Crashed MA2 on first flight, what to check ?
1039 10 2020-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37923 ft
France

Got my MA2 on Friday & went out to test it Sunday. All went well until I prepared to land. At the hight of approx 3-4 meters my MA2 was suddenly attacked by a bird (just saw a fast grey flash hitting my drone); which felt out off the sky and into a not too rigid bush smoothening the impact. I got 2x lucky as the drone hit the bush with the back first , so Gimbal & camera looked protected. I switched off the drone and checked it over carefully, seeing. only a slight scratch mark in the middle of one back leg. 3 out of 4 propellers are impacted / 2x with cuts and one even broke the propeller plastic notch for holding the prop in the motor, so I changed all four.

I switched the drone on again .. no error messages & gimbal acts normal, I took a quick test flight and drone is stable in the air ... no shaking or unusual hoover; gimbal is reacting to gimbal up & down commands

Is there anything else I should check ??? I assume if one of the back legs would be bend I would see it when flying .. as it folds correctly ?

Thanks for any suggestion

PS .. the drone was lying in the bush after impact and continued to cut leaves,  the motors did not stop on impact even as the props were blocked / could not turn as stopped by branches.
I recall that my mini stopped the motors directly after an impact with a bush, is there a setting for the emergency stop I should double-check? Currently, motor stop is on emergency only in app

A (very lucky) Bjoern

2020-5-17
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

wow... lucky you are
2020-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like you didn't wait for at least 11 satellites but if you upload your log here we might be able to help determine what happened - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/
2020-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

motor stop is on emergency only means you have to do a CSC to stop the motors.
2020-5-18
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fortunately you recovered the drone.
2020-5-18
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
France

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 01:14
Sounds like you didn't wait for at least 11 satellites but if you upload your log here we might be able to help determine what happened - http://phantomhelp.com/logviewer/

I had  13 satellites and is was after 15 min flying .. a bird crashed into it while landing ...
2020-5-18
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
France

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 01:18
motor stop is on emergency only means you have to do a CSC to stop the motors.

I thought there is a sensor that stops the motor when a emergency / impact is recorded ?
2020-5-18
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.3
France

here is what I mean, the flight logs shows that the motor is blocked after hitting the bush .. but the drone did not stop the motors even if the props could not turn until I switched the craft off. I thought there is a sensor that when an impact is recorded the motors are stopped automatically? The sensor blockage was due to a leaf.. no error messages whatsoever after chaning props & restart the drone ;..... puuuuhhh !!!
2020-5-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 01:18
motor stop is on emergency only means you have to do a CSC to stop the motors.

I stand to be corrected but the motors should stop when the drone turns upside down or it detects an impact.
2020-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well I suppose you were lucky and unlucky. Not nice but sounds like everything could be ok. Problem from impacts is usually IMU gets knocked out of kilter , not as bad as the old days when the least impact would cause problems.
If it was me I would preform an IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.
To preform IMU you should leave drone outside for 30/60 minutes to become accustomed to outside flying temperatures, it doesn’t need to be switched on, a cold room will do. Then preform IMU on a flat LEVEL surface use spirit level if needed. It’s a pretty simple exercise.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment.
2020-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 5-18 11:33
I stand to be corrected but the motors should stop when the drone turns upside down or it detects an impact.

Yes flipping the drone upside will kill the motors, but that can be easier said than done with the Pro series.
2020-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules