Mounting Ronin-S to a boom pole
4255 7 2020-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yowich
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys,

I don't have Ronin-S yet but wanna will use it for handling a ground survey camera.
Ronin-S will need to be mounted on the tip of a boom pole and the survey camera will be mounted on Ronin-S.
The boom pole has the standard 3/8-inch bolt for mounting a gimbal.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1364395-REG/manfrotto_mboomcfvr_lus_virtual_reality_carbon_fiber.html
I will walk along a line on the ground holding the boom pole and will control the camera to shoot images of the ground.
Will there be any issue mounting Ronin-S to a boom pole? What would be the best practice for mounting it to the boom pole?
Can I remotely control Ronin-S and camera while holding the boom pole?
I worry that Ronin-S control will need to be attached on the tip of the boom pole along with the gimbal itself which will make it hard for me to control the gimbal and camera.

What is your thought?

2020-4-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have tried this with my Osmo Mobile.
Wait a second.
2020-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Here is the video.
2020-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

As you can see, it is far from smooth.
Also notice you can't really control what you see since you can't control the pitch etc.
Maybe with the Ronin-S you have an app that you can use via a smartphone that is mounted on the handle. I'm not sure about that.

Finally, it is heavy. Top heavy.
Hard to lift and operate smoothly.
And I was scared about dropping it.
2020-4-28
Use props
SnakeProof
lvl.2

United States

You should get the Universal mount and a clamp for the pole, this will let the Ronin operate in under slung mode instead of sticking straight out like a flashlight, you can even add a remote tether (not cheap) that gives you all of the controls relocated wherever you want.  
2020-4-28
Use props
SnakeProof
lvl.2

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 05:11
As you can see, it is far from smooth.
Also notice you can't really control what you see since you can't control the pitch etc.
Maybe with the Ronin-S you have an app that you can use via a smartphone that is mounted on the handle. I'm not sure about that.

If you get two pole clamps, attach handles to one and weights to the other, you can clamp the weights to the other end, and mount the handles at the balance point. You'll have extremely smooth video out of it with this setup.
2020-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SnakeProof Posted at 4-28 11:40
You should get the Universal mount and a clamp for the pole, this will let the Ronin operate in under slung mode instead of sticking straight out like a flashlight, you can even add a remote tether (not cheap) that gives you all of the controls relocated wherever you want.

Cool, although that will be a pricy setup
2020-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SnakeProof Posted at 4-28 11:53
If you get two pole clamps, attach handles to one and weights to the other, you can clamp the weights to the other end, and mount the handles at the balance point. You'll have extremely smooth video out of it with this setup.

Nice.
Although I prefer a drone to get my aerial shots
2020-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules