Video only 6 Minuten
4044 31 2020-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VictorMa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4823 ft
Mexico

Hello, can samebody help me? My Osmo Pocket is saving only 6 minutes of Movie.every 6 minutes he make a New Movie.everything is here..
How can i make a movie whitout cuting every 6 minutes.
Thank you.
Victor
2020-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did this issue just start, or has it been occuring a while?  I had it happen to me and it turns out it was that the SD card went bad.
2020-5-17
Use props
VictorMa
lvl.1
Mexico

I See it know i Never make a Video over 6minutes.
2020-5-17
Use props
VictorMa
lvl.1
Mexico

The videos ar perfect and continuas ohne to the another , but if i make a video i want it all, one time, not 5 videos in 6 minutes each
2020-5-17
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

What size are each segment.
2020-5-17
Use props
VictorMa
lvl.1
Mexico

The size i dont know, i was angry and delete everything 2 days ago. Gut every video was 6 minutes
2020-5-17
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Not sure, but I think that there's a file size limit. When that limit is reached, it will continue with a new file to save the footage.
2020-5-17
Use props
VictorMa
lvl.1
Mexico

I will delete today My Card and After the i will try again
2020-5-17
Use props
VictorMa
lvl.1
Mexico

I will update this post in 2 houers
2020-5-17
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

CasualDronePilot Posted at 5-17 08:18
Not sure, but I think that there's a file size limit. When that limit is reached, it will continue with a new file to save the footage.

There is a 4gb limit but 6minutes shouldn’t hit that unless the bitrate is really high.
2020-5-17
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

Just checked the pockets specs and it records at max of 100mbps so yeah at that rate you will hit the limit and get 6 minute segments.
2020-5-17
Use props
VictorMa
lvl.1
Mexico

To be onest this is a ..., nowhere is this saying at dji. So that means i never can make a video more then 6 minutes
2020-5-17
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

VictorMa Posted at 5-17 09:01
To be onest this is a ..., nowhere is this saying at dji. So that means i never can make a video more then 6 minutes

If you just import the clips in each video into a video editor it will just treat it as one video. No need to worry.
2020-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

This is the way many, or even most, video devices work due to file size limitations.
2020-5-17
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

This is, unfortunately how the OP works... (and just to note, it is not how MOST video devices work - off the half dozen or so video recoridng devices I have that record to SD cards the OP is the only one that does this! And that's not counting phones which also do not have this issue. ON eof these device sis actually about 5 years old - a Hyundai ScreenLense - and even that doesn't segement files despite recording at 1080p).

I read about this bfeore buying my OP and figured I could get around it as the type of material I will be shooting will either be shorter than the 6-7 minutes segment time or not particularly audio critical.

What does audio critical have to do with it? Well, the threads I read about this elsewhere before buying the OP were complaining that while the video is seemeless between these clip segments, there is actually a very slight audio dropout between them. This mean that where people were recorindg music or other audio critical sequences the footage was next to useless. This audio gap was of the order of a couple of frames, so in most situation would be hardly noticeable. (I'll see if I can find those discussions - but this was about 8 or 9 months ago.)

There are a few posts on here where people have used the OP to record classical concerts start to end and I didn't see any mention of the audio problem from those users, so maybe it has been fixed in one of the firmware updates (I haven't had a chance to test this myself), but the file segmentation is just a characteristic of this device.
2020-5-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 5-18 01:54
This is, unfortunately how the OP works... (and just to note, it is not how MOST video devices work - off the half dozen or so video recoridng devices I have that record to SD cards the OP is the only one that does this! And that's not counting phones which also do not have this issue. ON eof these device sis actually about 5 years old - a Hyundai ScreenLense - and even that doesn't segement files despite recording at 1080p).

I read about this bfeore buying my OP and figured I could get around it as the type of material I will be shooting will either be shorter than the 6-7 minutes segment time or not particularly audio critical.

On a continuous recording, once the segments are imported to an editor, there is what appears to be a short couple of frames of audio missing but grabbing the end of the audio section of the file recovers the missing segment.
At least that is what I have found. It may also have something to do with the audio being roughly four frames behind the video section of the file.
  I wouldn't personally be recording concerts with this with a mono output anyway.

Ray.
2020-5-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Might be the formatting of the SD card.
2020-5-18
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-18 06:58
On a continuous recording, once the segments are imported to an editor, there is what appears to be a short couple of frames of audio missing but grabbing the end of the audio section of the file recovers the missing segment.
At least that is what I have found. It may also have something to do with the audio being roughly four frames behind the video section of the file.
  I wouldn't personally be recording concerts with this with a mono output anyway.

Thanks for confirming Ray - I knew I'd read it somewhere but haven't been able to find where.

I will also have a play in my various NLEs to see if the 'missing' audio can be recovered, but I am also not likley to be filming concerts with the OP.

For me, the OP lends itself more to the kind of shots that are not necessarily going to be longer than a couple of minutes each and/or are not particularly audio dependent.

That said, the 10 minute paragliding fllght that I filmed on the OP back in February was wheer I first encountered the segmented recording for myself, so the first thing I cut from OP footage was from a longer than 6min shot!
2020-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 5-20 01:51
Thanks for confirming Ray - I knew I'd read it somewhere but haven't been able to find where.

I will also have a play in my various NLEs to see if the 'missing' audio can be recovered, but I am also not likley to be filming concerts with the OP.

Hi.
I don't understand people who say most cameras do not do this breaking up of files. All of mine do. Even my cameras that can take really large memory cards. They don't suffer from missing audio at the breaks though. I'm with you though. I rarely shoot longer than four to five minutes of footage at  a time and for serious audio I'd want a stereo soundtrack at least. I only use 64 gig cards in the Osmo Pocket anyway. Some people must have a lot of spare storage space. I'm up to 12TB of footage and I find that frighting enough, let alone backup
Ray.  
2020-5-21
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-21 10:20
Hi.
I don't understand people who say most cameras do not do this breaking up of files. All of mine do. Even my cameras that can take really large memory cards. They don't suffer from missing audio at the breaks though. I'm with you though. I rarely shoot longer than four to five minutes of footage at  a time and for serious audio I'd want a stereo soundtrack at least. I only use 64 gig cards in the Osmo Pocket anyway. Some people must have a lot of spare storage space. I'm up to 12TB of footage and I find that frighting enough, let alone backup
Ray.

This is the camera I use for 'action' footage.

I give this as an example as it is 4K, small form factor etc (as opposed to a large format, professional video camera).

I've had this camera for about four years or so now and while it has some glaring f/w ommissions (not recording altitude in the GPS log for an action camera is pretty unforgivable! Especially when alt is recorded in stills!) BUT it does not segment files.

My old 'action cam' - a really rather rubbish Hyundai Screen Lens - also did not segment files.

The only time I have found a camera to segment files was when it was loop recording such as a dashcam - incidentally, the Sony linked above can also be set into a loop record mode which segments files in this way, but this is so that it can rotate files in storage by deleting teh oldest to achieve the loop recording. When recording normally the files do not segment.
2020-5-22
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

Here’s an article explaining
Fat 32 file size limits, ExFat supports  larger file sizes but is dependent on the card and what your using it on https://integralmemory.com/faq/what-are-differences-between-fat16-fat32-and-exfat-file-systems
2020-5-22
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 5-22 04:29
Here’s an article explaining
Fat 32 file size limits, ExFat supports  larger file sizes but is dependent on the card and what your using it on https://integralmemory.com/faq/what-are-differences-between-fat16-fat32-and-exfat-file-systems

I've just had a quick look through my rushes from last year from my FDR-X3000 and have files up to 7.9GB.

That is recording on the same type of card I have in the OP.

So the file size limit / file segmentation is an OP thing even if it is down to the card formatting choice that DJI have made.

Not unique to the OP, from the reports here, but still not a necessity either and coudl have been designed out.

2020-5-22
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 5-22 07:20
I've just had a quick look through my rushes from last year from my FDR-X3000 and have files up to 7.9GB.

That is recording on the same type of card I have in the OP.

They must be defaulting everything to Fat32, pretty poor if they are as exfat has been around for ages. I don’t have the pocket to check. I wonder I& it shows on the pockets specs page, will have a look.
2020-5-22
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 5-22 07:20

That is recording on the same type of card I have in the OP.

Just checked and they do format as exfat on 64gb cards or larger so I’m assuming the Original poster is using a 32gb card.
2020-5-22
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 5-22 07:43
Just checked and they do format as exfat on 64gb cards or larger so I’m assuming the Original poster is using a 32gb card.

And yet still only record 6min segments... I have a 128GB card in my OP and it's segmenting.
2020-5-22
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 5-22 08:16
And yet still only record 6min segments... I have a 128GB card in my OP and it's segmenting.

Have you tried changing it to ExFat on your computer before using it.
2020-5-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 5-22 08:44
Have you tried changing it to ExFat on your computer before using it.

If you format the card on a computer it may no longer work in the Osmo Pocket. Sometimes the hidden partition gets formatted with the directory structure for the card. Best to only ever format a card in the device it is used in.

ray.
2020-5-22
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-22 10:53
If you format the card on a computer it may no longer work in the Osmo Pocket. Sometimes the hidden partition gets formatted with the directory structure for the card. Best to only ever format a card in the device it is used in.

ray.

I’ve had sd cards since they invented them and used them across multiple devices, phones,  cameras, action cams, camcorders, audio devices and have never once had a problem formatting in my computer.
2020-5-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 5-22 11:57
I’ve had sd cards since they invented them and used them across multiple devices, phones,  cameras, action cams, camcorders, audio devices and have never once had a problem formatting in my computer.

Excellent, but you can find old posts on this forum where people have had just those problems.

Ray
2020-5-23
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-23 09:20
Excellent, but you can find old posts on this forum where people have had just those problems.

Ray

Not disputing it happens just saying it’s not something that’s very common, after all stuff happens that’s why I keep multiple backups cos you never know when it’s going to hit the fan.
2020-5-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AlanHd Posted at 5-23 09:41
Not disputing it happens just saying it’s not something that’s very common, after all stuff happens that’s why I keep multiple backups cos you never know when it’s going to hit the fan.

I don't disagree but that is the problem. It happens so infrequently it's a shock when it does. It's why I always use a second memory card slot for backup on my main cameras. Only needed it once in ten years of heavy usage. I think the other problem is a few people seem to buy the cheapest cards they can find that seem to work.
2020-5-23
Use props
djiuser_GXRp6SeRS0HH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74406 ft

Is this splitting of the video ever going to be fixed?
2020-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules