For the purposes of CSC what constitute an emergency?
869 2 2020-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was having a play this evening intending to try a CSC with the vision sensors covered over and the drone only 3 or 4 inches of the floor. Obviously at that height the drone is on the floor before anything can really happen BUT the motors would not shut down until I released the joysticks from the CSC position. Concerned by this I then tried several CSC's whilst holding the drone in mid air and waggling it about, again the motors did not shut down until I released the joysticks from the CSC position and sometimes not even then.

Having a look in the App I see that the CSC is set by default to ''emergency only'', the manual mentions a mid air collision or stalled motor,  but it leaves me wondering how someone is meant to be assured that they can stop, say, a fly away if they have the the function set to ''emergency only''?
I changed the setting to ''anytime'' and sure enough I can shut down the motors whilst waggling the drone in mid air.

2020-5-16
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

I think I would leave it on emergency only and require the two steps, CSC and then release. Seems too easy while doing acrobatic flying to hit the CSC position and then stopping the motors accidentally. Stopping the motors wouldn't be typical anyways, unless the drone was out of control. Even if you find yourself unable to come back due to wind, you try a lower altitude, flying at an angle to the wind, or findinga. spot to land where it is. You wouldn't cut the motors.
2020-5-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Deucalion.
I agree that there are options such as controlled emergency landings but CSC is there for a reason and, should its use be needed, I am trying to establish the reasoning behind the ''emergency only'' option and how it is meant to be used. I agree that having the mid air shutdown option readily available is risky but, as yet, I haven't managed to accidentally trigger it with my P3. I have  done a mid air CSC with my P3 deliberately, as an experiment, and with height enough to recover but given the fold away props of the mini and without investigating the start up behaviour of the Mini I am un willing to try it with the Mini
This morning I tethered the mini to a ceiling light and 'launched' it then CSC'd it repeatedly. I know this does not exactly match trying it iin open air because once the tether is taut the drone does not descend .....but......

I found that in "emergency only" mode CSC has to be held for at least 5 seconds with the joystick then being released to trigger the stop. I also found that down-and-out seems to work better than down-and-in but maybe that is down to me.
In "anytime" mode CSC needs to be held for approximately two seconds to stop the motors and the joystick do not need to be released.
2020-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules