Video corruption at 4k 60FPS
2594 19 2020-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdda2a2d4
lvl.1
United States

I'm getting corrupted videos whenever i record 4k 60FPS .MP4 on the latest v01.00.0130 firmware. This happens regardless if I record to my SanDisk Extreme UHS3 A2 128GB or to the internal 8GB storage. Once the videos are downloaded they show corruption artifacts and stutter horribly regardless of playback software. I'll attach a screengrab of playback through VLC. I have not seen any other issues with other pictures or video resolution/FPS. Any suggestions?

sample corruption

sample corruption
2020-5-17
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I suspect it’s a problem with your computer and not the recording. Do you have access to another system that you can try to play the file on? If not, can you upload a sample problematic file somewhere?
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-17 16:34
I suspect it’s a problem with your computer and not the recording. Do you have access to another system that you can try to play the file on? If not, can you upload a sample problematic file somewhere?

Sure, here's a sample file (heads up it's 1GB)

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0QgISqCvaFo9l5gsv46Yf1gYQ#DJI_0005
2020-5-17
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

Plays fine for me. Your flying in your house. use the VLC player. Its free.
2020-5-17
Use props
djiuser_1dm5vDOJHBtV
lvl.1

United States

It's the h.265 codec. Your computer can't handle it
2020-5-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

melodicskys Posted at 5-17 17:06
Sure, here's a sample file (heads up it's 1GB)

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0QgISqCvaFo9l5gsv46Yf1gYQ#DJI_0005

I tried several times to download a copy but it kept failing. I would question how you are getting the file from the aircraft to your computer, are you downloading it to an iPhone to get it there? In particular, getting it off the internal storage.
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

Mr. Motta Posted at 5-17 17:34
Plays fine for me. Your flying in your house. use the VLC player. Its free.

I am using VLC and I have played other .265 content just fine. My iPhone takes 4k 60FPS in .265 and they all play back without any issue. You had no visual artifacts or stuttering during playback?
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-17 18:01
I tried several times to download a copy but it kept failing. I would question how you are getting the file from the aircraft to your computer, are you downloading it to an iPhone to get it there? In particular, getting it off the internal storage.

When I used the SD card i pulled it out and downloaded the file directly to my computer through the SD card reader slot (not going through a program, just Finder to copy the file). For the internal storage I just hook up the aircraft over USB and it shows up in Finder as another storage device like a removable flash drive. Copied the file to my local SSD for playback.
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone for their help so far... I just transferred the same file to my iPhone and it plays back without any issue. I wonder if my H.265 codec has an issue on my iMac? the CPU only hits about 60% when trying to playback from VLC, but I see issues in other apps like built in Preview and Adobe Premiere. It's just so weird because I shoot and edit 4k 60FPS from my iPhone in .265 on my iMac all the time without issue, but these files out of the Mavic Air 2 are giving me trouble.
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

I just looked up the bitrate for iPhone 11 Pro 4k @ 60fps and it's only 54Mbps... Mavic Air 2 is 120Mbps... maybe my iMac can't handle decoding at that bitrate?
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

I just learned that even though my iMac is 4.0Ghz, it's based on Haswell 4th generation Core processor that does not include hardware assisted HEVC decoding. That didn't come out until Skylake, the 6th generation Core processor that seems to be what the issue is.. the high bitrate of these videos is too much for my computer to handle...
2020-5-17
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

For editing that shouldn't be a problem if you transcode to a less demanding codec. So the recordings are actually good, they just can't be played back in realtime in the original codec.
2020-5-17
Use props
embe71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3353 ft
Germany

Yep, transcode in Prores and you're fine.
2020-5-17
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

melodicskys Posted at 5-17 18:48
I am using VLC and I have played other .265 content just fine. My iPhone takes 4k 60FPS in .265 and they all play back without any issue. You had no visual artifacts or stuttering during playback?

Nothing. Played perfectly.
2020-5-17
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I'm able to play the file full-screen and without issues on a system I originally built in 2010 with an Intel i7 980X processor running at 3.3 GHz. There is only about 15% CPU utilization, but at the same time there is 38% GPU utilization since Windows Media Player is able to offload the HEVC decoding to the video card. There may be a way to enable GPU-accelerated HEVC decoding on your iMac system.
2020-5-17
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-17 20:32
I'm able to play the file full-screen and without issues on a system I originally built in 2010 with an Intel i7 980X processor running at 3.3 GHz. There is only about 15% CPU utilization, but at the same time there is 38% GPU utilization since Windows Media Player is able to offload the HEVC decoding to the video card. There may be a way to enable GPU-accelerated HEVC decoding on your iMac system.

What graphics card are you using? My iMac uses a AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB.
According to this site I missed the HW accelerated decoding by a year: https://techidaily.com/which-macs-support-hevc/
2020-5-17
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

The graphics card is pretty old as well, a NVIDIA Geforce 660Ti.
2020-5-17
Use props
djiuser_mn2S7REFJ3ma
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have a similar problem. The h.265 coding is the issue for me. Really need Dji to support 4k 60fps at h.264 like it is on my iPhone!
2020-5-18
Use props
melodicskys
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_mn2S7REFJ3ma Posted at 5-18 02:36
I have a similar problem. The h.265 coding is the issue for me. Really need Dji to support 4k 60fps at h.264 like it is on my iPhone!

I transcoded it to H.264, kept 4k @ 60FPS and 120Mbps bitrate and it's playing back fine on my computer now. It would be nice to have more granular selection of codec and max bitrates in the settings of the app, but on the other hand I've been wanting to refresh my computer so this is likely the thing that will push me to do so before the year is over.
2020-5-18
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

djiuser_mn2S7REFJ3ma Posted at 5-18 02:36
I have a similar problem. The h.265 coding is the issue for me. Really need Dji to support 4k 60fps at h.264 like it is on my iPhone!

The iPhone doesn't shoot at 120Mbps. The H.265 codec is much more efficient than H.264, it's not just a matter of which codec DJI chose for this. There's a reason they support other video formats to H.264 but not the full 4k60@120Mbps one.
2020-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules