5180 44 2020-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Hey guys,

So I finally received my Air 2 today and after charging the 1st battery up to 100% I noticed it had a very slight swollen belly. I compared it to the other two in my FMC and it very clearly was not sitting as straight on the table as the other two. I then charged the 2nd battery up to 100% and the same thing happened. I didn't charge the 3rd one yet, will do it tomorrow, but is this normal?
2020-5-21
Use props
Coheavand
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183051 ft
Singapore

Mine's the same. I guess the batteries swell slightly when the cells are being filled up.
2020-5-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be very CAREFUL with that!!

1-  Be sure for the first couple flights ( low and close ) that once you land they aren't MORE swollen.

2- Cycle at least 3 times ( low and close ) before doing any fancy long distance flights, or 400ft flights.

If they continue to be swollen, rounded and don't fit perfectly in the AC, then return them for replacement.

Randy
2020-5-21
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Do not use it. See also here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2163714
2020-5-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DaMa Posted at 5-21 22:07
Do not use it. See also here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=215886&page=1#pid2163714

Thanks. They are nothing like that, it’s a very slight belly mine have. The thing that made me think is that many people are reporting the exact same thing and I got the same situation with 2 out of 2. It would really be good if a moderator could pitch in here.
2020-5-21
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

UPDATE: checked the two swollen batteries from last night and overnight they went back to normal. I'm now charging the 3rd battery to see if this exact pattern happens again. This might be their normal behavior...
2020-5-22
Use props
Coheavand
lvl.2
Singapore

Likewise, they go perfectly flat after a flight!
2020-5-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ice_2k. I'm glad to know that your batteries went back to normal.  Slightly swelling of the battery is normal after charging. Please let it under static status for 24 hours, if the problem still exists please sent us a photo or video for further diagnosis. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2020-5-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-22 00:29
Hi, Ice_2k. I'm glad to know that your batteries went back to normal.  Slightly swelling of the battery is normal after charging. Please let it under static status for 24 hours, if the problem still exists please sent us a photo or video for further diagnosis. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thank you. Quick follow-up question: I suppose it's ok to fly them while in this slightly swollen state, correct? I don't expect I normally need to wait 24 hours to fly them.
2020-5-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The battery design changed to have a metal clip, this makes a contact when the battery is inserted so that if there is any swelling you'll get notified.
2020-5-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 01:39
The battery design changed to have a metal clip, this makes a contact when the battery is inserted so that if there is any swelling you'll get notified.

yeah, i know, the swollen part is nowhere near big enough to cause any sort of mount issues. Hope it stays that way.
2020-5-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 5-22 01:47
yeah, i know, the swollen part is nowhere near big enough to cause any sort of mount issues. Hope it stays that way.

Fingers crossed for you.  
2020-5-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 02:01
Fingers crossed for you.

thanks, man!
2020-5-22
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Playing with fire... If DJI says that, then it will be right ... I do not use such batteries in a 1000 Euro drone. My Air is coming today, let's see how the batteries are ... The right one is a "Kokam", more than 12 Years old, nothing is swollen.
IMG_4693.JPG
2020-5-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DaMa Posted at 5-22 02:15
Playing with fire... If DJI says that, then it will be right ... I do not use such batteries in a 1000 Euro drone. My Air is coming today, let's see how the batteries are ... The right one is a "Kokam", more than 12 Years old, nothing is swollen.

since all 3 batteries in the FMC behaved in the exact same way, I'm assuming it's normal... seems unlikely to get 3 defective batteries....
2020-5-22
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 5-22 02:19
since all 3 batteries in the FMC behaved in the exact same way, I'm assuming it's normal... seems unlikely to get 3 defective batteries....

Let's see how mine looks, but I only get 2, the second maybe tomorrow ...
2020-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s very slight mine are the same, but it’s nothing like swelling we’ve seen in M2 batteries. I don’t know if it was in batteries before I charged them , I’ve now charged them twice and one has been charged 3 times.
I tried to take photo but they just look perfect in photo. Might need to be watched but they look ok .
2020-5-22
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 5-22 02:19

If that's what you mean, it should be normal. Mine are charged but not flown, rain ... Empty they looked the same.
IMG_4698.JPG
2020-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DaMa Posted at 5-22 06:29
If that's what you mean, it should be normal. Mine are charged but not flown, rain ... Empty they looked the same.

Mine are the same as that, exactly the same.
2020-5-22
Use props
Coheavand
lvl.2
Singapore

Mine as well!
2020-5-22
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Seems like the one or more of the cells has gassed.  The gas won't go away and the swelling will only get worse every charge/discharge cycle.  Keep an eye on them and let us know.
2020-5-22
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Ice_2k Posted at 5-22 00:14
UPDATE: checked the two swollen batteries from last night and overnight they went back to normal. I'm now charging the 3rd battery to see if this exact pattern happens again. This might be their normal behavior...

you probably overfilled the batteries with to many electrons
2020-5-22
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

Droneflier Posted at 5-22 09:47
you probably overfilled the batteries with to many electrons

All jokes aside, that sure does not look right, I hope DJI gives you some feed back soon. I know people complained about the Mavic 2 batteries doing the same thing after a couple of charges.

2020-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Droneflier Posted at 5-22 09:50
All jokes aside, that sure does not look right, I hope DJI gives you some feed back soon. I know people complained about the Mavic 2 batteries doing the same thing after a couple of charges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnSJrST3yg

They’re nothing like that .
2020-5-22
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Now you put us a worm in our head. The inner life would be interesting, let's see when the first open one will be shown. It may not be the cell ... I definitely keep an eye on that. I have various LiPos, they all feel like a brick ...
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve had the same issue on one of my M2P batteries.
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 5-22 01:47

I hope so. Happy flying!
2020-5-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DaMa Posted at 5-22 06:29

Yup, that looks about right, same as mine
2020-5-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Coheavand Posted at 5-21 18:53
Mine's the same. I guess the batteries swell slightly when the cells are being filled up.

"Mine's the same. I guess the batteries swell slightly when the cells are being filled up."

Electrons need space.  Thus when charged, batteries have to expand.

2020-5-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-22 01:39

But will it warn Pilot if battery has swollen enough to where battery clamps could pop loose in flight, causing battery to fall loose, and drone lose power?
2020-5-22
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just checked and measured mine with a digital caliper. two are at 100% and one is 40% as shipped. I saw no difference in dimensions and the bottoms are flat. Perhaps after it cools it returns to normal?
2020-5-22
Use props
Stoney.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1439265 ft
United States

I wouldn't sweat it much mine were a little swollen when I received mine and I have flown it like 25 times. Although they don't even get near that 34 min flight time lol my best is 27.
2020-5-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

GaryDoug Posted at 5-22 20:19
I just checked and measured mine with a digital caliper. two are at 100% and one is 40% as shipped. I saw no difference in dimensions and the bottoms are flat. Perhaps after it cools it returns to normal?

Yes, they seem to get back to normal by the next day
2020-5-23
Use props
tbhausen
lvl.2
United States

Might always be best to let them cool completely for a few hours before flying, and don’t discharge them completely. I’m going to run mine down to no less than 20% remaining.

When I charged mine initially, I saw a very slight change in shape as noted here, but they returned to their normal shape upon cooling. I think a very slight dimensional change such as this is nothing to be concerned about as long as they return to their normal, flat shape once completely cooled to ambient temperature.
2020-5-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-22 16:43
But will it warn Pilot if battery has swollen enough to where battery clamps could pop loose in flight, causing battery to fall loose, and drone lose power?

thats right. its a nice little addition.
2020-5-25
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

i also have same problem. The battery that come with the MA2 also little bit swollen ( this is 2nd time charge ). The other 2 units battery are normal shape.
2020-5-25
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

batteries should not be swollen if it does then something is wrong.
one of my m2p battery ,manufactured in Aug 2018 ,was the first one i found swollen after few charges.
I didn't know that how dangerous could be using the battery in this condition and was forcing to sit it and just by chance  i found out  after a short flight, faulty battery almost detached from the drone.
don't fool yourself if the swollen battery has back to normal.
return it to dji  if still in warranty period ( 6 months or after xx charge ;which one comes earlier)  
2020-5-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ice_2k Posted at 5-22 01:19
Thank you. Quick follow-up question: I suppose it's ok to fly them while in this slightly swollen state, correct? I don't expect I normally need to wait 24 hours to fly them.

Please let it under static status first for about 24 hours then you can now fly using that battery. Thank you for your support!
2020-5-30
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-30 15:50
Please let it under static status first for about 24 hours then you can now fly using that battery. Thank you for your support!

Isnt’t this a warranty issue? Having to wait 24hours between charging and using the battery doesn’t seem like normal bebavior.
2020-5-30
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Hopefully this is a new battery / break-in thing and it will go away... If not, I also think you should be entitled to a replacement.
2020-5-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules