Smart Controller - Do you plan on buying for the Air2?
984 12 2020-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_H29aeqAtv0JN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 227854 ft
United States

I've been thinking about getting the smart controller for the Air2 once the firmware is available.  But, thinking about it, at $750, doesn't seem like it's worth the cost as it cost almost as much as the Air2 itself.  Kicking around the idea of just buying a cheap phone, something like a Samsung A51 to use as a dedicated monitor for the remote.

While my current Note 10+ works, it's not ideal.  The buttons on the phone are on the left so it has to be mounted on the remote with the usb-c port to the left.  The cable is too short and it's quite a bit of strain on it if I want to center the phone.  I have to shift the phone to the right to have some relief on the cable.  If I turn the 90 degree connection around, I can center the phone without straining the cable.  But, then I wouldn't be able to store the cable as is in the remote.  I would have to unplug and plug back in each time, which puts unecessary wear on the usb-c port.  Reason I'm thinking Samsung A51 is the buttons are on the right so I could mount the phone centered on the remote and the usb-c port would be to the right.

Other than this little nitpick, I'm loving the air2.  Blows the Mini out of the water as it should fore double the price. Newbie in the drone world so have lots to learn.

2020-5-13
Use props
djiuser_H29aeqAtv0JN
lvl.3
United States

2020-5-13
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Did you try mounting it the other way around and is it actually pushing your buttons? I’m asking because it seems to have a grasp on the phone similar to the Osmo Mobile 3 and I can have my iPhone’s buttons under the holder with no issues, it’s not hitting the buttons.
That being said, there’s no way in hell I’m paying as much as I paid for the actual drone to get a remote with an attached screen instead of just using my phone. I know people will disagree but that’s my take on it.
2020-5-13
Use props
djiuser_H29aeqAtv0JN
lvl.3
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 5-13 13:58
Did you try mounting it the other way around and is it actually pushing your buttons? I’m asking because it seems to have a grasp on the phone similar to the Osmo Mobile 3 and I can have my iPhone’s buttons under the holder with no issues, it’s not hitting the buttons.
That being said, there’s no way in hell I’m paying as much as I paid for the actual drone to get a remote with an attached screen instead of just using my phone. I know people will disagree but that’s my take on it.

I did actually and it presses my volume button so can't mount it that way.
2020-5-13
Use props
djiuser_H29aeqAtv0JN
lvl.3
United States

Also, I kinda wished I kept the mavmount since I sold it with my mini.  It would have worked in the clamp. But then again, that would make the remote really top heavy...
2020-5-13
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I would consider it if it lets me use DJI Go instead of DJI Fly.
2020-5-13
Use props
Bulldog_Fan
lvl.3
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 5-13 13:58
Did you try mounting it the other way around and is it actually pushing your buttons? I’m asking because it seems to have a grasp on the phone similar to the Osmo Mobile 3 and I can have my iPhone’s buttons under the holder with no issues, it’s not hitting the buttons.
That being said, there’s no way in hell I’m paying as much as I paid for the actual drone to get a remote with an attached screen instead of just using my phone. I know people will disagree but that’s my take on it.

So I tried it again and wth, it doesn't touch the volume buttons.  I had to push the phone back farther so that the buttons don't ride on top of the lip.  Anyway, I'm still considering the smart controller just for the convenience.  If it was in the 400 to maybe even 500 price point, I'd probably pull the trigger.
2020-5-13
Use props
Seachief
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123301 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bulldog_Fan Posted at 5-13 15:43
So I tried it again and wth, it doesn't touch the volume buttons.  I had to push the phone back farther so that the buttons don't ride on top of the lip.  Anyway, I'm still considering the smart controller just for the convenience.  If it was in the 400 to maybe even 500 price point, I'd probably pull the trigger.

I jumped in and bought the Smart Controller and resolved to await the update to use it. Worst case if DJI reneges on making it MA2 compatible, I will sell it. In the meantime I have the Mavmount 3 with a couple of different holders so I can use my Samsung Note 9 or my new Samsung 10" Tab S6 tablet.
While first worry was that it would be quite top-heavy, I think that will be mitigated by the Mavmount tablet holder clamp that can be pivoted more upright and in front of the controller some rather than just stuck on the far edge. Remember too that the Mavmount has a 3 or 4 inch base on the ball head it uses that kind of stacks the phone or tablet above and in front of the controller. We'll see....my MA2 FMC is due here in the AM. Winds in Vermont have been gusts 17-22 for a few days here so been grounded with the Mavic Pro while I wait.
2020-5-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have no plans on buying a smart controller.
That is way too expensive for me.
2020-5-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. I've transferred your feedback to the product department. Thanks for your understanding and support.
2020-5-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't buy a smart controller until the support is added for the Air 2, instead buy a cheap tablet or a second hand phone.
2020-5-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

750 for the smart controller is steep.
2020-5-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I already have the sc for my m2z so I can't wait until it is compatible with my ma2.  I think it's going to happen so if you see a good deal on a sc, I would buy it now.  to me it is so much more convenient to use the sc as opposed to the rc in so many ways.  having to go back to the rc when flying my mini, I can tell the difference so recommend.  perhaps there will be a ma2 package w/sc well-priced.
2020-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules