Quick Question
1026 26 2020-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

My Mavic Air Fly More Combo arrived yesterday.  I charged all 3 batteries individually usng the charger (not the charging hub).  I charged the controller so I am ready to go.  However, I have not started it yet because I want to know if it is ok to turn it on and let the Fly More app and let the app update the firmware OR should I use DJI assistant to update everything.  I thought I read somewhere that there are issues with the Fly More App updating things.  Also are there any other glitches with the Fly More app that I should know about before I start flying it today.

Any info would be apprecited.

Bill
2020-5-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I myself have never used Dji Assistant and only do all my updates through the app.
If your updating the original MA I believe you use the DJI Go4 app.
2020-5-22
Use props
RolandSchlangen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17861 ft
Netherlands

it doesn't matter; either updating using the DJI Fly app or DJI Assistant will be fine
2020-5-22
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

I updated using the Fly More app, and haven't had an issue.
2020-5-22
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

I would try it out of the box, with a factory flash and see how it goes.
If it's not broken, leave it alone.
2020-5-22
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 5-22 05:57

cool thanks a lot
2020-5-22
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 5-22 05:57

ok great thanks
2020-5-22
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Issues with the updating via the fly app were on the Mini for the .500 firmware update ended up having to use the assistant app in that instance but for the Air 2 all update via the fly app have been fine to date
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I used the iOS version of DJI Fly to update the MA2 firmware. However, I found that it would not update the firmware in the batteries. I powered up the MA2 with all three batteries and did a firmware check using DJI Fly, and it reported that everything was up-to-date. A day later I installed DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and when it connected to the MA2 it reported that an update was needed due to compatibility issues. It did this with two of the three batteries from my Fly More Combo.
2020-5-22
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-22 08:19
I used the iOS version of DJI Fly to update the MA2 firmware. However, I found that it would not update the firmware in the batteries. I powered up the MA2 with all three batteries and did a firmware check using DJI Fly, and it reported that everything was up-to-date. A day later I installed DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and when it connected to the MA2 it reported that an update was needed due to compatibility issues. It did this with two of the three batteries from my Fly More Combo.

Did you charge the batteries individually to all of them together on the hub?
2020-5-22
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

NitemareTrainer Posted at 5-22 09:35
Did you charge the batteries individually to all of them together on the hub?

Do not use the hub to start with. Individually charge each battery using the charger only before using the hub, this is the proper way to activate the batteries.
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

NitemareTrainer Posted at 5-22 09:35
Did you charge the batteries individually to all of them together on the hub?

I did the initial charge individually. Once all batteries were activated I powered up the MA2 with each of the batteries and did a firmware check. DJI Fly did not report any further available firmware updates after the initial update for the MA2 itself.
2020-5-22
Use props
djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
United States

I updated the MA2 through the iOS app. I charged each battery separately. I put each battery into the MA2 and checked for firmware update through the iOS app, there were no updates.
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always use the app to update firmware on all my drones. I have never had issues with it.
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-22 10:49
I did the initial charge individually. Once all batteries were activated I powered up the MA2 with each of the batteries and did a firmware check. DJI Fly did not report any further available firmware updates after the initial update for the MA2 itself.

I updated the firmware on all batteries. I had to exit the app each time I installed each battery to find the firmware update.
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I didn't do that, but I would have thought powering down the MA2, swapping batteries and re-connecting to the MA2 would have been sufficient.
2020-5-22
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-22 11:48
I didn't do that, but I would have thought powering down the MA2, swapping batteries and re-connecting to the MA2 would have been sufficient.

I am a newbie. I know there is firmware for the drone and the controller. I did not know there is firmware for the batteries. I have read the manual and have watched MANY YouTube videos and there is no mention of battery firmware. I am confused!!!
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

The batteries aren't just dumb electricity storage devices, they have built-in firmware to manage the batteries, report their status to the Mavic Air 2, and optimize the health of the batteries. One aspect that you should be aware of is that the batteries will automatically start discharging themselves to a storage level if you charge them and then don't fly with the batteries for several days. So if you fully charge the batteries but don't get to fly this weekend because of lousy weather and expect to have fully charged batteries next weekend, you'll find that the available flying time will be greatly reduced.
2020-5-22
Use props
pjglad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-22 15:44
The batteries aren't just dumb electricity storage devices, they have built-in firmware to manage the batteries, report their status to the Mavic Air 2, and optimize the health of the batteries. One aspect that you should be aware of is that the batteries will automatically start discharging themselves to a storage level if you charge them and then don't fly with the batteries for several days. So if you fully charge the batteries but don't get to fly this weekend because of lousy weather and expect to have fully charged batteries next weekend, you'll find that the available flying time will be greatly reduced.

Thanks for responding but  I am still confused. There is a firmware REV for the drone and the controller but there is no firmware Rev for the batteries. Ok, the batteries are smart but Where/How do you update them? I checked DJI Assistant and there is no reference re updating batterries
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I don’t know of a way to check the firmware version of the batteries, it’s not displayed anywhere. But if you use DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, it will report a compatibility issue when it connects to the Mavic Air 2 and update the battery.
2020-5-22
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I've always used Assistant, works great every time.
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-22 11:48

When you reconnect, you'll see a prompt that says firmware inconsistent or something like that.
If you don't see it, you probably updated it already.
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It would look like this:

?https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/ ... g7yk4iyfs72kr5m.png
2020-5-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

As I said before, that didn’t appear when powering up with each of the three batteries and then checking for firmware updates using DJI Fly. The message did appear when using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic.
2020-5-23
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

For the original poster - I’m new to this game too and just used the Fly App to update the firmware, with no apparent problem. This is probably the most straightforward option. Like MisterFrag I did later find that using DJI Assistant found firmware updates for two of the batteries but I suspect the fly app updated the battery fitted to the drone at the time. I don’t think the battery update was a critical item
2020-5-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

pjglad Posted at 5-22 16:09
Thanks for responding but  I am still confused. There is a firmware REV for the drone and the controller but there is no firmware Rev for the batteries. Ok, the batteries are smart but Where/How do you update them? I checked DJI Assistant and there is no reference re updating batterries

Hi Pjglad, there is no individual firmware for the battery, it is built-in the drone firmware. If an update is needed, a prompt will pop out when the unit is connected to the APP or DJI Assistant software.
2020-5-25
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
United States

Smashey1 Posted at 5-23 03:34
For the original poster - I’m new to this game too and just used the Fly App to update the firmware, with no apparent problem. This is probably the most straightforward option. Like MisterFrag I did later find that using DJI Assistant found firmware updates for two of the batteries but I suspect the fly app updated the battery fitted to the drone at the time. I don’t think the battery update was a critical item

When I first activated the drone I updated the firmware through the DJI Fly app. I flew it on the first battery. When I put the second batter in there was a message that I needed to update the firmware for that battery and the same thing happened with the third battery so I should be all squared away.
2020-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules