Is the real 48MP?
5216 13 2020-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
weidji
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158196 ft
United States

I can see the Mavic Air 2 just release with two option 12MP or 48MP. So I am wonder its real 48MP? Anyone who has Mavic Air 2. Its big different quality 12 vs 48MP?
Please comment here what your thought about 12 and 48MP
2020-4-30
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

There is only one version when it comes to camera. The same sensor is designed to be used as 12MP or 48MP as it's color resolution is still a quarter of 12MP.

Below is the best article I have seen about the this line of 48MP "Quad Bayer" sensors:

https://www.gsmarena.com/quad_ba ... ined-news-37459.php

I have no affiliation to the site or the author, and the article is not written specifically for Mavic Air 2, but it explains everything you need to know...

Hope this helps...
2020-4-30
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 4-30 22:03
There is only one version when it comes to camera. The same sensor is designed to be used as 12MP or 48MP as it's color resolution is still a quarter of 12MP.

Below is the best article I have seen about the this line of 48MP "Quad Bayer" sensors:

Very useful article and confirms my thoughts that the 20 MP image you'll get off the 1" sensor on the 2 Pro will be better quality than the 48 MP image from a 1/2" sensor.  Wil be testing this out....
Cheers
Ian
2020-4-30
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

The sensor on the Mavic Air 2 appears to be the same sensor as is used on the EVO II 8K.
2020-4-30
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

according to tests i've seen online, the 48MP photos are slightly better than the M2P's 20MP photos *in good light*. In low-light (where you shouldn't be using the 48MP mode anyway), the M2P will clearly have the edge.

The sensor is a real 48MP sensor, the quad-bayer technology is used to merge 4px into 1px and obtain the 12MP photos. This basically gives you the high res image when there's plenty of light but doesn't leave you with too-small pixels in low light.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201807/18-060E/

Full comparison:

2020-4-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is how this sensor works.
2020-5-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

With a 1/2-inch CMOS sensor, Mavic Air 2 captures an impressive 48MP photos. The camera's CMOS sensor uses Quad Bayer color filter array, in which adjacent pixels use the same color, increasing the level of sensitivity when shooting.
2020-5-1
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 4-30 23:52
according to tests i've seen online, the 48MP photos are slightly better than the M2P's 20MP photos *in good light*. In low-light (where you shouldn't be using the 48MP mode anyway), the M2P will clearly have the edge.

The sensor is a real 48MP sensor, the quad-bayer technology is used to merge 4px into 1px and obtain the 12MP photos. This basically gives you the high res image when there's plenty of light but doesn't leave you with too-small pixels in low light.

This has been my theory as well. Great to see confirmation.
2020-5-1
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

Don't forget that the image quality is not only the sensor, it's also the optics.
In theory, the resolution of a quad bayer sensor would be close to the resolution of a bayer sensor with the same number of pixels (the information of resolution is given by the luminance, the 2x2 binning in color does not affect a lot the resolution). But the problem is that with pixels of 0.8 micron only :
1/ you need an excellent lens
2/ at 2.8 you get diffraction
For that reason, the 48MP of the MA2 cannot beat the 20MP of the MP2.
The good point is that the chroma noise, which is the most annoying to process, is reduced by the binning. Actually you get a noise of 12MP with a resolution which is in between 12 and 48.
This is without take into account the performances of the lens (distorsion, vignetting, homogeneity of resolution)
It's like hifi, a good CD player is not useful if the loudspeakers are crappy
2020-5-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 5-1 00:55
It is how this sensor works.

Yes some kind of trickery, but from what i read the results are excellent, there is similar on zoom but It doesn’t shoot in raw where as MA2 does, there are some on you tube you can download .
2020-5-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 5-1 04:45
Yes some kind of trickery, but from what i read the results are excellent, there is similar on zoom but It doesn’t shoot in raw where as MA2 does, there are some on you tube you can download .

Yes, the results I have seen so far look promising.
Can't wait to see some 'real users' try it out.
2020-5-1
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

you can get a very good test (in french)  and some samples here

https://www.helicomicro.com/2020 ... test-review-savoir/
https://mega.nz/folder/PkoEWQaB#cR9c_8MaOdmCZT-e4Bz6QQ
2020-5-1
Use props
Stromae
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82694 ft
Norway

I would take a look at Tom's Tech Time review... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opq_9qFm9Ts  . If you go to his website as well you can download sample unedited photos. I did and IMO it looks pretty darn good concidering the price.
2020-5-1
Use props
weidji
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158196 ft
United States

Thanks for your answer to comment on here thread..Now I understand about the how its work with 48MP on the 12MP...Wish that Drone able to take the real 48MP instead 20MP or Quad Bayer...HA
2020-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules