Mavic Mini Drifting
1333 19 2020-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United States

Hi All, just finished a flight where my MM wouldn't stop drifting.  Any ideas why this would happen?

I was about 900 ft out and 70 ft high over water.  I was using the gridlines to get a picture of a marina.  I couldn't really tell if it was yawing or actually drifting sideways.  either way it was drifting (kind of) quickly without any inputs.  Almost as if I needed a little rudder subtrim for you old helicopter guys.  The only way I could tell it was drifting was because I had turned on the gridlines.

Is this normal.  Makes it hard to get a photo.

Also, there were no warnings or messages.  Otherwise the flight was uneventful.

Thanks
2020-5-22
Use props
Ruffelyfe
New
United States

Wind? I've flown over a Jetty roughly 1.2 miles out from my position and for me it was the wind.. almost lost sight... but had friends in a boat!
2020-5-22
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes this happens because of the water reflection, but 70 feet is high enough that it should not affect the drone, but that's a possibility. Also, did you calibrate the IMU?
2020-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you post flight log, this is the only real method of finding out what went wrong.

Your drone once it has gps lock reception should not be drifting .
2020-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2020-5-23
Use props
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your help.  The directions say I must use a mac to retive from an IOS phone.  I don't have a Mac, is there a way around this?
2020-5-23
Use props
Francoisd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Hi,

By using itunes you should be able to access the logs : https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips ... logs-from-itunes.29
2020-5-23
Use props
djiuser_ziFHNyLzCL3u
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58012 ft
United States

My MM actually began drifting today after I attempted to fly over water for the first time. Unfortunately it then wouldn't respond to controls and began descending until it crashed into the water and disappeared. No wind, no warnings. I don't get it.
2020-5-23
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

djiuser_ziFHNyLzCL3u Posted at 5-23 17:37
My MM actually began drifting today after I attempted to fly over water for the first time. Unfortunately it then wouldn't respond to controls and began descending until it crashed into the water and disappeared. No wind, no warnings. I don't get it.

You should post your flight logs here. Someone will be able to tell you what happened.
2020-5-23
Use props
djharrisx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5718163 ft
United Kingdom

JimmyPickles Posted at 5-23 07:44
Thanks for your help.  The directions say I must use a mac to retive from an IOS phone.  I don't have a Mac, is there a way around this?

On your iPhone you can use the Files app, which comes pre-installed on the phone, to get at your Flight Records.

Navigate to 'On My iPhone' -> 'DJI Fly' -> 'Flight Records' (not 'Logs'). Find the file with the timestamp that corresponds to the flight(s) concerned. Tap the 'Select' button at the top right, then the files(s) you're interested in and a blue tick should appear.

With the files selected, use the icon at the bottom left  (a box with an arrow pointing upwards), which will give you a range of options to export the files.  The simplest is probably to email the file(s) to yourself. You can also open the phantomhelp.com web site on your iPhone and upload the files directly using the 'Browse' button to navigate to 'On My iPhone' as above.

Hope this is useful.
2020-5-24
Use props
B Mills
lvl.2
United States

Deucalion Posted at 5-23 19:51
You should post your flight logs here. Someone will be able to tell you what happened.

Thank you, I will attempt to do that. Where is the log located on android?
2020-5-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

B Mills Posted at 5-24 10:53
Thank you, I will attempt to do that. Where is the log located on android?

root / dji / dji go 5 / flightrecord / *.txt
2020-5-24
Use props
B Mills
lvl.2
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-24 10:57
root / dji / dji go 5 / flightrecord / *.txt

Thank you.
2020-5-24
Use props
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
United States

Hi guys, flight data link below.  That said, I'm not seeing as much info as I've seen in other posts.  Did I miss a step?

I started noticing drifting around the 4 min mark.  After thinking more about this the drone must have been yawing as simple sideways drifting wouldn't be visible using the gridlines as the marina was another 2K ft away.  As you can see on the map it is difficult to not fly over water in my neighborhood so I try to embrace it!

I have no doubt that my issue is user error.  I just need to identify that error so I can correct it.

Thanks so much for the help.  Djharris, your instructions were awesome!

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/EK6BADEX9W0193ZNUSNF/

2020-5-24
Use props
B Mills
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_ziFHNyLzCL3u Posted at 5-23 17:37

Here is my flight log if anyone is able/willing to check it out.
https://app.airdata.com/share/SoCCTA

Thank you,
Barry
2020-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

B Mills Posted at 5-24 12:29
Here is my flight log if anyone is able/willing to check it out.
https://app.airdata.com/share/SoCCTA

This incident is explained is in your other thread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =216371&pid=2168519
2020-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

just finished a flight where my MM wouldn't stop drifting.  Any ideas why this would happen?
I was about 900 ft out and 70 ft high over water

I'm looking at a spreadsheet with over 8000 lines of data.
The two places where you were about 900 ft out and 70 ft high, were at 2:29 and 8:15 and in both, you were fly in over open water at 14 mph.
Can you help narrow down the time where the alleged drifting occurred?
2020-5-24
Use props
JimmyPickles
lvl.2
United States

Yes, as I see on the data I was further out, about 1,300 ft, my apologies.  about 4 min into the flight.  I can post the video, as well, as the drifting is pretty obvious
2020-5-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JimmyPickles Posted at 5-24 18:09
Yes, as I see on the data I was further out, about 1,300 ft, my apologies.  about 4 min into the flight.  I can post the video, as well, as the drifting is pretty obvious

Looking at your flight data around 4:00 ... you gave a lottle right stick then left the drone ho hover at 3:59.5.
The forward speed dropped to zero at 4:0.5 and the drone started slowly blowing back at about 0.2 - 1 mph with no joystick input until 4:18.9 and started again soon after.
The most likely explanation would be that the wind up there was stronger than the drone could fight and hold position.

You didn't spend much of the flight trying to hover precisely so didn't notice this at other times but it's evident again at 7:56 and 8:29.
The Mini is underpowered and very slow and sometimes shows a bad fault that prevents it tilting forward to maintain speed or fight the wind.
Normally it can't hold position if the wind exceeds 18mph but around 4:04 when it was drifting, yours was tilting no more than 9 degrees and mostly much less.
It wasn't even trying to fight the breeze due to this fault.
2020-5-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

JimmyPickles Posted at 5-24 12:16
Hi guys, flight data link below.  That said, I'm not seeing as much info as I've seen in other posts.  Did I miss a step?

I started noticing drifting around the 4 min mark.  After thinking more about this the drone must have been yawing as simple sideways drifting wouldn't be visible using the gridlines as the marina was another 2K ft away.  As you can see on the map it is difficult to not fly over water in my neighborhood so I try to embrace it!

Hi Jimmy,

It is a pity that this 'drifting' in not recorderd on video, or did you had a screen recording active during the whole flight?

Around 4 minute mark the heading of your MM change, from a steady 32 degrees to 58 to 72 degrees . This with no yaw input!

See line 2391 and further in my chart.

Don`t know why this happend, has to do with your compass my guess. If the heading was disturbed by wind than afterwards the heading was corrected again by the sw, but it did not return to the heading 032. Next 25 seconds, with no input heading remains at 072, position did not change ; steady at 415 meters away from HP.
Mayby the DAT file will give more information about his 'error'.

In the other chart you see this yellow heading line goes vertical at 2400, this indicates a yaw move without yaw input ( only yellow horizontal lines are OKE  )

In the polar chart the moment that the heading value changed, and seconds after that, within 1.5 meter craft is holding its postion.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2020-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules