Feature-Request: Different Aspect ratio on goggles and airunit
2565 8 2020-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
downset
lvl.3

Germany

Hello,

Would like to see the possibility in a future update to set the Aspect ratio of the goggles to 4:3 for maximum field of view in flight,
but on the Air unit I would like to record in the most common 16:9 format.

On top a osd Frame to see the 16:9 recorded field of view on the goggles would make it perfect

greets
downset

2020-5-4
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

I don't think this makes much sense. 4:3 is the native aspect ratio of the camera sensor and, recording in 16:9, means throwing away pixels. That's why I always prefer to do it in post, so I can choose which part of the frame to keep.
2020-5-4
Use props
downset
lvl.3

Germany

Sure if you edit the files of cause you can do it by yourself,
but for me, who is to lazy to do anything with the video files on my slow notebook other than viewing, I have to view them in Letterbox on my TV
i don`t do any cutting, Youtube ore something like that, just want to view as it is on my TV

so maybe it don`t make sens for you, but i would love this option.

My workaround is that, if i want the video in my final ratio, i also fly in 16:9 witch is an bad option cause as you wrote, i loose view cause of the native 4:3 camera

greets
downset
2020-5-4
Use props
arnasnngmail.com
lvl.3

Lithuania

Tried to edit 4:3 to 16:9 in post and the quality is way worse, compared to initially recording 16:9.
I think 4:3 records similar amount of actual data, bitrate, so when cut to 16:9 you get way worse results.

Am I correct ?
2020-5-4
Use props
5zero7rc
lvl.4

United States

I agree that the DJI air unit could do a better 16:9 recording if it devoted all the bitrate it vs. doing it in post.  I too would like to see DJI give us an option to record 16:9 in the air unit and fly via 4:3 in the goggles.  Not a high priority though, would rather have live audio in the goggles and warnings in the OSD first
2020-5-4
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

5zero7rc Posted at 5-4 18:43
I agree that the DJI air unit could do a better 16:9 recording if it devoted all the bitrate it vs. doing it in post.  I too would like to see DJI give us an option to record 16:9 in the air unit and fly via 4:3 in the goggles.  Not a high priority though, would rather have live audio in the goggles and warnings in the OSD first

I would like to have a stable firmware first. This last release seems to have a lot of critical issues.
2020-5-5
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Italy

arnasnngmail.com Posted at 5-4 10:04
Tried to edit 4:3 to 16:9 in post and the quality is way worse, compared to initially recording 16:9.
I think 4:3 records similar amount of actual data, bitrate, so when cut to 16:9 you get way worse results.

I' surprised to hear this. I will give it a try as well.
2020-5-5
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Yes, I'm lazy too, and I dont do stuff in post, but I fly in 4:3 for maximum field of view. So having a recording option in 16:9 WOULD be nice. And for God sakes, give us an option to record the OSD as well.
2020-5-5
Use props
arnasnngmail.com
lvl.3

Lithuania

I agree that such option would be awesome, but it might be technically impossible. In order to get 4:3 in goggles, air unit needs use camera in such mode, but somehow needs to convert it to 16:9 before writing to sd card, it probabbly doesn't have such processing power its one or another... Maybe they could increase 4:3 bitrate by a third, that would help to use it in post.
2020-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules