Altitude limited to 30m
5665 17 2020-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lee82gx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

Hello DJI, I had a flight today in an unlockable zone. After performing the unlocking I flew, but was limited to 30m height. When I ascend the height would be RED at 30m. I saw a prompt that warned me also that the altitude limit is 30m.

Here's the thing, I already had 1 flight before that flew above 30m earlier in the day but with the first battery I used to update the firmware with DJI assistant.

Now with the same battery I landed, and updated the battery firmware and then tried to fly again. This time the altitude limit is no longer 30m but as usual I can fly above 100m.

Is it true that because the battery firmware was not up to date was the cause of the altitude limit?
2020-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Usually weak gps will limit your height , I don’t have manual with me but it explains it in the manual.
2020-5-16
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-16 09:10
Usually weak gps will limit your height , I don’t have manual with me but it explains it in the manual.

I wonder if this is a new thing? I'll need to read my M2 manual about that.
2020-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vlas Posted at 5-16 12:11
I wonder if this is a new thing? I'll need to read my M2 manual about that.

No it’s not new it’s same for all dji craft.

2020-5-16
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-16 12:24
No it’s not new it’s same for all dji craft.

[view_image]

Thank you. I have never encountered a situation like this.
2020-5-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 5-16 09:10

Thanks hallmark007

Yes I saw the flight logs with “Gentle GPS” flight status for a period of that flight. However, at certain other times of the flight it was in P-GPS mode during which I also couldn’t rise above 30m.

I’m now paying more attention to the GPS signal health now. As comparison this is my backyard, and I’ve flown many times with my Mavic 1 and Mavic Air without weak gps signal here.
2020-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

lee82gx Posted at 5-16 18:24
Thanks hallmark007

Yes I saw the flight logs with “Gentle GPS” flight status for a period of that flight. However, at certain other times of the flight it was in P-GPS mode during which I also couldn’t rise above 30m.

However, at certain other times of the flight it was in P-GPS mode during which I also couldn’t rise above 30m.
Your recorded flight data probably gives more information to explain this.
Post it if you want someone to look at it for you.
2020-5-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

Labroides Posted at 5-16 19:19
However, at certain other times of the flight it was in P-GPS mode during which I also couldn’t rise above 30m.
Your recorded flight data probably gives more information to explain this.
Post it if you want someone to look at it for you.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XN2IW5OM5RTKH2B1EVJM/

log

there was a portion of flight with p-gps
2020-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

lee82gx Posted at 5-16 20:07
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/XN2IW5OM5RTKH2B1EVJM/

log

You had full GPS for the whole flight - GPS health of 4 or 5 all the way.
Gentle GPS is indicating you were flying with APAS active.
For some reason the Verbose CSV won't open so I can't see what limits were active.

You were flying with a very low battery which is a good way to crash the drone.
2020-5-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

Labroides Posted at 5-16 20:59
You had full GPS for the whole flight - GPS health of 4 or 5 all the way.
Gentle GPS is indicating you were flying with APAS active.
For some reason the Verbose CSV won't open so I can't see what limits were active.

Hi, thanks for taking a look.

the aircraft is actually 3 cells but is interpreted as 4 cells so the total voltage was divided by 4, hence you see low voltage. trust me, i was flying with a more or less full battery, as evidence in the batt % column.

besides, there is no way an unmodded MAvic air 1/2 would fly with less than 3.5V.
edit- i have the mcdat records too, if that is a better log. can you educate me on what to look for?
2020-5-16
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

ok, i think i partially figured it out:

https://app.airdata.com/share/poVVXA/GENERALNotifications

here is a better view.

i started the motors or took off without the Fly app starting, hence the automatic setting of 30m limit.

however, as i fly and noticed this limitation sometime later (obviously) with the Fly app fully working, the altitude limit in the app was definitely set to a higher value. this did not get enforced or applied.
2020-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

lee82gx Posted at 5-16 22:11

It could be, although you were limited it’s not normally the way one would see this working. It could also be a change made by dji and not stated in the manual.
Maybe labroids can find something else in the logs, for me the limit 30m is always down to weak gps but with reception up as high as 4 I’m not 100% sure.
2020-5-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

lee82gx Posted at 5-16 22:11

i started the motors or took off without the Fly app starting, hence the automatic setting of 30m limit.

Top marks .. that's the correct explanation.
Not something you run into every day.

Start with the app and things should be back to normal.

2020-5-17
Use props
fansbc99ce0f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79941 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-17 04:49

Top marks .. that's the correct explanation.

Guys
Wonder if u can help, my MA2 on its first flight would not go more than 450-480 metres before I lost signal. On my second flight I put my phone into aeroplane mode. Managed to get just short of 800metres before lost signal. I have used this flight path many times before with my Mavic Zoom never had any issues. Any idea ?????????
2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbc99ce0f Posted at 5-17 06:20
Guys
Wonder if u can help, my MA2 on its first flight would not go more than 450-480 metres before I lost signal. On my second flight I put my phone into aeroplane mode. Managed to get just short of 800metres before lost signal. I have used this flight path many times before with my Mavic Zoom never had any issues. Any idea ?????????

Many things cause interference and it can happen at different times of the day. Putting phone into Airplane mode won’t help anything, your phone is not interfering with radio waves. But what happened second time out was you doubled the signal distance from 400/ to 800/ so this tells you they’re is interference on your route.
How you aim your Antennas will help , I have also noticed with Air2 antenna position that climbing in altitude helps a lot, prime signal coming from the top of antennas unlike back on older RC.

I also tested with M2P and it looked like I was getting further with it, but simply by aiming and increasing height I was getting similar distance.
I will also say area I flew in was rural, urban areas are not going to be as consistent as I explained above flying over urban areas in the morning should get you better reception or at least reception with less interference, flying in the evening when everyone is home and all appliances are going can effect signal.
2020-5-17
Use props
fansbc99ce0f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79941 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 06:36
Many things cause interference and it can happen at different times of the day. Putting phone into Airplane mode won’t help anything, your phone is not interfering with radio waves. But what happened second time out was you doubled the signal distance from 400/ to 800/ so this tells you they’re is interference on your route.
How you aim your Antennas will help , I have also noticed with Air2 antenna position that climbing in altitude helps a lot, prime signal coming from the top of antennas unlike back on older RC.

Thanks for reply

Feel a bit stupid asking but when you say point the antenna, do you mean on the Zoom or are you saying point the MA2 antenna as I thought they are built into the controller. (I feel dumb moment sorry) I actually live in the countryside I have nothing behind me for miles, I know there is no signal jammers etc in my area. So have ruled out that one. plus I was lead to believe that the new 3.0 was actually very stable. I think I can chuck the drone about 500m lol.  I did read in the manual about bluetooth & WiFI interfering that's why I put it in aeroplane mode to eliminate that one. Any other ideas??????
2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbc99ce0f Posted at 5-17 07:33
Thanks for reply

Feel a bit stupid asking but when you say point the antenna, do you mean on the Zoom or are you saying point the MA2 antenna as I thought they are built into the controller. (I feel dumb moment sorry) I actually live in the countryside I have nothing behind me for miles, I know there is no signal jammers etc in my area. So have ruled out that one. plus I was lead to believe that the new 3.0 was actually very stable. I think I can chuck the drone about 500m lol.  I did read in the manual about bluetooth & WiFI interfering that's why I put it in aeroplane mode to eliminate that one. Any other ideas??????

Antenna is in top bar above phone that’s what you need pointing towards the line of your craft . Not a dumb question.
2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansbc99ce0f Posted at 5-17 07:33
Thanks for reply

Feel a bit stupid asking but when you say point the antenna, do you mean on the Zoom or are you saying point the MA2 antenna as I thought they are built into the controller. (I feel dumb moment sorry) I actually live in the countryside I have nothing behind me for miles, I know there is no signal jammers etc in my area. So have ruled out that one. plus I was lead to believe that the new 3.0 was actually very stable. I think I can chuck the drone about 500m lol.  I did read in the manual about bluetooth & WiFI interfering that's why I put it in aeroplane mode to eliminate that one. Any other ideas??????

Bluetooth may interfere with video reception so yes you can turn off, but I found video reception really good.
2020-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules