7524 17 2020-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans322fcc83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93120 ft
Netherlands

Hi,

Considering to buy ND filters. Whats a good brand and best value for money?

And should i get a whole set or is ND 16 and 32 enough to start?

Let me know What you think ?
2020-4-26
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Since you're asking ND and not ND-PL or PL I think you can save yourself some bucks and go for smaller ones that cover just the optic rather than the whole frontal camera plate, they should be less prone to introduce gimbal shake due to increased weight on the mount.

I still consider very useful ND 4 and 8 gradations, not necessarily aiming for the smoothest film while in overcast and dusky conditions with great contrast.
2020-4-26
Use props
fans322fcc83
lvl.3
Netherlands

Im really new to this and want good footage without to much hassle. Just an amateur and shooting holiday footage. Think the ND filters are easy to use to get the smooth Cinematic footage. When u use a ND—PL filter? And do u recommend it for amateur use?
2020-4-27
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

whichever you can get actually...i was looking into options and most are not available...i wanted freewell or skyreat, but no luck - either not available or not clear when will be delivered. The only once i could get to order were pgytech. Not to mention that price-wise is also a bit tricky, most are overprices locally, and wherever i could find them the shipping was as much as the filter price or they did not ship to my country. I wanted to check the polarized ones also, so i got cheap fixed sunnylife, to see if it is better than the rotating ones, as most i have seen in videos introduce strange effects at certain angle. Actually the best combination might be nd/pl but most are using round rotating lenses and that doesn't seem good option and apart from the effects i mentioned i saw on videos the rotating part most of the time is hit or miss...I was looking for fixed ones but the only one seemed to be the pgytech ones that were recalled due to being too heavy and causing gimbal issues, so the options are limited.
2020-4-27
Use props
jrusejrphotoart.net
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7704137 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone Valley has some.  I don’t know anything about them, but I trust Drone Valley.  I have bought numerous accessories for my Mini from them.  Solid company.  Search for them on YouTube or DroneValley.com.
I have ND filters for my DSLR and use them frequently.   So I know what NDs are and I think they would be a wise purchase.  I just haven’t gotten any for my Mini.  Just learning to use it.
2020-4-27
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Hi,

I have sunnylife ND filter package (6 filters with 4 ND (no PL), 1 PLR and 1 MCUV) which is enough to my opinion.
Full plastic (be careful when manipulating them by the way) and so very light weight. I have tested them since last update and I guess it is fair enough for my kind of use (personal video only).
I don't know what can be the difference between them and much more expensive models such as pgytech or freewell but again for my use, expensive's one do not worth it.
2020-4-27
Use props
fans322fcc83
lvl.3
Netherlands

I can purchase most brands on AliExpress like Sunnylife, Pgytech and freewell.

Which of these 2  packages below I can Best Buy? Sunnylife (6x) €22,- or Pgytech (4x) € 33,-.

Or can I better buy ND-PL filters for the mavic mini? And why? See pic 3 from Sunnylife (4x ND-PL) € 24,-

I guess the last set with ND-PL is best to buy. Or can wrong use of ND-PL filters give worse footage then just ND filters when wrong used?

Thanks for ur advice.

16943B72-BD24-46EB-ACE4-099C7449093A.png
00E83A52-52E1-4A55-BF25-52724803EB88.png
7CFFB352-3DFE-4DAC-B1A7-546F8E27C17D.png
2020-4-27
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

ND-PL are ND filters combined with a circular polarizer.

Since no polarization rotation is provided in the SunnyLife the actual polarization is scattered among ND filter gradations.

Some say polarizers just spoil the picture and make skies uneven, but I still like a polarized picture better than a normal one: the skies are darker and deeper blue, the greens reflect less scattered light and are thus more correctly exposed.
2020-4-27
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just be careful with the PGYTech ones. Some were recalled as they caused the gimbal to shake uncontrollably. Just too heavy for it.
2020-4-27
Use props
fans322fcc83
lvl.3
Netherlands

M80116 u have the Sunnylife ND-PL set with 4 filters?  Or the regular ND set with 6 filters?
2020-4-27
Use props
RivermanMM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42467 ft
Australia

Does anyone know anything about CYNOVA DJI Mavic Mini 5 Piece Filter Set (ND). I have spent some time trying to find any information good or bad about them. Our local drone store in Australia has them.
2020-4-27
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

deathsquad Posted at 4-27 13:22
Just be careful with the PGYTech ones. Some were recalled as they caused the gimbal to shake uncontrollably. Just too heavy for it.

they recalled the nd-pl and cpl sets as they were too heavy
the plain nd are good
2020-4-27
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Switzerland

fans322fcc83 Posted at 4-27 11:38
I can purchase most brands on AliExpress like Sunnylife, Pgytech and freewell.

Which of these 2  packages below I can Best Buy? Sunnylife (6x) €22,- or Pgytech (4x) € 33,-.

the sunnylife are a bit plastic-like and i think of lower quality...i personally went with pgytech, really wanted some combined nd-pl but unfortunately most are round with rotating adjustment and this introduces some reflections in image at certain angles...
2020-4-27
Use props
hugorichard8
New

Brazil

Hi,  on brands it has pgytech are very good, and on the numbers it will depend on which conditions you will use, on a clearer day use higher numbering, if less cloudy days, this obeying the motion rules of the video
2020-4-27
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Actually I was aware of the PGYTech weight problems but avoided mentioning to avoid biasing the thread, more so because I am happy user of the SunnyLife 4 ND-PL set (4, 8, 16 ,32) which are optically very good and very light. They do not rotate (but they are cheaper and lighter) and PL is staggered in my copy (4 and 16 in one orientation, 8 and 32 on the other), the only downside being the rear filter element is a bit encased and hard to clean (but PL are notoriously hard to clean).
2020-4-27
Use props
fans322fcc83
lvl.3
Netherlands

m80116 Posted at 4-27 15:39
Actually I was aware of the PGYTech weight problems but avoided mentioning to avoid biasing the thread, more so because I am happy user of the SunnyLife 4 ND-PL set (4, 8, 16 ,32) which are optically very good and very light. They do not rotate (but they are cheaper and lighter) and PL is staggered in my copy (4 and 16 in one orientation, 8 and 32 on the other), the only downside being the rear filter element is a bit encased and hard to clean (but PL are notoriously hard to clean).

Don’t you have the problem of poliarization with the fixed ND-PL filters (like Sunnylife)? I read you need to plan ur flight path with PL filters.. it that right? Then it seems a big hassle for me. Wanna be able to fly freely around without having negative effects from PL filters. See image below for more explanation.
E903FED9-9120-4396-A85D-B9C235858E2A.png
D1A6C35B-76A8-42A8-9FDD-490DB377CF9D.png
2020-4-27
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been very happy with my Freewell all day pack.  The ND8 pretty much lives on the Mini full time.  It can be left on with the gimbal protection cover in place.  
2020-4-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Tbh I don't feel much of a problem since the ND filter with the correct orientation is at most 2 f/stops away from the ideal point.  As for convenience: unless you're really going for after sunset pictures ND 4 and 8 are pretty much fine for every daylight condition. 16 and 32 for sunny days only. The trade off is minimal for the smoothness and additional dynamic range you can gain by exposing the lights in an EV range more favorable to the sensor.
2020-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules