Upgrade
2223 23 2020-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NatureDigital
First Officer
Flight distance : 373002 ft
United States

Does anyone have advice for what I should upgrade to from the Mavic Mini?

Thanks!
2020-5-16
Use props
VLong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78799 ft
United States

Free of registration to faa to MM if you have part 107 than go for it with more features also just like everything else with bug fixes on first realeased.
2020-5-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mavic Air 2 is the next logical step or wait until the Mavic Pro 3.
2020-5-17
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.3
Flight distance : 235768 ft
Germany

It depends on what your priorities are.
Best video / picture quality + Lowlight ? -> Mavic Pro 2
Pretty much else: Mavic Air 2.

Obviously the Air 2 lacks some of the features the Pro 2 has, but for me these are minor differences (like additional Obstacle Avoidance) so it really comes down to what you expect from the camera.

BTW: I personally didn't have the chance to compare the Mini or the Air 2 to the Pro 2. What I can tell you however, is that the difference in image quality between the Mini and the Air 2 is very noticeable. (Just got the Air 2 yesterday) You'll notice 120 Mbit/s vs 40 Mbit/s and 4K instead of 2.7. Also the HDR feature makes photos so much better, if you are not shooting RAW.
It's not like the Mini is 'bad' (in fact it's an awesome piece of tech) but if you are flying regularly, you will appreciate the superior image quality.

Also the Air 2 can handle wind better and due to HDR it can handle difficult exposure scenarios pretty well. Basically you can fly almost every day except when it's raining or during a storm.
But as I said even the Air 2 has not the 'best' camera. It really struggles in low light and even some black areas get really noisy in daylight. I think the M2P handles this much better with the bigger sensor.
2020-5-17
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Mavic Pros aren't really an upgrade for Mavic Mini, the only real upgrade is the Mavic Air 2 which comes at a cost of requiring a license (most countries) and increased size, but has fewer limitations, more features, better camera (less noise, more dynamic range).
2020-5-17
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you need waypoint flight, zoom, or better low light, one of the Mavic 2 line. Otherwise MA2.
2020-5-17
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

Vlas Posted at 5-17 07:23
If you need waypoint flight, zoom, or better low light, one of the Mavic 2 line. Otherwise MA2.

Ok, thanks! I have heard really good things about the Mavic air 2
2020-5-18
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 5-17 02:48
Mavic Pros aren't really an upgrade for Mavic Mini, the only real upgrade is the Mavic Air 2 which comes at a cost of requiring a license (most countries) and increased size, but has fewer limitations, more features, better camera (less noise, more dynamic range).

You do realise the Mavic Air is their mid-range consumer drones and the pro's are above that. The MP2 sensor is much larger than the MA2...
2020-5-18
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

The Pro are too upmarket for a Mavic Mini buyer's logical perspective.

They're targeted at small professionals and prosumer users. They're much heavier, they require a license, they can inflict more damage if not properly handled, they're not as portable as a Mini, they require a much heftier investment and running cost. I'd rule them out completely as a Mavic Mini upgrade.

That's not to say it is impossibile, you may actually find people interested in this kind of upgrade, it's just lacking basic principles of rational logic. Would you advise any one to upgrade their Ford Fiesta to a Mercedes-Benz S Class ? I bet no...
But anyway... we know some people aren't exactly rational, and if they've got money to spend, they spend it... I tend to justify purchases otherwise (not based on price).
2020-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NatureDigital Posted at 5-18 14:57
Ok, thanks! I have heard really good things about the Mavic air 2

Air 2, you don’t need a license in any country but you will be required to register in most countries.
2020-5-18
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 00:50
Mavic Air 2 is the next logical step or wait until the Mavic Pro 3.

ok thanks!
2020-5-18
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-18 15:52
Air 2, you don’t need a license in any country but you will be required to register in most countries.

ok, that is very helpful to know. If you travel do you have to register in the country you are traveling in?
2020-5-18
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

m80116 Posted at 5-18 15:51

They're targeted at small professionals and prosumer users. They're much heavier, they require a license, they can inflict more damage if not properly handled, they're not as portable as a Mini, they require a much heftier investment and running cost. I'd rule them out completely as a Mavic Mini upgrade.

Ok, thanks for the help!
2020-5-18
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

deathsquad Posted at 5-18 15:16
You do realise the Mavic Air is their mid-range consumer drones and the pro's are above that. The MP2 sensor is much larger than the MA2...

Yes, I do. Thanks!
2020-5-18
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Not you mate, the guy I quoted seems to have no idea...
2020-5-18
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

You said the Pro's aren't an upgrade from the mini... which is incorrect.
2020-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2020-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

How wrong you are. The Mavic pro was djis biggest selling drone ever in 2016 and introduced more new drone flyers than any other drone ever. It was the smallest most portable drone on the market and although it had pro on the end of its name it was the drone for beginners.
2020-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NatureDigital Posted at 5-18 18:50
ok, that is very helpful to know. If you travel do you have to register in the country you are traveling in?

Coming from the US after July you’ll be flying under EASA rules in all of Europe so yes you will have to register it will be a nominal fee €10 or similar and you can the fly anywhere in Europe.
2020-5-19
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-19 00:54
Coming from the US after July you’ll be flying under EASA rules in all of Europe so yes you will have to register it will be a nominal fee €10 or similar and you can the fly anywhere in Europe.

ok thanks!!!
2020-5-19
Use props
ichan.id
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54183 ft
Indonesia

firstly, what do you want to achieve from the upgrade ?
2020-5-19
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

ichan.id Posted at 5-19 08:55
firstly, what do you want to achieve from the upgrade ?

Better camera quality because although the mini is good for its size, it is still lacking.
2020-5-19
Use props
ichan.id
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54183 ft
Indonesia

NatureDigital Posted at 5-19 09:28
Better camera quality because although the mini is good for its size, it is still lacking.

yup, mavic mini is very entry level AC which aims for you to become familiar with the characteristics of DJI products. So when you want an upgrade, you're not so far enough to learn it's characteristic.

below is your choice

2020-5-19
Use props
NatureDigital
First Officer
United States

ichan.id Posted at 5-19 09:41
yup, mavic mini is very entry level AC which aims for you to become familiar with the characteristics of DJI products. So when you want an upgrade, you're not so far enough to learn it's characteristic.

below is your choice

Ok, thanks so much!
2020-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules