Hovering stability different after changing props
1263 11 2020-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jperkmr954
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1228609 ft
United States

Ive noticed that after changing my props (All of them) that it will not hover 100% still as it did initially upon purchase. Looking at the props themselves they all are fine - no warning issues when flying - no different audible tone to indicate something it moving faster slower different that normal.

I do suspect the angles of the props look strange in hover from the rear - as the front sets look to spin 100% horizontal but the rears seem to have a slight angle to them. What should I check/recheck?

Thanks.
2020-5-13
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm assuming they are from DJI?
2020-5-13
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

Can you post pictures? of old and new?
2020-5-13
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

Vlas Posted at 5-13 09:57
I'm assuming they are from DJI?

Yes, replacements from the pack when I purchased.
2020-5-13
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

zeb_ Posted at 5-13 09:59
Can you post pictures? of old and new?

Unfortunately, I no longer have the old ones - I trashed them all when I replaced. Reason I replaced is clipped a tree in a flight (thought I was high enough but I wasn't on the side I'm blind to and prop tore. I just decided to replace them all since I had been flying for a while now - and just wanted to be 100% fresh.

I haven't gotten the prop speed thing - nothing sounds odd - I just feel it doesn't still 100% still in hover anymore as it did originally - but I could be mistaken.
2020-5-13
Use props
zeb_
lvl.3
Germany

You could also look at the .DAT log files and graph the rpm rate of every motor (see https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023 for a guide).
2020-5-13
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

zeb_ Posted at 5-13 10:07
You could also look at the .DAT log files and graph the rpm rate of every motor (see https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=214023 for a guide).

Thats an amazing resource - never knew that - I might need to put that program on my desktop to use!

Thanks!
2020-5-13
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Rear motors have a slight angle... as long as they look symmetrical and you did not bend an arm when you crashed, you're good. Not sure what you mean with "100% still", if it's vibrating or shaking than it might be something related to props, if it's unstable and doesn't stay flat it could be IMU, if it's not holding position but it's drifting awat it could be GPS or Vision. Or it could simply be it was windy when you did your test: if you have enough space, do another test indoor and make sure there is enough light for the Vision system to work well.
2020-5-13
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

120ccpm Posted at 5-13 11:04
Rear motors have a slight angle... as long as it's symmetrical and it doesn't look like you bent an arm when you crashed, you're good. Not sure what you mean with "100% still", if it's vibrating or shaking than it might be something related to props, if it's unstable and doesn't stay flat it could be IMU, if it's not holding position but it's drifting awat it could be GPS or Vision. Or it could simply be it was windy when you did your test: if you have enough space, do another test indoor and make sure there is enough light for the Vision system to work well.

Exactly - Im not 100% certain it wasn't wind that was causing a tad drift when hovering. I know my indoor test yesterday with without my phone connected and it was drifting in hover but I know that was GPS. I just feel like previously it stayed in a perfected flat hover - but I don't think anything is severely wrong - it has flown since the fall which was very minor - and have given no warnings that I have seen.

Im going to get online with bestbuy and order more props!
2020-5-13
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

An upward angle or?

If you could get a picture that'd be great, but for reference check below for 2 methods of photographing the props.

(These can be found here: OG Thread, Thanks for the awesome shots @Ralle)
Simply place the mini on a flat surface, hold a piece of paper up behind the props and snap a picture.

Here you can see a deformed flat prop.

Here you can see after they were replaced they have an upward angle to them.

Here's another method of reviewing the props and again you can see the flat vs new upward angled prop.

2020-5-13
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

jperkmr954 Posted at 5-13 11:08
Exactly - Im not 100% certain it wasn't wind that was causing a tad drift when hovering. I know my indoor test yesterday with without my phone connected and it was drifting in hover but I know that was GPS. I just feel like previously it stayed in a perfected flat hover - but I don't think anything is severely wrong - it has flown since the fall which was very minor - and have given no warnings that I have seen.

Im going to get online with bestbuy and order more props!

The Vision System should keep the AC in place when GPS signal is not available: you might want to do the test again, at least 50cm from the ground, good light, good surface (not too uniform, see manual for details). Also, do your tests with the mobile device connected, so you can see if there are any error messages. It might not hurt to do an IMU calibration, just in case.
2020-5-13
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

Tried my best to do the photos....

left rear - right rear
20200513_160316.jpg
20200513_160359.jpg
2020-5-13
Use props