What is the best setting for video after the .500 update?
1894 12 2020-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_3a6B9JXtKacg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81293 ft
Spain

Hello guys,
I am new to the world of drones and video. After the last update, and for making landscape videos, what would be the best video settings? 2.7k 24fps, 2.7k 30fps, 1080p 24/48/60 fps?
Very thankful.

2020-5-6
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I don't think there is a one size fits all, you will need to test them and see depending on what you are trying to achieve.

2.7k will create bigger files and may need a better computer if you plan on editing.

The new manual exposure settings will probably have a bigger impact on your videos though.  I have found this Youtube channel to be really useful (edit this vid is from before v 0.5 update)  -
2020-5-6
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-6 05:06
I don't think there is a one size fits all, you will need to test them and see depending on what you are trying to achieve.

2.7k will create bigger files and may need a better computer if you plan on editing.

His video was before all the video control stuff (WB, SS, ISO).. So hopefully there will be an updated version soon.
2020-5-6
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

thE29 Posted at 5-6 05:07
His video was before all the video control stuff (WB, SS, ISO).. So hopefully there will be an updated version soon.

beat me to it, realised and added an edit just as you replied
2020-5-6
Use props
Newbie Europe
lvl.2
Germany

I usually use 1080p 60 fps, because it looks softer especially when you fly sideways and when the drone turns.

I have tried the cards recommended by DJI: SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB microSDXC Class 10 and Samsung MB-MC128GA/EU EVO Plus 128GB microSDXC UHS-I U3. I have always had the same experiences as in the following video:

2020-5-6
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.3
Flight distance : 235768 ft
Germany

I absolutely love filming with 24 FPS 1/50 Shutter and 100 ISO with the Mini. Not an expert though, just think the image looks really nice.
Also Using Freewell Bright Day ND Filders most of the time.
2020-5-6
Use props
Tso11k0
lvl.1
Spain

Thanks!!!!
2020-5-7
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

The best settings really depend on you having ND filters for your mini. ND Filters are basically sunglasses for your drone camera. A long time ago 24fps was established as the frame rate used for film. For years this is what our eyes have seen when we watch a movie. The frame rate determines how much blur is produced when objects move on the screen or static objects move past the screen. 24fps produces a very pleasing blur that immediately is recognized by our brains as “film quality”. Too high frame rate and the image looks fake and digital(video games), too low and it appears to stutter.

So now that we’ve established 24fps is the most cinematic frame rate we can move on to the other settings. Resolution should always be as high as possible unless there is a flaw within the device that causes image errors when recording at that resolution. In the case of the mini 2.7k has no issues and produces the best image. It doesn’t matter where you’re uploading or if you’re going to make it 1080p in editing. Editing software will down size the resolution to 1080p resulting in a better 1080p image than if it was shot 1080p to start. Also it gives you some latitude to reframe the footage if you want.

Ok now into shutter speed and ISO. ISO should always be as low as possible. ISO brightens the image digitally and the higher the ISO is set to the more noisy the footage gets. We want the image as clear as possible so lowest ISO you can set it to while still exposing the image properly.

Shutter speed is complicated but I’ll spare the technical details and just give you the rule. In filmmaking there is a shutter speed rule called the 180 degree rule. What is means is that filmmakers realized to best mimic actual film recording on digital platforms your shutter speed needs to be double the number of your framerate. The reason for this goes back to old school film days and the speed film ran through the reel. You can google it if you want more info. In the case of 24fps our shutter should be 1/48 or the closest to it which on most digital cameras is 1/50.

Ok still with me? So we established 2.7k 24fps at a shutter speed of 1/50 and our ISO as low as possible. Now you will find out fast that using these settings on anything but the perfect conditions makes your image way too bright. Since we can’t go lower than 100 ISO how do we get our footage to be properly exposed while still using the most optimal film quality settings? ND filters. That’s why they’re so important and why they exist. They work by being sunglasses for your lens. Darkening the image so it is properly exposed with the film quality settings we established. Sets come with different levels of darkening and which one you need to use depends on how bright a day it is.

Now if you don’t have ND Filters you’re going to have to raise your shutter speed. The image will still look good but motion will appear more jittery than with the proper shutter speed. Also disclaimer: Many people say they prefer 30fps or 60fps and that’s perfectly fine. It’s your footage, shoot how you want. I’m just giving the industry standard for film quality footage.
2020-5-7
Use props
Tso11k0
lvl.1
Spain

Thanks!! incredible your opinion, experience and response. It is a great place to start.
2020-5-7
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90453 ft
North Macedonia

J04DAN Posted at 5-7 05:14
The best settings really depend on you having ND filters for your mini. ND Filters are basically sunglasses for your drone camera. A long time ago 24fps was established as the frame rate used for film. For years this is what our eyes have seen when we watch a movie. The frame rate determines how much blur is produced when objects move on the screen or static objects move past the screen. 24fps produces a very pleasing blur that immediately is recognized by our brains as “film quality”. Too high frame rate and the image looks fake and digital(video games), too low and it appears to stutter.

So now that we’ve established 24fps is the most cinematic frame rate we can move on to the other settings. Resolution should always be as high as possible unless there is a flaw within the device that causes image errors when recording at that resolution. In the case of the mini 2.7k has no issues and produces the best image. It doesn’t matter where you’re uploading or if you’re going to make it 1080p in editing. Editing software will down size the resolution to 1080p resulting in a better 1080p image than if it was shot 1080p to start. Also it gives you some latitude to reframe the footage if you want.

Very good explanation!
Can you also provide good ND filters brand (from aliexpress, ofcourse ) ?
2020-5-7
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Is there any issue with the extra weight on the gimbal with a filter in place? my guess was that it wasn't designed to carry them like te other drones so could stress the motors/system?
2020-5-7
Use props
Thalisbl
lvl.4
United Kingdom

itchyeyeballs Posted at 5-7 06:30
Is there any issue with the extra weight on the gimbal with a filter in place? my guess was that it wasn't designed to carry them like te other drones so could stress the motors/system?

The known filters out there weight less than a gr (the drone with the filter weight still less than 250grms). In my mind this says that the filter adds minimum stress to gimbal system. From the other hand DJI has never approved them, so I assume it is personal decision
2020-5-7
Use props
J04DAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34413 ft
Canada

Durlano Posted at 5-7 06:09
Very good explanation!
Can you also provide good ND filters brand (from aliexpress, ofcourse  ) ?

I can't speak for Aliexpress but I just ordered the Freewell Gear filters because they have been reviewed to weigh less than a gram and don't show up on the edges of the footage like some cheaper ones.

Whichever ones you get though make sure they have ND16 and ND32. Anything below ND16 is going to be too bright still on a bright day.
2020-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules