Control with only phone?
7463 13 2020-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3360a453
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15564 ft
United States

Okay guys, I get that gesture control is not needed.  However I wanted to create a separate thread about controlling with the drone with JUST your phone.  I could think of a million reasons why this should be a must feature.  Anyone see this coming in a future update? For those times you don’t need to have the remote and want to take some quick nice photos.  Just being able to carry the mavic air 2 with me on a hike and not needing to add more weight would be ideal.  Any thoughts?  
2020-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t think it will come, I think in any drones it was available nobody used it and lots of particularly spark were lost because of lack of control. It’s extremely difficult to control with phone, you are also extremely limited in how far you can fly and what height you can reach, videoing was not good with phone and equally setting up photos not good either. You can fly without phone if that’s any good to you.
2020-5-16
Use props
mrkooks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42359 ft
Costa Rica

It is not possible..  MA2 uses Occusync 2.0.. and not WiFi as Mini or MA1..   that feature is  only possible with WiFi based drones.
2020-5-16
Use props
fans3360a453
lvl.1
United States

So there is absolutely no WiFi or Bluetooth connections on the drone at all?  They can’t even use proprietary software (the fly app) to connect to the mavic air 2?  So the consensus on this forum is that you should have to use a remote at all times no matter what the situation of the photo taking is? What if like I said you only need to fly in a 30-50 foot radius.  Why wouldn’t a phone be okay? If people fly their drone too far away with the phone isn’t that their fault? User error?
2020-5-16
Use props
mrkooks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42359 ft
Costa Rica

fans3360a453 Posted at 5-16 09:30
So there is absolutely no WiFi or Bluetooth connections on the drone at all?  They can’t even use proprietary software (the fly app) to connect to the mavic air 2?  So the consensus on this forum is that you should have to use a remote at all times no matter what the situation of the photo taking is? What if like I said you only need to fly in a 30-50 foot radius.  Why wouldn’t a phone be okay? If people fly their drone too far away with the phone isn’t that their fault? User error?

The thing is the wifi..  you can only control a drone with your phone via wifi, there is no other way..  Mavic Air 2 doesn't use WiFi ( thank god), so it is impossible for the MA2 to connect to a phone .. Occusync is a DJI thing, so no phone is capable of having it.   So the short answer is no, you can not and will never be able to do it with the MA2, it doesn't matter if you are at 1mt or 5000mts.
2020-5-16
Use props
fans3360a453
lvl.1
United States

They could make a dongle that connects to ur phone that connects it to the drone then.  If I was DJI, I would do that and sell em for like $100 a pop.  I bet they would sell like hot cakes.
2020-5-16
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I want to control the drone with just a phone, using Litchi.
2020-5-16
Use props
fans3360a453
lvl.1
United States

Well if I can’t get anything on my wish list can DJI at least make activetrack 3.0 follow me as good as it should?
2020-5-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Vlas Posted at 5-16 12:09
Personally I want to control the drone with just a phone, using Litchi.

It is never going to happen because your phone only has WiFi capability and relatively low powered transmission capability. The MA2 is not able to be controlled by WiFi.
2020-5-16
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-16 14:21
It is never going to happen because your phone only has WiFi capability and relatively low powered transmission capability. The MA2 is not able to be controlled by WiFi.

Unfortunately I agree.  In many situations I just need to set a waypoint mission and send the craft to do the rest. Works fine with the Air 1 and phone only combo with litchi still.
2020-5-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, sorry to tell that the drone is not able to support controlling via the mobile device only. Hope for your understanding.
2020-5-24
Use props
djiuser_AFy1XLFuLUDR
New

United States

fans3360a453 Posted at 2020-5-16 09:30
So there is absolutely no WiFi or Bluetooth connections on the drone at all?  They can’t even use proprietary software (the fly app) to connect to the mavic air 2?  So the consensus on this forum is that you should have to use a remote at all times no matter what the situation of the photo taking is? What if like I said you only need to fly in a 30-50 foot radius.  Why wouldn’t a phone be okay? If people fly their drone too far away with the phone isn’t that their fault? User error?

my mavic pro has that feature, there's a wifi switch on the drone it self, it's been awhile since I've tried it. seems like you only get ati mode, and are limited on distance and height. which obviously you should be where only using a Wi-Fi connection
2023-8-28
Use props
Gary Fytche
New

United Kingdom

I have just recently perchest my first drone a skyon v168 pro max.
On my first flight I connected my phone with WiFi to drone and took off fine but after just a short distance the connection was lost and the drone just hovered about 50 feet in the air and I had to walk really close as I could and reconnect WiFi to gain control  back.while connection was lost I tried to connect with the supplied controller but wouldn't...is the distance limited with just using the phone to connect.
3-18 00:04
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Gary Fytche Posted at 3-18 00:04
I have just recently perchest my first drone a skyon v168 pro max.
On my first flight I connected my phone with WiFi to drone and took off fine but after just a short distance the connection was lost and the drone just hovered about 50 feet in the air and I had to walk really close as I could and reconnect WiFi to gain control  back.while connection was lost I tried to connect with the supplied controller but wouldn't...is the distance limited with just using the phone to connect.

Hi, Gary Fytche. Regretfully, we can't answer your question as we only support DJI Drones. Please contact the manufacturer of your drone for this concern. Thank you for your kind understanding.
3-18 00:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules