1587 31 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213668 ft
Ireland

Hi,

I know this is a pretty common post but I am really disappointed in my new Mavic Mini.  I live in a rural area where I try to fly my mavic mini.  I flew the drone in idealistic conditions, flat land as far as the eye can see, nothing in the area to cause signal interference.

I flew my drone to 920m and it started to lose signal, movements (on app) were really jumpy and then I lost signal altogether (remote control not connected).  It started the RTH, when it connected again, I aborted the RTH and began flying home manually.  I was 300m from home point and I started to lose signal again, then I got the error remote control not connected.  RTH was intialised again.  This is really disappointing, this is one example, it was just yesterday but this happens each time I fly, I go to the flatland that stretches out as far as you can see and it happens. (it happens in other locations too). I don't know why this is happening.  I do know that this is an entry level drone and I never expected bells and whistles but I did expect for it not to lose connection each time I bring it out.  

I am in Ireland in case that makes a difference with the european build.   Can anyone help me out here or perhaps point me in the direction of help or point out some items that maybe causing this issue.  

Kind regards,
Gary
2020-4-28
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Isn't the max range 2km in 5.8 and only 500m in 2.4? Which band were you using?
2020-4-28
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

Deucalion Posted at 4-28 07:12
Isn't the max range 2km in 5.8 and only 500m in 2.4? Which band were you using?

I have read online that 2,4ghz is the best frequency for rural settings so that is what I've been using.  Should I change it to 5.8ghz?  Do you think it would make a difference?
2020-4-28
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoo Posted at 4-28 07:47
I have read online that 2,4ghz is the best frequency for rural settings so that is what I've been using.  Should I change it to 5.8ghz?  Do you think it would make a difference?

In Wifi generally, 2.4 is longer, 5.8 faster, but I am not sure if that applies here, but I think you are correct. Were you not aware that the range was only 500m? You can try 5.8.
2020-4-28
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-28 07:55
In Wifi generally, 2.4 is longer, 5.8 faster, but I am not sure if that applies here, but I think you are correct. Were you not aware that the range was only 500m? You can try 5.8.

Sorry, my first post had the ranges reversed.

2.4 Ghz is 2000m
and 5.8 Ghz is 500m

So, 2.4 has more range. You said you were out to 900m. Getting half the spec is actually pretty good. I don't think anyone, unless you live on a mountain top, or fly over a large body of water, expects the full spec. But maybe your location is wide and open and no buildings or trees.
2020-4-28
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

Deucalion Posted at 4-28 08:07
Sorry, my first post had the ranges reversed.

2.4 Ghz is 2000m

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  This is the thing, where I'm flying is flat, there are some trees but I'm on a hill above tree level, so it's pretty disappointing.  I had hoped it was going to be something as simple as switching frequency..

Still though that wouldn't explain the loss when bringing the drone home and losing it at 300m (no trees in between drone and me.   I was even doing a height test, directly over head with antennae flat I lost signal at 350m.  

So perhaps this is a limitation but I had really researched this before purchase and I saw lots and lots of distance tests and some people going beyond 2km (which I don't really care for or about) but 1-1.5km would be good
2020-4-28
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoo Posted at 4-28 08:11
Hi,

Thanks for the info.  This is the thing, where I'm flying is flat, there are some trees but I'm on a hill above tree level, so it's pretty disappointing.  I had hoped it was going to be something as simple as switching frequency..

Ok, I have the FCC version and I easily get 2000m in a suburban area from an open park, as long as I have a direct line of sight to the drone. But, when I fly straight up, I get signal issues even at 400 feet. Not a complete drop out, but messages. I do want to try higher at the right location (I am limited by an airport flight path), but I expect to be watching the signal closely. I do know that there can be issues when the drone is directly above you, and the earth directly underneath you. I think what I will do, when I get the chance, is to fly out some distance and then up.
2020-4-28
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GaryDoo Posted at 4-28 08:11
Hi,

Thanks for the info.  This is the thing, where I'm flying is flat, there are some trees but I'm on a hill above tree level, so it's pretty disappointing.  I had hoped it was going to be something as simple as switching frequency..

The US (FCC) Version gets much better range as it has a more powerful 5ghz transmission, lots of the range videos online seem to be using that one, sure gave me false expectations.

Have you tried putting your phone into airplane mode (get the maps loaded first then engage it)? Ive read a few places that say that can help.

FWIW I can get about 300m flying over an empty rugby field before my connection drops

2020-4-28
Use props
JGFly
lvl.3

Canada

All updated ?
2020-4-28
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

This video may be interesting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Oe4AnTWlk

This one about the same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ISJWFaRCk

You can try getting more height, make sure RC antenna are angled correctly and if there is no interference 2.4Ghz should get more distance (it should auto switch to 2.4 if it thinks its best although I think it picks one version to start with, don't think it changes in flight)
2020-4-28
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1949009 ft
Denmark

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-28 08:19
The US (FCC) Version gets much better range as it has a more powerful 5ghz transmission, lots of the range videos online seem to be using that one, sure gave me false expectations.

Have you tried putting your phone into airplane mode (get the maps loaded first then engage it)? Ive read a few places that say that can help.

I have done 2600 m in CE version in rural area. This is great variety though. Sometimes it breaks at 700 m flying from the same spot
2020-4-28
Use props
PauloACSilva
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203520 ft
Portugal

Welcome to the nightmare my friend !!!!!!

Take a look at my thread...
https://forum.dji.com/thread-213688-1-1.html
2020-4-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

To get the 2 Km range with 2.4 GHz you must pinpoint the exact channel that isn't used in any of the homesteads in the surrounding areas.

You can get it but it might take time.
2020-4-28
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-28 08:19
The US (FCC) Version gets much better range as it has a more powerful 5ghz transmission, lots of the range videos online seem to be using that one, sure gave me false expectations.

Hi,

I have read that also (about airplane mode) but I haven't tried it yet.  I will try that this week.. I wonder as I've a smart watch could that affect things (I'm not 100% if I've been wearing it each time though)
2020-4-28
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

Hi,

Yep, all firmware is up to date!  I got very excited reading the release notes of the latest version when it said about Optimized remote controller performance unfortunately it didn't make a difference..
2020-4-28
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 4-28 12:47
To get the 2 Km range with 2.4 GHz you must pinpoint the exact channel that isn't used in any of the homesteads in the surrounding areas.

You can get it but it might take time.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  Can I ask, how do I go about doing that?  This is an entry level drone and I'm definitely an entry level flyer
2020-4-28
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GaryDoo Posted at 4-28 23:17
Hi,

I have read that also (about airplane mode) but I haven't tried it yet.  I will try that this week.. I wonder as I've a smart watch could that affect things (I'm not 100% if I've been wearing it each time though)

I don't think phone or watch will make much of a difference but can't hurt, I've started switching off phone wifi as part of the routine.

You can manually select a channel in the transmission section of the app, I've found the "green" channels jump around to red a lot though so just leave it in auto.

For me the biggest issue with the range is that it seems flakey at even 200m, I've not had a chance to test in a really remote spot yet but on the open rubgy field with lots of trees and a hill between me and nearest houses the signal drops out very easily after 200m.

The auto RTH has always brought it back when needed but makes me think twice about trying to get some good shots in more remote areas or above/around things that it might get stuck on or lost in.

I bought it to take videos like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azr_PP_uKKs
but the thought of flying it 200m off a cliff above the sea and losing connection is not great
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-29 02:59
I don't think phone or watch will make much of a difference but can't hurt, I've started switching off phone wifi as part of the routine.

You can manually select a channel in the transmission section of the app, I've found the "green" channels jump around to red a lot though so just leave it in auto.

It really is disappointing, to pay €400 or €500 with the fly more combo and to get that poor connection stability isn't really good enough.
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Tbh I believe that for the price point MM offers a lot, including a good range but inevitably tied to EU regulations. The FCC can comfortably reach 2 kilometer because the 5.8 GHz band is far less congested than the 2.4 GHz one.

You have to learn to use MANUAL channel selection and do your tests (use the strength and channel quality meter withing the Fly app), in AUTO the least busy CH is selected at power on.
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

m80116 Posted at 4-29 04:58
Tbh I believe that for the price point MM offers a lot, including a good range but inevitably tied to EU regulations. The FCC can comfortably reach 2 kilometer because the 5.8 GHz band is far less congested than the 2.4 GHz one.

You have to learn to use MANUAL channel selection and do your tests (use the strength and channel quality meter withing the Fly app), in AUTO the least busy CH is selected at power on.

Does OcuSync have similar limitations in EU versus FCC?
2020-4-29
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tbh I believe that for the price point MM offers a lot, including a good range but inevitably tied to EU regulations. The FCC can comfortably reach 2 kilometer because the 5.8 GHz band is far less congested than the 2.4 GHz one.

You have to learn to use MANUAL channel selection and do your tests (use the strength and channel quality meter withing the Fly app), in AUTO the least busy CH is selected at power on.

Hopefully they will let us out of lockdown eventually and I'll be able to reassure myself with the range when flying in a more remote area. Will be interesting to see what happens if it goes being something tall and thin like a lighthouse

I love the drone itself, I guess I shouldn't have watched the FCC range tests otherwise I would be none the wiser (although I saw a CE one yesterday where he got nearly 4km over a remote bog somewhere in Europe)

I'll also be keen to test manual selection more, where I am all the available channels (2.4ghz) seem to flick in and out of red rapidly.
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 05:01
Does OcuSync have similar limitations in EU versus FCC?

The legal limits are the same for every CE model, but DJI somehow allowed a bit more clearance to upscale models, and OcuSync is a better transmission technology.
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-29 05:22
Hopefully they will let us out of lockdown eventually and I'll be able to reassure myself with the range when flying in a more remote area. Will be interesting to see what happens if it goes being something tall and thin like a lighthouse

I love the drone itself, I guess I shouldn't have watched the FCC range tests otherwise I would be none the wiser (although I saw a CE one yesterday where he got nearly 4km over a remote bog somewhere in Europe)

The best you can expect without losing connection is go behind a lamppost, a lighthouse is a massive construction and shouldn't be tackled out of vLOS. You can get around that if you're operating at a higher level (for instance, on a cliff), otherwise Auto-RTH might kick in and you better have it set properly (at an altitude superior than the object) otherwise it will meet it during its way back.

2.4 GHz in most areas is a mess... unfortunately.
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-29 05:22

I love the drone itself, I guess I shouldn't have watched the FCC range tests otherwise I would be none the wiser (although I saw a CE one yesterday where he got nearly 4km over a remote bog somewhere in Europe)

So this confirms that I need to tweak my settings (or I have a dud) because where I'm experiencing this is over a bog in the middle of Ireland... so really I guess there two things to try

1:  Turn on Airplane mode. (once maps are sorted)
2:  Test different channels for quality and strength

Hope that either / both of those bring some joy.
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

I would even be happy with 1.5km range but to lose signal at 300m, in the middle of nowhere with no chance of interference is a bit of a killer..   I will try as you suggested, testing channels and see how I get on...

2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Be aware of the Bluetooth bug blocking flying mode choices, you should put your MD in offline mode, disable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi before launching the Fly app (and probably make sure it's shut before doing that).

2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 4-29 06:05
Be aware of the Bluetooth bug blocking flying mode choices, you should put your MD in offline mode, disable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi before launching the Fly app (and probably make sure it's shut before doing that).

Brilliant, thank you.

So just a quick one in relation to Mavic Air 2, it's boasting 10km range with Occusync, will that differ for EU models?
2020-4-29
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GaryDoo Posted at 4-29 06:05
I would even be happy with 1.5km range but to lose signal at 300m, in the middle of nowhere with no chance of interference is a bit of a killer..   I will try as you suggested, testing channels and see how I get on...

Heres the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZBxTmJi0Q

He's up a wooden tower and second run (bit further) he has a ranger extender.

He has other videos where he gets much less in a fairly rural area - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_2c58hWiQ

edit, this is the FCC one that gave me a really false impression of what mine could do - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRxVK2cW7A
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Realistically I'd expect something like MA2 EU to cover approximately 2 Km. Which is plenty enough must be said, and already out of the legal bounds: I challenge who's going to spot a MA2 2 kilometers away in the sky.
2020-4-29
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

GaryDoo Posted at 4-29 06:15
Brilliant, thank you.

So just a quick one in relation to Mavic Air 2, it's boasting 10km range with Occusync, will that differ for EU models?

By the way, I've seen/read several resources showing if you ever take your drone to an FCC area like the States the 5ghz signal strength is increased and you get about twice the usual 5ghz range (so more stable than 2ghz). The FCC hardware is different so it still won't match a full FCC drone.

It is possible to make your phone think it is in the states but that's not advisable as it voids your warranty and may well be illegal to operate the drone.
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

itchyeyeballs Posted at 4-29 06:19
Heres the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZBxTmJi0Q

He's up a wooden tower and second run (bit further) he has a ranger extender.

Hi,

Yes I've seen that guy, 3,700km before adding the range extender... I can't get 900m .. I don't have a wooden tower but I am on higher ground across bogland, something similar to that..
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoo
lvl.1
Ireland

When the weather allows I'll return to that site and fly with the above suggestions and I will update here with findings
2020-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules