DJI Mavic Air 2 vs DJI Mavic Mini - Which Drone Should You Buy in...
3924 20 2020-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anita_Holder
lvl.2

Germany

DJI Mavic Air 2 vs DJI Mavic Mini - Which Drone Should You Buy in 2020?
Little Comparison + POLL

DJI Mavic Air 2
DJI Mavic Mini
Price
USD $799
USD $399
Takeoff Weight
570 g
249 g
Dimensions (folded)
180×97×84 mm
140×82×57 mm
Dimensions (unfolded)
183×252×77 mm
160×202×55 mm
Max Flight Time
34 minutes
30 minutes
Gimbal
3-axis (tilt, roll, pan)
3-axis (tilt, roll, pan)
Sensor
1/2” CMOS
1/2.3” CMOS
Effective Pixels
12 MP / 48 MP
12 MP
Max Video Resolution
4K Ultra HD: 3840×2160 24/25/30/48/50/60 p
2.7 K: 2720×1530 25/30 p
Max Video Bitrate
120 Mbps
40 Mbps
Photo Format
JPEG + RAW
JPEG
Max Transmission Distance
10000 m
4000 m
Sensing System
Downward, Backward, Forward
Downward
APP Name
DJI Fly
DJI Fly

I think there are many other important criteria for a buying decision, for example tracking modes, fpv resolution or battery and design of the remote controller. What would you choose? Better transmission distance or cheaper price and lighter weight?

Single SelectVote, Total 40 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-4-27
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

There are other parameters to consider.
In Eu, weight and classification are decisive, limitations and obligations are numerous.
2020-4-28
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I  have to register then I'd prefer a Mavic 3 and Navic Mini combo.
2020-4-28
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

Since the MM radio range was limited to fit EU regulations, I guess that the MA 2 has the same exact radio range in EU ? So no plus on that side.
2020-4-28
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Renato61 Posted at 4-28 00:30
In Eu, weight and classification are decisive, limitations and obligations are numerous.

Can you explain more? I'd like to visit some eu countries next year.
2020-4-28
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429938 ft
Italy

Renato61 Posted at 4-28 00:30

Agree, as I said in another thread, CE Open markings are decisive
2020-4-28
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

philgib Posted at 4-28 02:09
Since the MM radio range was limited to fit EU regulations, I guess that the MA 2 has the same exact radio range in EU ? So no plus on that side.

The Air 2 has a 6km range in CE countries, compared to the Mini's 2km.
2020-4-28
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

Both? !  I have a Mini (and two Sparks) and MA2 on order.
And you know, I will feel much more free to use the Mini in many situations, but expect the quality of the MA2 to be worth exploring.
2020-4-28
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

It is day and night even with mavic 2 pro
2020-4-28
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Italy

him7403 Posted at 4-28 02:16
Can you explain more? I'd like to visit some eu countries next year.

With EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) rules you can fly a drone under 250g pretty everywhere, except over crowds, without the obligation to have a drone licence (respecting privacy and no-fly zones) and if the drone have an HD camera you must register it (but I don't know how it works with people coming from extra-UE countries).
For the sake of completeness, the Mini stays in A1C0 class.
Drones over 250g are divided in other weight classes that are A1C1 (drones under 900g or with less than 80J at the impact point), A2C2 (drones under 4kg), A3C3 (drones under 25kg) and A3C4 (model aircrafts).
Note that classes are valid only for the newest drones that meet the Open CE markings (which I wish the Air 2 will meet soon).
That means that if you fly a Mavic Air (remember it don't have new marking)or any other drone under 500g (Spark,ecc..) you can use it in A1C1 until July 2022, than it will be thrown in A3 class (in A3 class you can fly only far at least 150mt from city center, 50mt from uninvolved people and 120m max height).
So again,if you own an Air you can fly in the city center (A1C1), but if you own a drone >500g (Mavic Pro, Mavic 2, ecc...) you can fly in A3C3 category (because drones without CE Open marking must be <500g to be considered A1C1...
I know it's a bit complicated, try to read this tab to understand better
Or refer to this link (EASA explaining document) https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites ... ER_2018%20final.pdf
2020-4-28
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although I already own the Mavic Mini, Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro. Just put in an order for the Air 2
2020-4-28
Use props
UnlimiteDronegmail.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Canada

We did a more detailed Mavic Mini vs. Mavic Air 2 Comparison
Tell us what you think about it please
2020-4-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Luca90 Posted at 4-28 11:03
With EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) rules you can fly a drone under 250g pretty everywhere, except over crowds, without the obligation to have a drone licence (respecting privacy and no-fly zones) and if the drone have an HD camera you must register it (but I don't know how it works with people coming from extra-UE countries).
Drones over 250g are divided in other weight classes that are A1C1 (drones under 900g or with less than 80J at the impact point), A2C2 (drones under 4kg), A3C3 (drones under 25kg) and A3C4 (model aircrafts).

Hi, Luca90. Thanks for your sharing.
As the new CE standard is not released yet,  none of the drones can do the certification.  Please rest assured that Mavic Air 2 matches the new regulations.
According to the conclusion given by our legal affairs, even after the new policy is launched, the products currently on the market will have a product protection period of two years, which means Mavic Air 2 can be used as usual. Two years after the release of the new policy, our drones can continue to fly in the airspace under the old CE standard. For airspace flight under the new CE standard, the relevant government operating guidelines should be complied with.
2020-4-30
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-30 02:18
Hi, Luca90. Thanks for your sharing.
As the new CE standard is not released yet,  none of the drones can do the certification.  Please rest assured that Mavic Air 2 matches the new regulations.
According to the conclusion given by our legal affairs, even after the new policy is launched, the products currently on the market will have a product protection period of two years, which means Mavic Air 2 can be used as usual. Two years after the release of the new policy, our drones can continue to fly in the airspace under the old CE standard. For airspace flight under the new CE standard, the relevant government operating guidelines should be complied with.

Thanks for the clarification Gamora!
I'll keep watching the forum for news regarding the argument.
2020-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Luca90 Posted at 4-28 11:03

Having attended a recent meeting of our association here in Ireland word is New EASA rules will now not be in force until earliest December 2020 but it’s most likely this will be pushed out until sometime in 2021 so status quo will remain until then and the two year moratorium will be from the date of new rules.
2020-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think Air2 is ideal for most drone hobbyists, it has everything you really need good camera with really good video options as well as excellent stills ability and quality.
Safety, now with Ocysync and extra battery time front back OA, loosing signal or transmission should be a real comfort to original Air spark and mini users as well as Newbies , I think with extra weight it will be much more stable in the wind and options to fly will be greater .

Yes it doesn’t have side OA but no dji drone has side OA working all the time, it has AT3 POI3 and APAS2 so all the very latest in djis technology as well as all the quickshots and improved panoramas.

All for the same price as the orignal Mavic air which is over two years old $799 , for me this is by a long way the best value dji drone we have ever seen .
2020-4-30
Use props
Luca90
lvl.3
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 4-30 08:55
Having attended a recent meeting of our association here in Ireland word is New EASA rules will now not be in force until earliest December 2020 but it’s most likely this will be pushed out until sometime in 2021 so status quo will remain until then and the two year moratorium will be from the date of new rules.

There's some rumors in Italy too about a skip of the EASA rules application, here people say January 2021, but nothing official from EU, so in a month or two we'll know!
My hope is that the postponement of the rules do not will affect the homologation of the incoming drones and the future one of the Air 2 (man I want this drone so bad, but for now the uncertain future of it with the EU rules stop me from click the "Buy it" button).
Anyway, thank you for the info!
2020-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Luca90 Posted at 4-30 11:50
There's some rumors in Italy too about a skip of the EASA rules application, here people say January 2021, but nothing official from EU, so in a month or two we'll know!
My hope is that the postponement of the rules do not will affect the homologation of the incoming drones and the future one of the Air 2 (man I want this drone so bad, but for now the uncertain future of it with the EU rules stop me from click the "Buy it" button).

The rules shouldn’t stop you, it will be a legacy drone for more than 2 1/2 years and it looks almost certain that EASA will be using Remote ID for registered drones which Mavic air already has.
2020-4-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is more than enough reason that the MA2 is twice the price...and worth it.
2020-4-30
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

For me, the fact that the MA2 has the Ocysync is a no brainer.  Safety should be on top of the list.  Much much less (none so far) interference than my old MA.
2020-8-16
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Air 2 - everyday of the week.
2020-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now