EXTREME Mavic Mini Wind Test!!!!
1123 20 2020-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

I'm pretty shocked at just how well the Mavic Mini can cope with wind, accepted that if you take it to the extreme at high altitude towards the end of battery capacity then it can be terminal for the little Mini, but this demonstrate shows that if you're careful, it can cope with pretty gusty winds, in this example 38kph/25mph!!

2020-5-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is impressive!
2020-5-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Or should I say IMPRESSIVE
2020-5-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Considering the wind conditions the MM performed quite well.  Thanks for sharing.
2020-5-12
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 5-12 02:17
Or should I say IMPRESSIVE

Haha, how about "I M P R E S S I V E" thanks dude
2020-5-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

sergeant Posted at 5-12 02:45
Haha, how about "I M P R E S S I V E"  thanks dude

Hahahahahaha.
LOL
T H A T W O U L D B E B E T T E R
2020-5-12
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-12 02:27
Considering the wind conditions the MM performed quite well.  Thanks for sharing.

Incredible isn't it, it would have been nice to take the little Mini up a little higher but on a day like that, it's not worth the risk!
2020-5-12
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice job Ash.
2020-5-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mini Beast
2020-5-12
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Just a note: there's no need to do CSC for stopping the motors mid-flight during a blow away (which normally shouldn't be even enabled if there isn't an emergency) and crash-land rather than auto-land.

Selecting the Auto-land option for the loss of connection you can commence an auto-landing confident it will land gently onto something suitable, else it will hover as long as it can.
2020-5-12
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

m80116 Posted at 5-12 07:21
Just a note: there's no need to do CSC for stopping the motors mid-flight during a blow away (which normally shouldn't be even enabled if there isn't an emergency) and crash-land rather than auto-land.

Selecting the Auto-land option for the loss of connection you can commence an auto-landing confident it will land gently onto something suitable, else it will hover as long as it can.

Yes that's assuming that you have control of the drone, in excessive wind it is possible for a quad to simply lose complete stability and to fly off, in which case using CSC is far safer and it'll kill it immediately, rather than it continuing to drift in wind, landing with props spinning in someone's face.

CSC would be the safest procedure in the scenario in this video, as a safeguard  
2020-5-12
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I argue NOT and here's why.

If you do the CSC the drone will drop from the sky reaching terminal velocity. Yes it is a 249 gr drone deemed safe for unqualified (license free) usage but not as safe not to cause any injury. But anyway I think we could agree the drop in the head is quite unlikely... it's to preserve AC integrity.

Emergency CSC propellers STOP in my view should only be used when the drone is out of control, for wrongfully acquired geomagnetic reference (yaw problem) or technical problems (a broken propeller blade might be one).

Piloting it down or using the Auto-landing when paired with the Failsafe descend option for signal lost means that the drone can safely reach land, maintaining position the best it could and avoiding potential danger on the ground. Afaik the auto-landing is designed to land onto stable patterned surfaces, which a person clearly isn't. And anyway... persons usually move after they hear and see a drone coming, meanwhile our little flying bug would hover as long as it can when unsuitable ground is found.

Hovering at 1.5 meters would be the least of my concerns in that position... the wind there unless in a tropical storm is far more likely to be tolerable, thus not causing any position shift.
2020-5-12
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

m80116 Posted at 5-12 08:58
I argue NOT and here's why.

If you do the CSC the drone will drop from the sky reaching terminal velocity. Yes it is a 249 gr drone deemed safe for unqualified (license free) usage but not as safe not to cause any injury. But anyway I think we could agree the drop in the head is quite unlikely... it's to preserve AC integrity.

If flying at great altitude then I'd agree, but you're forgetting that we're discussing the context of this video, flying at barely 5m from the ground, where I clearly state that using CSC would be the safety and quickest way to avoid the drone from hitting someone with spinning props.
2020-5-12
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

You should do the same test on water
2020-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Been to Sweden many times , it’s not proper wind, north west coast of Ireland , that’s real wind ;+):::
2020-5-12
Use props
Zotya
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1510945 ft

Hungary

Nice test! Thanks for sharing!
2020-5-12
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

Very nice video to let us know the capability of the MM. Would be interesting to see comparison like what these guys do:

From their tests, it seems the MA2 and M2P can handle winds way over (unscientifically presented at 60 mph) their stated specs of 22-24 MPH (3 times higher!). The MM which is rated at about 17.9 mph may not be designed to handle wind with a safety factor of x 3. Thus, if one switches from the M2P/MA1/MA2 to an MM, flying styles may have to be different.

Anyway, always nice to watch videos on testings especially during this lockdown period.
2020-5-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bloodied_Mini Posted at 5-12 20:44
Very nice video to let us know the capability of the MM. Would be interesting to see comparison like what these guys do:

From their tests, it seems the MA2 and M2P can handle winds way over (unscientifically presented at 60 mph) their stated specs of 22-24 MPH (3 times higher!).

You've confused a silly stunt with a test.
Having a narrow stream of air from a blower shake up a drone is very, very different from what happens to a drone in wind.
Wind is not a 3 inch wide stream of air.
A Mini doesn't get out of the wind when it gets pushed a foot or two.
That "test" was like being splashed with a hose while real wind is like swimming in a fast river.

If the wind is blowing more than 8 m/s (18 mph) the Mini cannot hold position or make any headway and will be blown backwards (or 12 m/s / 27 mph in Sport Mode).

2020-5-12
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

If the propellers were more rigid, perhaps the resistance and support would be better in these situations?
2020-5-12
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

sergeant Posted at 5-12 07:58
Yes that's assuming that you have control of the drone, in excessive wind it is possible for a quad to simply lose complete stability and to fly off, in which case using CSC is far safer and it'll kill it immediately, rather than it continuing to drift in wind, landing with props spinning in someone's face.

CSC would be the safest procedure in the scenario in this video, as a safeguard

I would probably use CSC in that case as well. If the wind is so much that I can't control it. Especially at that low altitude and running out of horizontal clearance. If I was higher, but still in the park, I would try to fly it to the ground. Full stick down and into the wind. It is only when I can't land locally that I consider changing the RTH behavior to auto land or hover. Definitely not hover though, not in high wind.
2020-5-13
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

nicely done...thx!
2020-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules