mc54
Second Officer

United States

Have you updated to the latest Blheli firmware?
2020-4-23
Use props
AC11
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Cheers guys, I'll check these things when I'm next off work and I'll let you know what happens
2020-4-23
Use props
mc54
Second Officer

United States

Maybe try to move down to a lower version of Dshot.
2020-4-23
Use props
AC11
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi all,

So I spent the morning going over all these things:

Checked all the esc's on Blheli and all were saying good, with 0 bad
Checked the Blheli firmware which is 32.7 on all escs
Checked the filter settings on betaflight, moving them to max didn't seem to have any difference
I looked at the giro graph, sat on the bench the values were average X 6, Y 6.5, Z 2.8 after a bit of knocking on the table the figures were fairly jumpy, with Y shooting up to like 30 or down to -62

How possible is it that the fc is damaged, maybe through soldering or something?
2020-4-25
Use props
ZhaLinth
lvl.2

Germany

I'm far from a pro or anything with this kinda stuff, but
2020-4-26
Use props
ZhaLinth
lvl.2

Germany

Hit the post button by accident and couldn't edit anymore sorry.

The values seem a bit excessive, couldn't find much on how to diagnose a gyro on the bench, the closest is this inflight video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0jqi59_4Ic

At this point I'd try to replace the FC, seems to me like you've gone over every other possibility and that's whats left.
2020-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules