Return to Home Accuracy
4010 9 2020-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So this is my first drone. I flew it yesterday just practicing basic stuff. I tried Return to Home and it landed 10+ feet from the take off spot. Why is that? Thanks.
2020-5-17
Use props
Naidu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17792 ft
United States

Try to recalibrate your compass and when you take off hvwer on the take of spot for few seconds.
2020-5-17
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.

So I read on this forum -  "Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to. Your compass will always prompt to calibrate if it needs it"

I'm confused...

2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You don’t need to calibrate compass. First wait for good gps 10 or above, take off directly above take off point, wait until you here homepoint has been detected. If you fly any distance from homepoint before it’s logged then you will have the problems you had, Air2 should land within 3 feet to be safe but usually inches of where it took off.
2020-5-17
Use props
BoomTIP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12162 ft
United States

How far were you when you initiated RTH?  According to the manual, if you’re within 5m (~16.5 feet) of the home point, it’ll land immediately.  And keep in mind your home point is probably accurate to a few feet, so you could easily land immediately in a 20 foot radius to your home point.  
2020-5-17
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you!!!
2020-5-17
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 09:11
You don’t need to calibrate compass. First wait for good gps 10 or above, take off directly above take off point, wait until you here homepoint has been detected. If you fly any distance from homepoint before it’s logged then you will have the problems you had, Air2 should land within 3 feet to be safe but usually inches of where it took off.

Thank you!!!
2020-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

pjglad Posted at 5-17 08:41
Thanks.

So I read on this forum -  "Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to. Your compass will always prompt to calibrate if it needs it"

I'm confused...
You'll find lots of people on drone forums suggest calibrating the compass to solve anything they don't understand .. even when it has nothing to do with the compass.
Ignore them.

As long as your drone flies straight and hovers in place, you don't need to recalibrate the compass.

RTH uses GPS to return to home and GPS is not pinpoint accurate.
It's usually going to be within six feet or so but can sometimes be 10 feet or even more.
That's just how consumer GPS is.

The Air 2 also has a Precision Landing feature that (if it's enabled and used properly), will autoland after RTH within an inch of the home point.
Precision Landing uses optical technology.
You can read about it and how to use it on p15 of the Air 2 manual:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200511/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf
2020-5-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, please try what the Hallmark007 suggested on 4#,  take off from a surface with clear patterns and texture, fly up to more than 7 meters directly above the take-off point before you fly away from the take-off point.
2020-5-18
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I remember correctly, return to home is not intimated until the drone is about 65+ feet out. If it’s less than that it will land.
2020-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules